The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2001, 04:24 PM   #1
Sisco

Need load advice for 25.06

Just ordered a new 25.06, seeking favorite bullet/powder/primer combos. Although I load for several handgun calibers, rifle is fairly new to me and experience with rifle powders is limited.
Old July 1, 2001, 04:47 PM   #2
Point Blank

Try www.loadswap.com. Page two of rifle loads has 5 loads listed.Triple check my typing!!! 1)120gr. Sierra HPBT 52.5GR. reloader 22 3090 fps. 2) 100gr. Nosler Bal. Tip 56.6 GR. H4831SC 3300 FPS. More there....sorry i am not a better typist!!!
Old July 1, 2001, 05:49 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I use H-414 for 100 grain bullets on down and H-4831 for 115 and 117 and 120 grain bullets. Check the newer Hodgdon manuals or their on-line data ............... start low and work up.......each rifle is a law unto itself.
Old July 2, 2001, 11:39 AM   #4
Sisco

How about some opinions on brass & bullets? I do load .22 Hornet and it seems the Win brass is thicker than Rem., assuming it will last longer.
Nosler Partitions for Whitetail?
Old July 4, 2001, 04:04 AM   #5
Sub MOA

SK,

Both the IMR and Hodgdon 4831 produce good results in 25s. I've started using the H4831SC because it's easier to work with (smaller grains). I've found best accuracy is usually right around max loads, though each rifle is different. As usual, start low and work up cautiously. Both Win and Rem brass works well though I use Rem because I have a bigger supply of it. For rifle primers, I always use CCI. Have been able to get good results using both standard 200s as well as magnum 250s.

I one thing I'll say about handloading the 25 and deer hunting is that it's easy to run the velocities up and damage meat if shot placement isn't perfect. Clip a shoulder with most .25 cal bullets at over 3,000 fps and you're going to lose a lot of meat. I think I can safely say I'm not the only person who has found this out the hard way. I'm a big fan of Noslers and the Partition is a good choice. At healthy velocities you can almost certainly count on the front section disintegrating inside the animal, but the rear section usually works it's way deep. You aren't going to get perfect mushrooms with the Partitions, but they sure get the job done. There are lots of other good bullets to choose from too. I know some people use 100gr for deer, but I personally would stick with 115-120gr.

Good luck, shoot safe, and have fun,
Sub
Old July 4, 2001, 12:06 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Sub MOA, has it right! I use the Nosler partition for deer and you still have to watch your shot placement. Worst thing ever happened to me was once just as I shot the deer jumped to run off and I shot in the hindquarters. Killed the deer instantly but severely damaged the near ham and totalled the off side ham. Lost a lot of good eating. That was with a Remington 120 grain factory load. I stumbled across a hellofa sale at $2.95 a box in a store going out of business, so I stocked up.
For reloading I use the Hornady A-Max for plinking and the 120 Nosler for serious work. Also like Sub MOA I use Remingotn brass and have no complaints. One thing about this rifle is to watch your pressures closely. They can jump drastically. Always work up slowly.
Old July 4, 2001, 01:20 PM   #7
Sisco

Thanks for all the input!
I've been using the Lee collet dies on .22 Hornet, haven't yet decided which dies to get for this one.
Stupid (?) question: can you neck size only with a full-length die by simply backing it out, or does one need a specific neck-size only die?
Old July 4, 2001, 06:01 PM   #8
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

All my dies are RCBS and yes you can neck size only. All that is needed is to back the die off the shellholder a bit. I smoke the case to see how far down I am sizing, and set it to where it barely misses the shoulder.
Old July 4, 2001, 08:16 PM   #9
Sub MOA

It's called "Partial resizing." Accuracy may or may not improve with this practice (only one way to find out), but case life should increase noticeably.

Sub