The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 10, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Another shooting: Taft, California.

Another shooting seems to have occurred on a Californian school's grounds.

On this occassion the shooter has been arrested. 2 victims, one serious, one less so. Fortunately it was not more serious. Hoping both recover fully.

Here is a link
Old January 10, 2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Dre_sa

I see stories online, but it seems TV news hasn't caught up just yet
Old January 10, 2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Xaak

Did they have armed security that stopped this? And what is up with the GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE? How come that is not working? Its another flawless law our government enacted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLr-oZWPXVc
Gun Free School Zone Comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dg_AcBeHgo
A Fox News Satire about Gun Free Zones
Old January 10, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Xaak

Notice the Hype in the required Correction

A shooting has been reported at Taft Union High School in Taft, California, KERO reports.

The shooting suspect is in custody, according to ABC 7.

The suspect is believed to be a student, Kern County sheriff's spokesman Ray Pruitt told the Associated Press, and police believe the weapon used was a shotgun.
Two people have been reported shot, according to the station. The first victim suffered minor injuries and refused treatment, according to KGET. The second, a student, was airlifted to Kern Medical Center. Details on the second victim's injuries have not yet been reported.

The incident occurred at about 9 a.m., according to KABC, and took place in the science building, according to the TaftMidwayDriller.com, a local paper's website.

At around 9:20, the suspect was taken into custody and students were evacuated to the football field. Parents were notified and asked to pick up their children.

Taft is a community of about 7,000 located 30 miles southwest of Bakersfield, in San Joaquin Valley.

This is a developing story, check back for further updates.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article stated that 2 people were reported dead. Two people were reported injured.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Xaak

Taft Shooting

BTW, California has some of the most strict gun restrictions and laws on the books, and an AR AK or sporting rifle was not used. Not even a hand gun with a high cap magazine.

Still, my personal prayers go out to those injured and hope for the best in their recovery. To the shooter, let's stop being soft. Trail, verdict, execute. Preferably by firing squad.

Stricter punishments and less lolly gagging around with criminals hanging out forever in prison on the dime would save money and remind those on the fringe about using a firearm inappropriately.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Dre_sa

Coverage of this event is ridiculous.

not even 5 minutes was spent on the story. Details could neither be confirmed nor denied.

I had a mistrust of the news media before, now I have lost all trust entirely.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Xaak

Huffington Post report

Not much more than this at this time, but this is what is being reported

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...?utm_hp_ref=tw
Old January 10, 2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Dr Big Bird PhD

I am glad to know that no one was killed. I hope that doesn't change with the person who was airlifted.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 10, 2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Bigdog57

"...and police believe the weapon used was a shotgun."

Look for the MSM, when the do report this, to upgrade the weapon to 'an assault weapon' or even an 'assault rifle', to correlate with their current agenda.
Old January 10, 2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Ronbert

MSM declining to cover the story is minor.

During the 1st AWB runup CNN ran video showing a police officer demonstrating full auto fire while their "news" voiceover was describing how the proposed AWB would prohibit these kinds of weapons.

That piece ran for 3 full days. It was never corrected. It accomplished its purpose.

Mistrust of the media is too mild.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The lamestream media aren't interested because nobody died.

Remember: "If it bleeds, it leads."

"Body count sells newspapers." (This one was told to me by the investigative editor at the local birdcage liner factory many years ago.)
Old January 10, 2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Dre_sa

Hey, since all these school shootings involve schools, why not put a ban on those? don't send kids to the places that mass murderers like to attack.

When are effective solutions going to be put in place? how much are we willing to risk before something that works is done? why don't we demand better security or an armed law enforcement officer at every school?
Old January 10, 2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Hey, since all these school shootings involve schools, why not put a ban on those? don't send kids to the places that mass murderers like to attack.

When are effective solutions going to be put in place? how much are we willing to risk before something that works is done? why don't we demand better security or an armed law enforcement officer at every school?
School shootings involve schools? LOL.

As for effective solutions, nobody is willing to choke up the money for the changes that are needed. We are the same people that argue down property taxes so that we pay less tax that supports the local schools. Nobody ever seems to go in and offer to pay more than their "fair" share of taxes.

Interestingly, this may be another bully episode and the shooter was after particular people. Most of the people injured, however, were not intended victims. A teacher was hit by a single pellet, one girl suffered hearing damage, one girl was injured in the attempt to flee, and then one student was hit directly and is in critical condition. Apparently a second student was fired at and missed by the shooter.

Note...
Quote:
An armed police officer is assigned to the school but he wasn’t at the school at the time of the shooting because snowfall in the area prevented his arrival, authorities said.
I am looking at the pic from the article and don't see snow. Hmmm.

http://wtvr.com/2013/01/10/tardy-stu...er-in-custody/

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; January 10, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

its 60 degrees outside where i am in cali
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 10, 2013, 08:33 PM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Not much about guns qua guns, and TFL is not the Daily Birdcage Liner.
Closed Thread