The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 11, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1
mrgoodwrench76

Competition shooting questions

I am considering entering into some competition shooting (open admission) and was curious as to what to expect. I plan to start in the centerfire auto pistol and rimfire rifle groups using a Glock 17 and Savage BTVS in 17HMR. I am quite confident in both firearms (perhaps more so than myself) and was curious how I measured up beore I enter. I hoped to get an idea of what average groupings were for the 17HMR at ranges from 50 to 200 (no wind, choice of ammo) and the Glock at close range. I am also considering a Sig 1911 GS carry for the 1911 group. Unfortunately I dont shoot with many other people and when I do, they are seldom 'practiced' as much as myself which makes for a poor comparison. Any (honest) information would be welcomed with gratitude.
Old March 12, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Lavid2002

Depends on what kinda competition...and how good the other competitors are....

But really...Who cares? I know I sure dont. Just go shoot and have a good time. If you do well good for you. If you dont you will be surrounded by people who can shoot better than you who can help you shoot better. Which is always a good thing.

Its all about having fun. Why would you go out there for any other reason? :P

Have a good time

-Dave
Old March 13, 2010, 02:31 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...how I measured up..." Don't worry about that. It doesn't matter. Nobody will laugh at you. It just isn't done.
Like Lavid2002 says, a lot depends on the kind of matches you want to shoot. There's something for everybody though.
You may want to re-think the .17 HMR though. Expensive stuff compared to .22 LR. Mind you, if that's what you have, go anyway. Competitive shooting is great fun and you'll meet some truly fabulous people.
Old March 24, 2010, 07:51 PM   #4
kraigwy

Shooting compititons dont care how you do, (to a point), they care about getting more shooters involve.

I said, "to a point" but thats not accurate, you will find many more experience shooters that will care enough to help you on your way, with coaching, tips or both.

Like I said, they are interested in getting more shooters.

Make like Nike and JUST DO IT
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 24, 2010, 10:23 PM   #5
azredhawk44

Sounds like you want to win. Which is perfectly okay.

But, guess what: You won't. Most range visitors are downright "lacking" when it comes to marksmanship in the various shooting disciplines out there. Comparing yourself against them is an exercise in futility, unless you know their shooting background.

Just go, and enter a competition of your choice, and see how you do. Then you'll know. And you'll immediately get a good idea of what you need to practice to become the best (or at least, better than you were last week), and exactly how much work it will take.
Old March 25, 2010, 06:23 AM   #6
darkgael

Competition

Just go shoot. The people that you will meet at matches are helpful and accepting of anyone who is serious about entering the sport.
As most posters have commented, much of what will happen depends on your choice of competition.
Bullseye match shooting (also called Conventional Pistol to differentiate it from International Pistol) has three gun match shooting (.22/Centerfire/.45). You'd have to have a .22 and a .45 to shoot all three but.....you can shoot the Centerfire match with your Glock. (Before she got too busy, we had an FBI agent shooting in our indoor pistol league; she used her duty gun for Centerfire, a 40S&W.)
One thing that you will notice once you start competitions is that standards for accuracy are way different than the normal range trip. The shooting that the Masters/High Masters do borders on magical.
Match shooting is absolutely the best practice.
Pete