The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 27, 2002, 11:42 AM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

Improved mossberg (or 870, i suppose) magazine plug idea

I was cleaning my shotgun the other day and noticed again how cheezy the mossberg bird plug is.

Would anyone be interested in a replacement takedown screw with a drilled and tapped hole in it so that a steel rod of the requisite length could be screwed into the hole, stocking down into the magazine tube and limiting the capacity? (i suppose you could sharpen the rod and insert it the other way if you wanted a rod bayonet)

I was thinking this would be a better system than the little wooden plug since the whole assembly would come out when you took off the barrel, and the limiter rod could have a nice knob on it so you could take it out without dissassembling the shotgun.
Old August 28, 2002, 04:07 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It oughta work, Andrew, but most folks will not see any improvement, so they won't go for it.

Mag plugs have ranged from solid steel chunks the size of two shells to cut down pencils. They all work....