The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 24, 2002, 11:01 AM   #1
CrociJA

Opinions on a quality holster for a Taurus 617

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I'm looking for a good holster for a 2 1/2" Taurus 617. Here's the rub, my guess is that the pistol shares some similar dimensions to the S&W "L" frames, notibly the S&W 686 7-shot revolver.
Now here's where it gets complicated, I would prefer either to carry IWB or maybe pancake at the 4 o'clock position on my hip.
Since this is my CCW weapon I would like the least exposure as possible. I've found with this pistol the grips tend to stick out when I carry IWB a little behind my right hip.
I'm looking for a good, practical holster and truth be told I don't want to spend $100.00 on it. I also know that quality comes with a price. So I'm looking at spending @$50.00-$70.00 on a good holster (Hume and Sparks be damned!). Yes I do have a good quality double sided belt made specifically for handguns.
Any ideas? One more thing going to any other pistol is NOT an option. This is my gal, I shoot her well, she's reliable and I prefer the .357 revolver for concealed carry.

Edited with 20% extra goodness and has twice as many vitamins and minerals as other posts.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jon

Last edited by CrociJA; August 25, 2002 at 01:11 PM.
Old August 25, 2002, 04:29 PM   #2
Drjones

Hi. See my post HERE about my new holster.

I recommend this wholeheartedly. I have done LOTS of research on holsters, and was confident and fairly happy with my Kydex tuckable I got from FIST, but this just blows it away.

Read the post and see...

Drjones
Old August 25, 2002, 07:32 PM   #3
Chief Jones

Croc,

The solution that I'm using for my 617 (for the time being) is to use an Uncle Mikes IWB holster (the one that also fits Glock 23). I wear it deep & don't use the clip.

I agree with you on the 617--mine shoots to point of aim and goes BOOM every time I pull the trigger.

What are you using for carry ammo? I'm currently using 357 158 grain LSCHP.

Woody Jones
Old August 25, 2002, 07:36 PM   #4
Chief Jones

My solution for my 617 (for the time being anyway) is to use an Uncle Mike's IWB (same one that fits the Glock 23). I wear it deep without using the belt clip.

BTW, what are you using for carry ammo? I've been using .357 158 grain LSWCHP.

Woody Jones
Old August 30, 2002, 07:46 AM   #5
CrociJA

DrJones- Appreciate the info. I've looked at everything but "bellybands", and I have come up with zilch. Seems that the holsters for the 617 lend themselves to either pancake or standard belt holsters. Not the best for Florida weather. Wondering if they could use gortex "bands" between the elastic to allow for a little better "breathability". But for $35.00? Looks like a fair price to me.
Chief Jones- When I go to the range in Citrus I tend to use Winchester .357 158 grain SP's. After 50-100 rounds of .357 I fire a couple of boxes of Federal .38 130 grain FMJ's.
One thing I can recommend is using some "Carters Compensator Spray" on the cylinder and any other places on the pistol that accumulates carbon. For me it's the barrel and the front of the cylinder. Helps in cleaning up afterward. Can usually find it through CTD.
As for carry ammunition I was leaning towards the 158 grain, but I think I may start trying out some Federal 124 grain JHP.
It's not the recoil. It's just that a lighter load should be able to do the same job. But I gotta admit, I love shooting those 158 grains!
Have to say one thing in passing. If you asked me back in 92' what brand of revolver I would of preferred, I probably would of said S&W based on brand name only. But truth be told I think the Taurus in many ways surpasses the current line-up from S&W.
Out of all the pistols in my collection the revolver is what I usually pull out first from the safe.
Price and the unlimited warranty are just of the few things that will make me keep going back to Taurus revolvers! Just wished they made a 7-shot .357 with a full underlug in Stainless Steel!

Jon