The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 10, 2006, 03:31 PM   #1
SanQ

CZ 452 VS Marlin 39A Accuracy

which one is more accurate?

ADD: Savage MKII?

Last edited by SanQ; October 10, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old October 10, 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Wildalaska

The 39A will smoke a CZ 452 day in and day out

WildfrompersonalexperienceAlaska
Old October 10, 2006, 04:33 PM   #3
BUSTER51

The Marlin 39a is in a class by itself.A little pricey but worth every penny.it is far better than the CZ in every way .
Old October 10, 2006, 05:59 PM   #4
bobhwry

Generalizations without empirical evidence is worth what you pay for it!! I own both and the CZ puts the Marlin to shame in both function and fit!!!
Old October 10, 2006, 06:13 PM   #5
SanQ

I only care about the accuracy, so like which one gives you better groups on paper?

thx
Old October 10, 2006, 06:14 PM   #6
Wildalaska

The Marlin

WildguaranteedAlaska
Old October 10, 2006, 07:28 PM   #7
BUSTER51

My dad has a 39a that is 30 years old and It is still a tack driver. that rifle has killed more small game than you can imagine .don't know about new ones but the old ones are sweet.
Old October 10, 2006, 07:53 PM   #8
bobhwry

If your looking for accuracy, the CZ will do the job consistently at a reasonable price!
Old October 10, 2006, 10:18 PM   #9
Adventurer 2

CZ 452 American with 4X scope at 25 yards, last Saturday, very windy. The top right circle is five shots. The middle and bottom circle are 3 shots each. All three circles were shot off the bag. The squirrels were shot unsupported.
My CZ outshoots my Browning BLR and Ruger 10/22. I think it is about equal to my Browning A-bolt in the accuracy department. I would have to get a higher power rimfire scope to find out which one was better. Sorry, I have not owned, nor shot the Marlin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZ 25 Yards.jpg (59.1 KB, 3488 views)
Old October 10, 2006, 10:42 PM   #10
skeeter1

I've owned a Marlin 39D (long since discontinued carbine version of the 39A) since 1970, and I've used it to take down a crow at 100yds.

As for the CZ, I personaly thing they're junk and would never own one. If you decide to go that route, you're on your own.

Fine firearms cost some fine money, but in the long run, they're worth it.
Old October 10, 2006, 10:45 PM   #11
SanQ

seems like more people would go for 39A, but that picture looks impressive! nice shots!

any 39A owner have something like that?
Old October 10, 2006, 11:06 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

Accuracy, especially in .22LR's is very variable.
You could get a really great CZ and a rare factory defective Marlin, and the CZ would out-shoot the Marlin.

Another variable is ammo.
22's are "picky" about their ammo, and a brand that shoots fantastic groups in one rifle will group poorly in another rifle of the same make and age.

What many .22 shooters looking for the best accuracy do, is buy a box of every brand and type of ammo they can find, and shoot it for groups.
When you find one that THAT specific rifle "likes", buy a bunch of it.

The Marlin has a LONG reputation for astounding accuracy, and the heavy Marlin "Micro-Groove" barrel is famous for turning in near-target rifle groups.

An added plus is, the 39 is still made the same way it was 100 years ago: Of solid forged and milled steel, and American Walnut.

The CZ is a nice rifle.
The Marlin 39 is an American Legend.
Old October 10, 2006, 11:12 PM   #13
Adventurer 2

I just want to add - I haven't done anything to improve accuracy on the CZ. The trigger is adjustable (I left mine at the factory setting). There are trigger kits for the CZ (Brooks, Timney) which will give a lower trigger pull. I guess a lot of people also bed the actions on their CZs which can improve accuracy. All I ever did was check that the barrel was free floated (it was).
Something I did not like with the CZ is that I had to buy a 20 cal cleaning rod because the bore is tight and some part of the magazine well makes contact with a 22 cal cleaning rod. On the plus side the tighter bore enhances accuracy.
Old October 11, 2006, 12:13 AM   #14
629 shooter

I have both and MY CZ will handily outshoot MY 39. Go over to rimfirecentral.com and check out the CZ forums. CZs have gained a large following in the past few years. Here is mine with a 10 shot group @ 50 yards. With a good trigger things would be tighter - lot of creep but not too difficult to get an outstanding trigger with Brooks kit.

My 39 had an incredibly heavy, gritty 7.5lb trigger pull out of the box. Pretty much worthless for any kind of precision. I worked on it and it turned out to be the best trigger of any of my rimfire rifles. Still , does not shoot anywhere near as well as my $189 CZ Special with the creepy trigger.

If I were offered a million bucks to shoot 5 shots under an inch @ 100 yards with a 22lr I sure as hec would not be picking MY 39 over MY CZ!
Old October 11, 2006, 08:44 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

Quote:
As for the CZ, I personaly thing they're junk
Wow, that's a new one on me.

Hmm, sure would like to have one of those 39Ds - that's mainly why I sold my 39A - I like shorter handier .22s. Are the 39Ds still out there? Dang, shoulda done a side by side comparison before I sold the 39A. Still, CZs are far from junk, unless thousands upon tens of thousands of owners are all wrong, and skeeter is right.
Old October 11, 2006, 11:31 AM   #16
NateG

If you want accuracy, go for the CZ. It's a great rifle. I've got the "trainer" version, which is a couple hundred less than the Lux, et al. The difference is that the trainer has a beechwood (I think) stock instead of walnut. Did I mention it's a great rifle?

Quote:
Quote:
As for the CZ, I personaly thing they're junk
Wow, that's a new one on me.
Me too. A while back on one of these forum-thingies, I started a thread "I hate my CZ452" as a joke because I'd never heard anyone say anything bad about the rifle and wanted to see if anyone had anything bad to say about it. No one really did, but instead several folks offered to buy mine from me.

I love the 39. I don't own one, but I really want one. However, I'd be shocked if your average out-of-the-box 39 will come close to your average out-of-the-box 452 in terms of accuracy. That being said, if you're going to be walking around in the woods looking for squirrel, I'd go with the 39. If you're going to be shooting off a bench, trying your hand at smallbore competition (I didn't place last when I shot my 452 against anshutz, etc., that cost almost an order of magnitude more than my 452!), or the like, you'll probably want the CZ.

However, you'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with either. So, to answer your question, the CZ is very likely to be more accurate.
Old October 11, 2006, 12:31 PM   #17
Wildalaska

OK.

The CZ isnt junk. They are nice, accurate rifles. They are light and handy. However, having shot 6 or so CZs and seen targets from others leads me to the conclusive conclusion that the Marlin will outshoot them.

On the other hand, the CZ is half the price.

We sell both, they are great 22s and I am going to get a CZ someday

Quote:
If I were offered a million bucks to shoot 5 shots under an inch @ 100 yards with a 22lr I sure as hec would not be picking MY 39 over MY CZ!
Seriously? You got the million? I got the 39

Wild22Alaska
Old October 11, 2006, 04:13 PM   #18
ba_50

I got a CZ452 Americanin LH this summer. It has shot groups as small as 3/8" at 50 yards with Wolf MTto a little over 1/2". Some ammo goes around 1/2" while others go 3/4 to 1".

Had a Marlin 39M about 40 years ago and doubt it would hold a candle to this one. Mines has Brooks trigger in it. Figure on spending some money to a get a 39 trigger as good.
Old October 11, 2006, 05:07 PM   #19
Varmint Eviscerator

saying these "blanket statements" depicts ignorance! Just go to RFC, (www.rimfirecentral.com) Cz in 22lr will make a 39 get on it knees and beg-I have a cz lux, its been free floated, and it shoots.... VERY WELL
This is 10 shots using cheapish ammo on a calm day, two separate groups!

I will take all of you in an internet RF duel between my Cz and your confounded marlins-I had a marlin after my 10/22-sold it because of bolt problems and poor accuracy!
-Chase
Ahh, a good old bolt action,a bolt is a remedy for time, afternoons with our fathers and their fathers, for the mighty olympic shooters, for the wanna be's,for the time of youth in the woods, for the young.......the old, it is timeless, classic, sleek-a piece of art forever to remain in our memories, our hearts, our future.
Old October 11, 2006, 05:09 PM   #20
Wildalaska

Postal match!

WildletssetemupAlaska
Old October 11, 2006, 06:59 PM   #21
Varmint Eviscerator

You're on iceman!!! -what distance,what magnification, what price limit(ammo)?
-Chase
There is no way we will know who is cheatin', how to do this honestly?
Ahh, a good old bolt action,a bolt is a remedy for time, afternoons with our fathers and their fathers, for the mighty olympic shooters, for the wanna be's,for the time of youth in the woods, for the young.......the old, it is timeless, classic, sleek-a piece of art forever to remain in our memories, our hearts, our future.
Old October 11, 2006, 07:06 PM   #22
Wildalaska

Distance?

How about 50 and 100 yards, 10 shots, any ammo, open sights?

Cheating? Well Ill get Spiff as my witness if he can stay sober on a Saturday night.....

In fact, we maybe need to do the great TFL 22 rifle shootoff so all can participate

WildwhowantstoorganizeanddorulesandsuchlikeAlaska
Old October 11, 2006, 07:14 PM   #23
clayking

If any of you 39A lovers want one, I've got a 2002 model for sale with a Williams sight, Like most of them, very accurate, but I just don't shoot it very much as I'm mostly a pistol guy..................ck
Old October 11, 2006, 08:24 PM   #24
sindiesel666

I've got a CZ 452, a newly acquired Brno Mod 1 ( CZ 452's grampa), an older Marlin 80, 81DL and a model 781. 80 and 781 have the Micro-Groove barrel, 81DL is an older model, pre Micro-Groove. I just ended up shooting this past Sunday (the day I got the Brno) about 400 or so rounds out of my 5 rimfires. I took my 10/22, CZ 452, Brno mod 1, Glenfield 60 and Marlin 80. The other 5 stayed home.

Brno turned in by far the best performance, 10/22 and 452 tied for second, Marlin 80 was 4th and Glenfield 60 had the worst accuracy compared to others.
Here's a 5 shot group, first group shot with Wolf MT. It turned out groups like this with Remington Subsonics as well, just not as regularly. Mind you, this was my first time shooting this rifle, 9 power scope on it. 50 yards. Inner bullseye is 1/2 inch across.

Marlin 80 came close on a few ocassions, but is severly hampered by a 100 lb trigger (sure seems like it is that bad), and a weird trigger geometry/feel. I'm gonna have to grind it down some and smooth it out.

I'm sure both the 39 and 452 are great rifles, different philosphies applied nevertheless. You can't go wrong with either one. But my nod is towards the CZ of course.

And for the people who talk smack about the CZ quality and accuracy....please, post here once you're sober and off of drugs!!!!!!
Old October 11, 2006, 08:35 PM   #25
Varmint Eviscerator

Scoped-damaged retina by stupid magnesium experiment-it really really really does burn brightly
50yrds,25yrds-my preferance is 25yrds,I can see better.
Give some time while I buy new rings
-Chase