The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2000, 05:19 AM   #1
Jedi Oomodo

Yesterday I was at one of my local gun stores, when to my wondering eyes should appear? A Mossberg model 835, with a (I think) 18" bbl and camo pattern- not sure which one.

My question is, what is the semi-consensus on what length barrel you need for turkey, and what camo pattern (that is available on the 835) would I need, or does it matter? And finally, opinions on using the gun I described in a dual role as a home defender? While my fondest wish is to have a 590A1 and the 835, my current financial situation does not allow it, also considering that I ned a 20ga. for my wife as well. For the time being, I need a scattergun that can do double duty, and I can't (in my unlearned opinion ) see any reason why the particular 835 I drooled over couldn't.

------------------
Only in America, we're slaves to be free/Only in America, we kill the unborn, to make ends meet/Only in America, sexuality is democracy/Only in America, we stamp our god "In God we trust"

What is right or wrong?
I don't know who to believe in
My soul sings a different song, in America

If it isna Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Oomodo (edited May 18, 2000).]
Old May 18, 2000, 05:35 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Don't see why it wouldn't, JO. Most turkey guns,including mine, have 21 inch bbls. That makes mine one whole inch longer than my backup 870 and 3 inches longer than my HD piece. Take out the mag plug ands stuff it full of ammo and it's ready.

As for camo, whatever. As long as the thing isn't shiny or sprayed blaze orange, it'll do.
Old May 18, 2000, 08:51 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

As for the camo, I just use some of that camo netting I've had darn near forever draped loosely over the barrel and hanging down low. One or a couple of shots isn't going to get the barrel hot enough to affect the netting. Remember, in nature there are very few straight lines so whatever you get be sure to break up the straight-line outline.
Old May 18, 2000, 10:33 AM   #4
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

835, I think, has a two-shot (or is it a three shot?) box magazine. That makes "cruiser" storage iffy (only two rounds available). OTOH, you can keep shot and slug magazines handy and pick whichever you want. I suspect the design makes a round in the tube safe but would defer to folks who know more about it.
Old May 18, 2000, 08:38 PM   #5
Jedi Oomodo

I checked Mossberg's web site for more info on this series in question. The 835 apparently comes in either a 24" or 28" bbl length, though I'm almost positive the one I saw at the store was shorter than 24". It has a 5 round (with 2.75" shells) mag tube, with total capacity of 6. Dave, how many more rounds you think I would get by removing the magazine plug? Considering the '94 "It's a crime, Bill!", would removing said plug even be legal?

As far as the camo, once I get around to actual hunting, I would have the camo netting and all that anyway, so what fal308 says makes sense.

Some other nifty features I was reminded of: though it is chambered for 12ga. shells, the gun is overbored to 10ga. diameter, so you get a gradual choke effect for reduced felt recoil. The barrel is also ported for addt'l recoil redux. The particular model I looked at also came with fiber optic sights- I liked them as they were much easier to acquire than traditional white dots. I think I;ve found my gun. Now, how to pay for it...?

------------------
Only in America, we're slaves to be free/Only in America, we kill the unborn, to make ends meet/Only in America, sexuality is democracy/Only in America, we stamp our god "In God we trust"

What is right or wrong?
I don't know who to believe in
My soul sings a different song, in America

If it isna Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!
Old May 19, 2000, 05:36 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

JO, removing the plug is legal as far as I know. Hunting birds and waterfowl with a mag capable of taking more than 2 rounds is not.
You'll probably get another 2 rounds in that thing,and if 4 rounds of 12 ga ammo do not resolve a close range AS scenario, a few more probably won't help either.
Old May 20, 2000, 10:30 PM   #7
Jedi Oomodo

I think that answers my questions (for now, anyway). Thanks everyone for your insight.