The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Greywolf

Humidity inside gun safe

OK, having just spent $2200 on a new safe, I was wondering what I should be expecting or shooting for regarding humidity.

It is in a closet, in a house in central Florida. According to my meter, it is a constant 79.5 degrees and 52% humidity. I have a goldenrod in there plus a rechargeable silica pack.

I do store my blued firearms in Gunkote bags, make sure all metal is wiped down and oiled. So far no issues in my previous safe other than one small spot on a pistol that I didn't catch until I noticed the rust, and now I keep it ultra-oiled.

Is this OK, or should I look for more ways to reduce the humidity.

BTW - it is usually about 45%-50% inside the rest of the house with the AC running all the time in the summer.
Old August 26, 2007, 09:27 AM   #2
fisherman66

A "golden rod" dehumidifier is pretty standard issue for large safes. If you are still concerned you can put a bucket of silica gel in there and bake the moisture out of the gel in the oven every 6 months or so.

Edit: I should have read closer. I got type happy after reading the first couple sentences. You should be just fine with you set up as long as you bake the silica so often and you keep a thin layer of gun oil (or auto wax) on everything.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:35 PM   #3
M3 Pilot

you might want to try

a couple of camphor blocks also. But with the dessicant & golden rod you're probably OK
Old September 20, 2007, 01:23 AM   #4
predecessor

Quote:
I was wondering what I should be expecting or shooting for regarding humidity.
I'm looking for the same info - I see a lot of posts with suggestions for dehumidifiers but I'm curious to know what humidity % is ideal for gun storage?

What is the humidity range that is best? Less than 50%? Less than 25%? Zero humidity? (is that even possible?)
Old September 20, 2007, 07:31 AM   #5
NCHornet

I have my large gun safe in a basement room that also houses a large hot tub , I have a dehumidifier in the room but the bucket doesn't get emptied on a regular bases, so the room is pretty humid, but using just the Golden Rod in the safe has kept all of my collection rust free for the last 12 years so I say you are fine.
Old September 21, 2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Don P

Things should be fine. My safe is in a converted room and all I run is a can of desicant and so far things are ok. The room has a A/C window unit that is on all the time, like I said no problems so far from April is when the room was finished
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.