The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 8, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Rikakiah

Should I dip/paint my AR?

I've been debating on this for a while. I like the "normal" black look of your standard AR, but also really like the personality (and possibly usefulness) of a camo'd rifle.

If I do it, I was mainly considering Kryptek's Highlander pattern, as that's likely what I'll be using for fall/winter. It might be a little too brown for our summers, but I hate the heat and humidity, so don't see myself out much in July anyway.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2
allaroundhunter

Should I dip/paint my AR?

It's your gun, no reason to ask us our opinions on a personal touch. You will get 50 people giving you 50 variations of yes or no. If you like it, do it
Old September 8, 2013, 11:11 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Duracoat....

I've seen several cool camo patterns & styles with Duracoat.
GOE markets a slick reverse urban black ops camo.
I like the Russian camo pattern for a woodland area.
I lean more towards the WWII olive green, stone, SOCOM blue, and federal brown.
The German red(which I call Red Baron red ) & Harley Davidson orange are cool too.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Rikakiah

Re: Should I dip/paint my AR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter View Post
It's your gun, no reason to ask us our opinions on a personal touch. You will get 50 people giving you 50 variations of yes or no. If you like it, do it
I know, but I really don't mind that. I like hearing other's viewpoints. I honestly could go either way, so seeing/hearing what others have done or why they haven't just gives me more depth to my thoughts.

My biggest concern is once it's done, it's done. Of course, until then, I'll always have the "what would it look like if..."
Old September 8, 2013, 02:24 PM   #5
P5 Guy

http://www.hydroprintservices.com/

I don't know where you are located, but this company does fine work for us in the GunShine State of Florida.

Old September 8, 2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Rikakiah

I'm in the St. Louis area. There's Midwest Hydro Designs in driving distance. I would really prefer not to ship, so hopefully they do good work. They don't have a gallery up, so not real sure.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Yung.gunr

I'm not too much a fan of painting or hydro dipping. If you really wanted camo I'd go with one of those tape type materials that you can take off. IMO painting a gun decreases its value substantially, at least to everyone else if you ever decided to sell/trade it.
At least I know I would probably never buy a gun that was painted.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Sierra280

There's a place in carson city that does the hydro dipping, I always thought it was a pretty neat idea (to be able to get whatever design you want on basically any smooth surface). But for a gun, I don't see anything wrong with burlap and some rattle cans.
Old September 11, 2013, 12:47 AM   #9
Rikakiah

Re: Should I dip/paint my AR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra280 View Post
There's a place in carson city that does the hydro dipping, I always thought it was a pretty neat idea (to be able to get whatever design you want on basically any smooth surface). But for a gun, I don't see anything wrong with burlap and some rattle cans.
Yeah, and I've seen some great paint jobs, just afraid I'll screw something up (lousy paintjob at best, hamper functioning at worst). I might be more inclined if I lived in a desert region since I like the 2-tone tan/browns I've seen with netting. The only patterns I've seen with green I like are more involved.

Either way, it's pretty inexpensive to get it done professionally, and it'll be duracoated or whatever, too.
Old September 13, 2013, 06:38 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

Another point...

If you DIY & it goes sideways, you are out a lot of $$$.
If you go to a trained/certified shop, you might be able to get a lifetime warranty or service plan, .

Clyde