The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1
jtravisbayne

Berry's Mfg Bullets - Opinions Wanted

Anyone have any strong opinions on Berry's Mfg Preferred Plated Pistol Bullets? I'm looking for a low cost jacketed alternative to hard cast lead (the indoor range I use doesn't allow lead bullets). I am specifically looking at the 9mm 124 gr RN. They seem like a good buy ($71.97 per 1,000 w/ free shipping) and are not much more expensive compared to some of the lead bullets I've found, but any opinions are welcome.

Also, if you have a more economical alternative that you've had good luck with, please share as well.

Thanks

TB
Old February 20, 2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Inspector3711

They're good for practice and plinking as are Rainier. I just bought 1000 .40 cal 155 grainers made by X-Treme but I haven't tried them yet. They were cheaper than the others because the store had them in 1000 count boxes. Just remember to load them with lead bullet data or below 1100-1200 FPS or you'll strip them and foul your barrel. They aren't copper jacketed.
Old February 20, 2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Mtn Biker

I run their 115 gr in my 9mm as my main reload. Great bullets. Good company to do business with.

VL
Old February 20, 2009, 02:36 AM   #4
Big-dog

I have reloaded about 1000 115gn projectiles and have found them to be pretty good overall. The copper plating seems to be fairly thick and I have had no probs with my polygonal barreled handgun at all. Next I will use the 124 gn projectiles next and see how good they are.
thank a Veteran
Old February 20, 2009, 06:57 AM   #5
RickV

You can get the same bullets except they are FMJ instead of plated for the same price from precision delta. Only difference is they only offer free shipping on orders of 2000 or more. I got 1000 115g and 1000 124g from them and have been happy with the results.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:40 AM   #6
klcmschlesinger

Berry's is good

Have used the for years. No problems. Nice and economical. RickV, thanks for the info, I may give them a try.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old February 20, 2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
You can get the same bullets except they are FMJ instead of plated for the same price from precision delta. Only difference is they only offer free shipping on orders of 2000 or more
Thanks for the tip on this supplier... looks pretty good! Just visited the site but it seems to me that if you order component bullets only (not loaded ammo or other products), you get FREE shipping on any amount of bullets. YMMV.

Back to Berry's -- I have limited experience with them, but it's all recent experience, and it's good! I've used their 158 gr for .38 Special and their 124 gr RN for 9mm, both give good results, a clean bore, and a happy rangemaster at the indoor range. I still use lead for most of my shooting, which is outdoors.

I just visited the Berry's site a couple of days ago and ordered up some 100 grain .380 bullets and I'm trying their 110 grain .30 Carbine bullets. While the handgun bullets are meant for 1200 FPS and under, the .30 Carb's are rated to 1600 fps, which should work well for me out of my 7.5 inch barreled Blackhawk. Anyone that loads .30 Carb has seen this silly JSP and FMJ bullets creeping toward $15 per hundred and beyond, which is silly money for a reloader to be spending on cheap little .30 Carb ammo. If these plated bullets return the accuracy I've come to expect from jacketed, then I'm going this way and never looking back.

On that subject, they also make a plated 110 grainer in 3.11" diameter, for 7.62x39. Now I don't own any SKS/AK, but I know a lot of folks do... this is a light bullet for that caliber, but perhaps it's worth giving a look if you do that round. I don't see me ever going to that caliber, but maybe someone else can use the info.

One more quick tip with regards to Berry's -- their flip-top ammo boxes are, in my opinion, THE best in the industry. Who cares, right, it's just a stupid plastic box? Well, I love 'em... especially the clear ones, so you can see right in 'em without a heavy color to see what you have. Also, they seem to be a more pliable type of plastic, if that makes sense -- they work better, just feel better and the plastic seems to be more durable. And like their plated bullets, shipping on their ammo boxes is free.

If I had to do it all over again, I would move out all my Midway, Frankford, MTM and whatever else, and replace each and every one of them with Berry's clear plastic.
Old February 20, 2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Sevens

Re-read the Delta Precision site -- they offer a quantity discount when you buy 6,000 bullets or more. You may mix or match to come up with 6,000, but it must be at least 2,000 of one kind when you mix or match. So the 2,000 number relates to quantity discount.

Shipping is still FREE on all bullet orders!
Old February 20, 2009, 10:30 AM   #9
RickV

Not to disagree with you but when I first ordered from them I tried to order 1000 of 115g FMJs they called me when they got around to my order and told me that to get free shipping I had to order 2000. So I said OK give me 1000 of the 124g too.
Old February 20, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10
Sevens

You are probably correct, as you've actually dealt with them. I was only trying to translate a somewhat confusing website.

Either way, looks like a decent alternative to more expensive bullets!
Old February 20, 2009, 01:19 PM   #11
RickV

Quote:
You are probably correct, as you've actually dealt with them. I was only trying to translate a somewhat confusing website.

Either way, looks like a decent alternative to more expensive bullets!
You are right on the confusing part when I orginally order the 1000 I thought shipping was free. I have no issues with their product though great bullets for the $$$$. One thing to add as with all reloading supplies they are running behind due to demand so don't expect to get a 3 day turn around on your order.
Old February 20, 2009, 01:47 PM   #12
ZeSpectre

I've used Berry's now for a bunch of reloading.

1k .45
2k 9mm (double struck)
1k .40/10mm
500 .380

Started with 500 of the 9mm and was very pleased so I've kept buying.
I don't know how they stack up against others but taken alone the bullets have been good for plinking and practice and I've had ZERO issues so far. Heck a couple of the boxes had an extra 4-5 bullets in 'em
Old February 20, 2009, 02:03 PM   #13
snuffy

http://www.precisiondeltasales.com/

A quick look at the prec delta site shows they offer jacketed bullets cheaper than X-treme plated in the same weight, 40 165. $98.00 as compared to $111.00 for X-treme.

I've always been told that rainier has the thinnest plating, berry's has the next thickest, and X-treme has the thickest. Now, X-treme used to be called west coast bullets. They sold out to the guy that makes the aero-tip muzzleloader bullets, he wanted a cheaper place to get them plated. Apparently he wanted to move the operation, Red at west coast said to heck with that, bought it back and re-named it X-treme.

Another thing to consider. Rainier simply plated the bare lead core, no sizing. Berry's plated and then sizes certain bullets in their line. X-treme sizes them all after plating, calling them double struck.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 20, 2009, 03:14 PM   #14
fireroad

I'm looking at Berry's as well, but my problem is too many choices (and acronyms). For 180 gr 40 cal they have flat point double struck, hollow point, round nose, round shoulder or hollow base flat point.....? Can someone explain which style and why? Sorry to hijack, hopefully this is relevant to any caliber.
Old February 20, 2009, 06:49 PM   #15
Ron

I just got my first shipment in from Berry's, 1000 rds. of 115 grs,9mm. Haven't loaded any yet but they look great. I'm gonna load some up tonight and hit the range tomorrow.
Old February 20, 2009, 07:16 PM   #16
SL1

Ranier's website says that ALL of their bullets are "restrike" formed. I think only some of Berry's are restrikes.

I have started using Ranier 155 gr .40s and have good experience with them so far.

SL1
Old February 20, 2009, 08:12 PM   #17
Inspector3711

I bought 1000 XTreme 155 grain .40's two weeks ago at Sportmans for $47 per 500. With tax I paid about $100.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:30 PM   #18
RickV

Quote:
I just got my first shipment in from Berry's, 1000 rds. of 115 grs,9mm. Haven't loaded any yet but they look great. I'm gonna load some up tonight and hit the range tomorrow.
Question for you. How long did it take to get them? I ordered 250 125 GR FP 38spl from Berry's last weekend.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:45 PM   #19
ZeSpectre

Mine showed up in 3 days...but that was before this buying frenzy went kaboom. Seriously I can't even find packs of 22 in my area right now
Old February 20, 2009, 08:58 PM   #20
RickV

I know what you mean about the 22's. I ended up ordering from Cabelas. They had a OK deal, buy 4 boxes of the Federal 550 pack and they threw in a ammo box. Ended up costing me $92 with shipping but at least I have a small stockpile.
Old February 21, 2009, 06:45 PM   #21
Ron

Mine showed up in about 1 week, loaded up a few rounds this morning but haven't been to the range yet.
Old February 22, 2009, 12:33 AM   #22
strictly1

have loaded up the 9mm,40cal and 45 from berry's. all real nice
Old February 24, 2009, 09:02 AM   #23
Sevens

I made an order directly from Berry's at their website on Sunday evening, February 15th. Yesterday, I received all of it in two different packages. That's a week from order to doorstep, and all with *FREE* shipping.

I picked up 2 boxes of 100 grain .380 bullets (500 total), 2 boxes of 124 gr 9mm bullets (500 of those) and I tried a box (250) of the 110 grain .30 Carb bullets. I also grabbed 8 of the Berry's flip-top boxes that I like so much.

One week, free shipping, and 1,250 bullets... in-stock? Wow. I was also impressed with the quality of the packaging. Sounds like a no-brainer for an established company, and it usually is... but it's bullets we are talking about, and we all know how much care HAS to go in to the packaging or they simply come apart en route.

I've only used their bullets in .38 Special and 9mm, so the others are new to me and I can't yet report how well they shoot. But punch them up on the web and check out the prices. And I've already ranted on why their ammo boxes are my favorite. Toss in free shipping and ultra-quick turnaround at what might be the single worst time in recorded history for buying anything related to firearms or shooting, and it all adds up to a winner.

These guys might be the best kept secret out there right now.
Old February 24, 2009, 09:24 AM   #24
jtravisbayne

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I placed an order for 1,000 115 gr. 9mm's last night. And thanks to Sevens' glowing review of the ammo boxes, I got 15 of those too. All with free shipping.

Can't wait to get them so I can be "legal" again at the indoor range.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:31 PM   #25
RT9

Berry's MFG

Hey, Im new to the reloading world. I ordered berrys 9mm 124 fp. What powder you using and how many gr of powder you using. Anyone using Unique.