The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1
DG45

Aguila minishells ok in old single barrel?

I've recently been looking for blackpowder shells to shoot in my old 110 year old 12 gauge single barrel Forehand Arms shotgun. It was beginning to look like I would have to "roll my own" -until I saw something in a Midway catalog today that might just work in my gun.

Midway carries 1 3/4 inch "minishell" shotgun shells" made by Aguila Ammunition. (Midway Product # 162-922 at $14.49 per 20) These shells are apparently intended for youth, and are mainly if not exclusively meant for use in single and double barrel guns. (The Midway ad says they won't work in automatics - which I assume just means they won't recycle the actions - and also mentions that pump guns may require "modifications" in order to to shoot them).

These Aguila minishells come in #4 and #1 buckshot. They use modern smokeless powder (I think) but its apparently a very light powder charge because the shot only develops 366 fps muzzle velocity according to the ads. I can almost spit that fast.

I don't know what the purpose of these minishells is, unless they're just used to train kids to shoot shotguns (but I guess they might have some crime deterrent value. I wouldn't want to be shot with one of these at close range, would you?).

Anyway, I'm just looking for something that will go boom and actually launch a load of shot from my old gun without bursting its ancient barrel. Do you think these minishells would be safe to shoot in my gun - even though these minishells appear to use modern smokeless powder? (PS, Just looking for your opinions. I won't sue you if you're wrong).
Old December 30, 2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Big Bill

Why don't you call the ammo manufacturer and ask them? It would be hard to say yes, and then you go try it and blow up the gun and maybe even yourself.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; December 30, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
darkgael

Aquila

That velocity is a misprint. They wouldn't be of much use if they only developed 336 fps.
The velocity is 1175 fps.
Don't know the pressure involved but if you expect that they are extra low pressure; they probably are not.
The reason that they will not cycle is semi-autos is as much or more related to their length as it is their pressure.
btw - BP shotshells are easy to reload, especially brass hulls. You need an absolute minimum of equipment - a depriming tool and a repriming tool. (a thin punch and a piece of metal tubing).
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; December 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:47 AM   #4
MortalWombat

If you are referring to the velocity posted in this chart, note that it's 366 meters/sec, 1200 ft/sec for the buck:

Old December 31, 2009, 02:48 PM   #5
DG45

Thanks to all those who've responded. Your input makes it clear that these Aguila "minishells are much more powerful than I thought they were, and that they would probably be dangerous to shoot in my old gun. (I was led astray by Midways January 2010 #271 mailer I received yesterday which reported the velocity of these minishells to be 366 fps. Apparently this should have been 366 meters per second which is about three times the velocity that the ad indicated.) I'm sure glad I ran this by the forum before ordering, and I'm sure glad you guys took the time and effort to put me straight. You deserve a pat on the back. You may very well have prevented an injury. I'll be buying brass hulls and handloading with black powder as darkgael suggested. Thanks again guys!
Old December 31, 2009, 03:19 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

You do not have to buy brass casings just for black powder. Use paper one from the range dumpster. Load them till they burn through. Cutt off the folded crimp and use a Lyman roll crimper with over shot cards. The shorter shells will tell you they are loaded with black.
Old December 31, 2009, 03:31 PM   #7
oneounceload

Velocities mean nothing compared to pressure. The size of the shell does not determine pressure, the loading does.

IF a qualified gunsmith has blessed the gun safe to shoot, I would wuggest looking at RST or Polywad for low-pressure vintager shells
Old December 31, 2009, 07:04 PM   #8
darkgael

lo

DG - you have lots of options. Paper hulls, as suggested, are what I use more often than not. Brass hulls are easy to load. Low pressure shells - I have the Falcon Lite from RST downstairs on the shelf.
Choices.
Pete