The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 1, 2002, 11:46 AM   #1
ThePatriot29

Which is the best Fox pepper spray for defense?

I know, a gun is so much better, but I'm still 3 years away from my CCW. Which Fox labs pepper spray is best for personal defense?

Also, anyone know the D.C. regs on carrying pepper spray?
Old July 1, 2002, 12:16 PM   #2
Gomez

If you've already decided on Fox, I guess you're asking about spray patterns and can size? I prefer a 2oz or larger heavy fog unit for pocket carry, but Fox doesn't make one that fits that description. Fox is supposed to be bringing out a flip-top medium cone unit, which'll be nice. For now, I use either a 2oz Medium Cone Cop-Top unit or a 2oz Flip-Top heavy stream unit when I carry Fox. I also, sometimes, carry BodyGuard LE-10 with the Flip-Top Fogger dispersal.

Gomez
Old July 2, 2002, 06:14 PM   #3
Blast

THREE YEARS? Man, that's a bit excessive
This is just my opinion, I don't put a whole lot of faith in pepper spray , at the very least I would go with a combination of pepper and CS mace; would prefer straight CS mace.
Old July 2, 2002, 06:20 PM   #4
KPS

Quote:
at the very least I would go with a combination of pepper and CS mace; would prefer straight CS mace
I believe Foxlabs is the strongest on the market today.As far as what kind to get, It may depend on you situations.I carry the compact size in a spray but there are times I would prefer a foam or fog.Perhaps get one of each.I do not recommend the small keychain size like I currently have because the clip will not clip onto any belts without slipping off.
Old July 2, 2002, 10:35 PM   #5
ThePatriot29

Blast: What do you mean excessive? I'm 18, and to get a CCW liscence in Virginia you must be 21. I know it's a long wait, but what can I say?

Thanks to all for the great advice.
Old July 3, 2002, 11:42 PM   #6
Blast

I didn't take age into account, Patriot29. I just jumped to the assumption that you were talking about a waiting period. My apologies
Old July 4, 2002, 01:22 PM   #7
VictorLouis

For those that choose cone dispertion

Aren't you concerned with the possibility of it blowing back into YOU? Not that this is impossible with the stream, just a lot less likely I would think. I'm considering a step-up from my ASP keyring unit, and FOX is supposed to be THEE choice, correct?