The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 14, 2008, 08:50 PM   #26
TripIII

+2 or 3 on Capt. I would wait. If there were more noise, call 911. Then wait some more. If no more noise? Now it gets tricky/scary. What kind of noise was it? Was it something I could explain? Was it a noise that sounded like a forced entry? How long should I wait? Wake/gather the kids? More firepower? Wife backup? Get my jeans on? Electronic ear muffs?
...There just doesn't seem to be any guarantees in living.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:26 PM   #27
Tim Burke

Steps are hard. Some basement steps are open in the back, so a guy under the steps can see the feet of the guy coming down; those are even harder. There are techniques to deal with steps. About the only one I think is any good at all involves a team and a trained K-9.
If the game is rigged, don't play. Use Capt Charley's approach.
Old May 18, 2008, 04:49 PM   #28
Dwight55

You need to make a quality decision on that stairway:

Do I want to harden the basement so that I can seriously believe no one can get down there without sawing bars, . . . breaking locks, . . . etc.?

Do I want to just take the chance and run pall mall down the stairs with the idea that I might get the jump on them?

Do I want to make it easy for me to get to the basement un-detected and ready if need be for a fight?

If you answered yes to either of the first two, . . . you know what you have to do.

If you answered yes to the last one, . . . get a couple of your strong back (and weak mind) buddies, . . . and build two things: first a new set of concrete steps (they don't creak or give when you step on them), . . . and lay up a 4 inch solid concrete block wall on the open side of your stairs, . . . all the way to the bottom.

The total job if you are handy at all yourself shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks, . . . and will put you all the way to the bottom, safely.

May God bless,
Dwight

PS: Want to guess who does not have a basement in their house, . . . and for what reason, among others
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!