The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 10, 2011, 07:40 PM   #1
MrDontPlay

SBR 10/22 questions

I'd like to SBR my 10/22. I was talking to my local class 3 dealer and he said that on the form you have to put the over all length. does this mean I cant change out the barrel for a shorter of longer one after my rifle is registered?

Does anyone have suggestion for a good SBR stock for a 10/22? I was thinking about getting a butler creek folding stock and cutting the forend down but if there is a stock that wouldnt require cutting then I would prefer that. Right now it has a tapco stock but I dont think there's much I can do with it. I'm wanting a 5" threaded bull barrel.

If anyone has a SBR 10/22 post up some pics!
Old October 10, 2011, 11:29 PM   #2
David Hineline

On a gun like this where the stock config. and barrel config. can change, pick an original configuration, list that data.

In the other section put also to be used with stocks from X" to X" and barrel lengths from Y" to Y"

On a gun that the barrel is perma attatched if the barrel length is changed then BATFE wants an update sent in so they can change the registry.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:41 AM   #3
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hineline
In the other section put also to be used with stocks from X" to X" and barrel lengths from Y" to Y"
The ATF won't let you do that any more. As you stated, you need to choose ONE configuration that will be the "permanent" configuration. Then you can mix and match on a "temporary basis" to your heart's content. However you *should* always keep the parts so you can put the gun back to it's "original" configuration.

Should you change your "permanent" configuaration, you would still need to write the ATF a letter. However, it will take a LONG time before they send you a confirmation letter about your configuration change. (Like more than a YEAR.)
Old October 11, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4
MrM4

Ive sent letters on a few occasions that let ATF know that the gun had been alltered, it took about 18 months to get a responce and basically they sent me a letter saying thanks but you can do what ever length and caliber you want once its a SBR. ( im paraphrasing ofcourse)

Register it in the configuration you intend to use most and after than you can switch barrels as you like.
Old October 11, 2011, 08:51 PM   #5
David Hineline

I do it all the time. While ATF will not allow N/A in caliber or total length or in barrel length you can write any thing you want describing the firearm in the other box.
Old October 11, 2011, 08:58 PM   #6
MrM4

Dave I dont know if its because you have a SOT or if its your examiner, but I have seen 4 or 5 guys around here try it on Form 1s and fail. Ive never done it personally so no 1st hand experance.
Old October 11, 2011, 08:58 PM   #7
rjrivero

Thanks Dave. I got one kicked back, and from then on just declared what the "usual" configuration would be. When I talked to my examiner, the response was essentially my previous post.

I missed the fact that you're putting the description in "Other."
Old October 17, 2011, 08:40 PM   #8
vwfool

I didn't have a problem with my SBS 870. I put the OAL as what it was with the full buttstock, and in the other box I stated OAL was 24" with the pistol grip installed. Before building it, I wondered if some overly anal person might complain that my paperwork said the barrel is 12.5", so I can't put a 28" barrel with choke tubes on it. I now know that most people don't care. I don't either because I had my 12.5" barrel cut for screw in chokesī—