The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 2, 2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Rockrivr1

School me on Webley Revolvers

At the last gun show I attended I picked up a Webley revolver just to check it out and of course now I want one. So before I start the hunt I'm looking for some information on them. What's your thoughts on the model, what should I look for (both good and bad) when looking at one. I already know I don't want a cut one for modern calibers so finding one unmolested would be a plus. I think anyway. Next decision would be whether the Mark IV or Mark VI would be a better option. I like the idea of the .455 Webley over 38 S&W, but could go either way. Saw a couple of snub nosed Webleys but think a 6" model would be better.

So anything else I should be thinking of or experiences you think would be good to know? If you have one, what caliber do you have and why you prefer that one over the other?

Thanks.
Old November 2, 2016, 06:31 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

ALL the early large bore Webleys (Marks I -IV) are BLACKPOWDER ONLY guns. The Mark Vs were nitro proofed.

Despite being large guns, Webley's are not terribly strong. They were made to launch a 260gr slug in the 600fps range.

The problem with "cut" or "shaved" guns, those that have been converted to take .45ACP shells is the mistaken common belief that they were converted to take .45ACP ammo. This is NOT the case!

When the supply of .455 Webley ammo finally dried up in the early 60s, the converted guns were still shootable using .45ACP BRASS, and Webley level loads. NOT .45ACP ammo!!!

GI ball .45ACP ammo is a proof load pressure for a Webley Mk VI!! DO NOT SHOOT IT!

Handload ACP brass with a lighter load for use in the Webley.

The WWII era .38 caliber Webleys are also called MK IV, but they are a different gun than the .45 caliber Mark IV. The .38s were all smokeless proof, and they shoot the British .38/200 round, which is identical to the US .38 S&W round (NOT the .38 Special)
Old November 3, 2016, 02:32 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

.455 Webley ammo will probably be an issue. Isn't loaded commercially and isn't readily available. You might find some Fiocchi Mk II around though. Buffalo Arms is accepting back orders at $63 per 50 too. Worse that there's more than one flavour too.
"Snub nosed" Webleys are usually B Series in .32 S&W. Sometimes in .38 S&W.
There are post W.W. II Webley Mk IV's in .38 S&W too. No BP for them. No BP after 1897. Cordite was used after then.
"...NOT .45ACP ammo..." Not a .45 ACP bullet either. Uses a .454" bullet.
Old November 3, 2016, 03:06 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Buy some Fiocchi ammo and keep the brass for reloading, then buy some dies and find a buddy with a press.

The. 455 is just about recoil-free, and the Mk VI is an iconic revolver, enjoyable to own and shoot.

Avoid any with cylinders cut down for 45acp, a replacement will run over $200.
Old November 3, 2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Rockrivr1

Thanks everyone for the information. I've come across someone local selling 455 Webley for less then rape costs. Will have 300 rnds so I'm going to narrow my search down to VI models. No rush as finding one good for me is half the fun. But, if I found one tomorrow then a one day search is just fine with me.
Old November 3, 2016, 05:40 PM   #6
RickB

Hmmm, if the gun is going to be shot much, getting one with shaved cylinder, allowing use of cheap, plentiful .45 auto brass makes a bit of sense.
I have a S&W .455 that has an ACP cylinder, and it shoots pretty well with .454" cast lead bullets over light charges of Bullseye.
I have a Mk. I, and some incompatible Canadian ammo of WWII vintage, and have thought about trimming .45 Colt brass, soft lead slugs, etc., but haven't pursued it.
I also have most of an even earlier First Pattern RIC, and strangely enough, a .45 GAP round chambers perfectly (and would no doubt perfectly destroy the gun if fired, but the brass might be compatible).
Old November 3, 2016, 05:46 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

A few years ago, Hornady sold some .455 Webley ammo. At the tme, it was $20 for a box of 20.

.454" bore isn't an insurmountable obstacle. Plenty of .45 slugs will work well enough, lead preferred, I get acceptably accuracy with lead .45 bullets, softer ones, that upset just a little. No need for hardcast slugs, a softer alloy actually works quite well.

I've got a 1917 Mk VI. Neat gun. Fun to shoot, Alan Quatermain and and lost City of Gold stuff. Very cool.

DA pull takes the proverbial 3 men and a boy to pull. SA is decent, with a little creep. It's a SERVICE revolver, after all... from another century...
Old November 4, 2016, 08:23 AM   #8
lewwallace

Webley Mk VI

There are a couple of nice, uncut 1918 Mk VIs right now at GB. Good looking and, at what rite now, is a fair market price! I follow the Webley threads pretty closely, have 70 in my 35+ yr collection!! Good luck it can be a addictive pursuit!