The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 3, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1
jallenbet

Springfield 1898

Hi guys I am brand new to this forum. I joined because I just purchsed a Springfield 1898 30-40 Krag. I don't really know anything about it. There is an S stamped on the barrel about half way down. Where else should I try to find another stamp like this? I'm also missing alot of parts like the front and back sights, the butt of the stock, and the knob on the bottom of the stock. I don't think this is the original stock? I haven't seen it in any of the pics during my research. The barrel is about 22 1/2" long from end to end including the threads. I know the little slot toward the end is for the front sight, but a few inches back there is a small hole drilled off center. It's not tapped and is not that deep. Any ideas on what it might have been for? Any info would be much appreciated! I would love to complete this gun. Is there any place local I might find parts and is this gun actually worth anything? Thanks guys!
Old April 3, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
viciouskitty

I would look up numrich gun parts on the web. Krag parts are not that common but if you keep looking up places like gun broker and ebay you may find what you need. It may not be cheap though, I myself love recusing old rifles that have been abused by their owners. I restored a lee enfield back to military trim after it had been painted and hacked to death. It even had a glued on scope mount, now it looks pretty again goodluck in your pursuit there.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3
jallenbet

Repost - Springfield 1898

Photos added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1362.JPG (93.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1363.JPG (71.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1365.JPG (109.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Mike Irwin; April 5, 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Merged threads.
Old April 3, 2012, 07:32 PM   #4
30-30remchester

I have been fond of these classic guns and have had a number of the over the years and have done some research as well. Well first off you have an 1898 Springfield rifle known as a US Krag. Your purchase is a rifle that has started to be sporterised. The stock is not original. The sights are missing as well as you know. The hole drilled off center in the barrel is a puzzle to me, about the only thing I know about it, is it is not factory original. About the only thing to do is finish the stock and put sights back on it, then enjoy the shooting. Sights are available regularly on EBAY.
Old April 4, 2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Scharfschuetzer

Jallenbet,

That looks like it will be quite the project. To be honest, in the end, it may cost more than what it's worth. I'm sure it would be fun to restore to shooting condition though.

Krags used a single heat treatment process and as a result, cracks in the single locking lug on the bolt have been reported in several publications over the years. On the other hand, they have a glass smoth action and the calibre is certainly an effective deer load within reasonable ranges. In the event of a bolt sheering off, the base of the bolt handle provides a large safety lug.

I have no idea if your rifle was cut down from the infantry rifle or is from a carbine. Either way, I'm pretty sure that the front sight was brazed on with the original barrels. I'm not sure about the rear sight as the previous US rifle, the Trapdoor had it's rear sight screwed on with two headless screws. I can't check mine right now as I'm traveling, but that's what my memory is telling me. If that is in fact so, then the drilling and tapping at the front was done by whoever had the weapon before. The odd hole you mention was not on any US military rifle that I know of.

I have a Krag and keeping in mind paragraph two, I just shoot cast bullets out of it. With good bores, they are great fun and shoot quite well.

P.S. Have you figured out how to remove the bolt yet?
NRA Police Distinguished Expert

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; April 5, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old April 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #6
jallenbet

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated! I did get the bolt apart.
Old April 5, 2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Welcome to TFL.

Please do NOT post the same message to multiple forums. It dilutes the discussion.

I've merged your two threads together, but in the future, if you'd like a thread moved, please contact one of the staff members for the forum that either it is then in, or the forum where you would like it to go.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.