The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2015, 02:34 AM   #1
Loronzo

(Shot) Gun Games

Hey guys! Looking for some ideas here for some games with shotguns. Each September me and a group of friends spend a weekend camping on some land I own and have a bonafide shoutout.

Long story short we have around a 22 person cap. The days are split into free shooting and about an hr long part for those in the tournament. Each tournament set is a different type: pistol, .22, scoped bolt, etc but the points are cumulative. I set all the firing lines up starting about 75 feet back and work the different areas toward the backstop so no one is ever in front of another irregardless of which lane they are on. The backstop is a ravine that ultimately goes about 45 ft or so at a moderate incline with nothing behind it but open woods for miles. We get local LEO approval etc. and keep an RO for each 6 shooters active at all times when we're shooting so it's extremely controlled and safe.

Anyways with the tournament we are adding shotguns this year so I'm trying to come up with A) a static range idea for free shoot and b) something at least somewhat score able for the tourny part.

Shotguns will be pumps with barrels under 26 inches and using 00buck.
Limited or no trap or skeet because the range isn't really set up for a L-R sweep due to safety concerns I have if they go too far.

The only idea I've come up with for both is using milk jugs and "walking" them out. A bunch of no marked for the free shoots. Toss it and fire away and leave it till cold range and grab another and keep going if you want. And for the scored paint each person a different color and see who can walk the fartest with 5 rounds untimed and do a race to see who can go a set number of feet the fastest.

I'm leaning against using siloette targets because they get shredded way quicker then any of the other lanes except for maybe the comp part if there's a good way to score. Also if there is initial setup that's not a problem just minimum of having to reset targets to try and maximize "hot" time for the other shooters. We have plent of pallets, robar, steel wire, etc.

So send me some ideas please!
Safe, fun, and preferably economical
Old June 25, 2015, 11:03 AM   #2
g.willikers

How about setting up clay birds, in sets of five, at reasonable distances, and see who can clear them the fastest.
Pumps and auto in separate classes, but compare total scores just for bragging rights.
Especially if a pump guy wins overall.
The clay birds can be hung on nails on a cardboard backing, or spread out on a dirt berm, or even the ground (if it's safe to do so) to keep equipment to a minimum.
Old June 25, 2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Loronzo

Thanks G Wilikers! I hadn't even thought of that and we have several boxes of Clays to use already!
Old June 25, 2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Bake

My first targets for shotgun shooting were steel plates and pepper poppers. I have even shot bowling pins.

Depending on the range you could use a lot smaller shot, maybe #8's at 15 yards.
Old June 25, 2015, 03:43 PM   #5
FITASC

#8s will break targets a LOT further than 15 yards.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 25, 2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Bake

Right you are, #8 shot do damage & break things all the way to 35 yards at least, but I was thinking 15 yards as a minimum for safety, when shooting steel.
Old June 25, 2015, 09:16 PM   #7
FITASC

I have broken clays at a measured 55 yards with authority using 1oz at 1225
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 26, 2015, 03:22 AM   #8
Bake

A properly calibrated trap machine should throw a clay out to 50 yards.
A properly calibrated trap shooter should hit the clay at around 20 yards.
Shooting from the 16 yard line (Mod choke), plus the 20yards (36yards total) an oz. of #8's are a very good choice. Shooting from the 27 yard line (Full choke), plus the 20 yards (around 48 yards maybe more), I would start with 1 oz. of #7 1/2's
Old June 27, 2015, 10:41 PM   #9
Couzin

Go here for some clays game ideas http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com...story0712.html