The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 7, 2009, 03:13 PM   #26
specoperator

So let me get this straight... aside from all the bickering going on
1) I need to get a place
1a) That place may be my house (I own it)
2) I need to submit the FFL paperwork and then I'll get inspected
3) I need to make sure I let my local area leaders know I'm opening a gun shop
4) I need to make sure I square away my business taxes

If I missed anything essential let me know. Luckily I've got about 8 months before I get started so I can plan well.

Now what's the deal with the LLC? It's not required right?
Old July 7, 2009, 04:12 PM   #27
comn-cents

dont forget insurance.
local bussn. lic.
tax number
you can only do it out of your house if it is zoned for it.
one of the"?" is if you are going to sell to the public. I hear that if you say no they will not issue a lics.
good luck

no u don't have to creat a LLC.
Old July 7, 2009, 05:55 PM   #28
freakshow10mm

Quote:
one of the"?" is if you are going to sell to the public. I hear that if you say no they will not issue a lics.
No that is false.

If you are going to sell to other dealers, governments, or to nonlicensees you will need an FFL.

I recommend a corporation or LLC setup and have the FFL in the corporate name. This will isolate your personal assets from your business assets. Speak with an attorney versed in business law as well as an accountant before you decide on a corporate structure and potential tax advantages or windfalls of each type of structure.
Old July 7, 2009, 06:24 PM   #29
dk148

Quote:
dont forget insurance.
local bussn. lic.
tax number
you can only do it out of your house if it is zoned for it.
good luck

no u don't have to creat a LLC.
There is no requirement for insurance.

You may not be able to get your local business license until you actually have FFL in hand (this was actually what happend with my county). The ATF gives you 30 days to get all local licenses after your FFL is issued. But get the ball rolling before it shows up, in case there are any unforseen problems that could cause a delay.

Even if your house can not be used for retail sales, you may be able to do internet/mail order from your house. This is ok with the ATF, and it will give you, your FFL until you can move to your retail location.

The question is not are your going to sell to the public, the actual question is "are you going to be selling firearms to make a profit?". If you are not a business trying to make a profit you will not get an FFL. They want to avoid collectors get licenses to increase their personal collection. But there is also no requirment on how much of a profit or how many sales you need to make in 3 years (license length). So essentially your answer is "Yes I am starting this business to make a profit".