The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 14, 2009, 07:32 AM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Sign of the times...
More like 'perceived sign of the times' as group and more distant violence has been going on for a long time in this country. For example, at at the Klan violence of the 40s-60s, gang violence of the 20s and 30s, etc.

Quote:
Do you feel this is something a person at a greater distance should even try?
If you mean 25-50 yards, sure, it is something they should try if they actually know how to shoot that far. So many don't or can't, however. Heck, I have seen several CHL people shoot the floor on CHL tests (and still pass) where the targets were at 3 yards where targets were at 7 yards.

Quote:
Should they just seek cover until threated personally?
Depends on their personal circumstance.

Quote:
Should they get involved and if so do you feel it creates a need to carry the most accurate gun you can carry? Does it mean you need a more powerful gun?
My thoughts have always been that one should carry the most powerful gun that is reliable, readily concealable, and that the carrier can shoot extremely well.

Quote:
Does it change how you train?
Not really. I train about 90% inside of 10 yards and 10% beyond 10 yards. Somewhere between 80-100 yards, however, my point targets tend to become area targets however.

Quote:
You should always carry the most accurate gun you can. This goes to the heart of my argument against "good enough" mouse guns.
Many mouse guns are plenty accurate, but are difficult to shoot well due to ergonomics.

Quote:
my luck i would pull my gun to help in a crazy shooter in the mall scenario and the police would shoot me 10 or 15 times when they got there.
McKown feared this at the incident at the Seattle Mall and instead got himself shot several times by the bad guy, crippling McKown. Actually, he feared breaking the law by brandishing and then feared being shot by cops, so he just stood up at a big ole' target and used his words to stop the gunman who promptly blasted him. This was in spite of the fact that McKown stated that he carried for the very {Superman} purpose of protecting others.
Old November 14, 2009, 09:01 AM   #27
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, a couple of thoughts I have had in relation to mass shooting/mall shooting type incidents:

1. I don't know how many of you follow-up on these types of incidents; but in several examples teams of multiple shooters planned on killing people as they EXITED the scene of the atrocity. Off the top of my head:

1. The recent terror related plot foiled when they could not get automatic weapons - they planned for two teams of shooters - one inside the mall and one covering the exits/waiting for first responders.

2. Columbine, as planned by the shooters, was going to rely on explosive devices and then the shooters would engage from outside the school at those who fled.

3. Jonesboro - shooters waited for people to exit the school and started shooting.

The number one point I take away from all of this is that you need to put some thought into your exit strategy and make sure you are jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

On long distance shots with a pistol, holding at shoulder level with a 9mm will drop them about sternum level at 100yds.
Old November 15, 2009, 08:22 AM   #28
Ian0351

I consider this situation more likely than a contact range mugging...

So I plan accordingly when out and about in densely populated areas. Especially considering that terrorists and lunatics are leaning more and more towards soft targets with their assaults & bombings, I think it is crucial to be prepared when in such target rich environments to avoid being taken off guard. Distance shooting is a very valuable skill, I also find that it has helped with my closer shooting as mechanics are so much more important at greater ranges due to error multiplication; by refining mechanins attempting shots at 50-100 yards my 5-10 yard shooting has improved dramatically. I am not yet a family man, but I feel that the best route for people with families is to bunker down and cover avenues of approach. As for myself and my code of ethics, standing by and watching innocents be slaughtered is not an option if I have the means and opportunity to do something about it.

Semper Fidelis