The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2002, 08:22 AM   #1
ACP230

590 Sluggin'

I shot a few slugs through my Mossberg 590 last week. I'd been shooting a Garand and an M1A before it. The ghost ring sight on the Mossberg looked massive compared to the smaller peeps on the rifles. It was just as easy to hit with a 50 yards though.

The slugs were fun. I had a small silhouette target on a larger, target reversed so there was a lot of white and a small black target in the middle of it. I'd used the same set up for the rifles and had to walk down to see how I was really doing. There was no doubt with the slugs. Every BOOM was followed instantly by a big hole in the target. Even with reduced recoil slugs the 590, which is light for its size because of the synthetic furniture, booted me around some. I was smiling after every shot though. I shot two three-shot groups and in both two slugs were touching and one was about an inch away.

I may have to buy some more of those Remington 12 gauge slug loads.
Old August 28, 2002, 05:15 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Slugging can be fun. Try some other slugs and see how they do. You may beat those groups...
Old August 29, 2002, 01:43 AM   #3
imadork

I too have used the 590 and its ghost ring sights are surprisingly good, even after using the M1A. Surprisingly, the accuracy of the gun itself is excellent-- what ammo were you using? I use S&B special slug in mine and get comparable groups to the one you mentioned.
Old August 29, 2002, 08:38 AM   #4
ACP230

I was using Remington "Reduced Recoil" slugs. I don't remember what the slug weighed, and can't find the boxes right now. I don't remember where I got the slugs either. My son just found them in the shotgun shell stash the day we went to the range.
I may try buckshot next since there's a little of that in the stash too.