The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 25, 2016, 11:44 AM   #26
mapsjanhere

Mike, the newly manufactured ones use the late style rear sight.
Old July 25, 2016, 12:01 PM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Mike, the newly manufactured ones use the late style rear sight."

Hum... missed the fact that this one has the early flip sight.

More and more interesting...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 25, 2016, 12:49 PM   #28
Quentin2

Wow! Beautiful, just beautiful! Thanks for sharing all the detailed pictures of your new find, Sledge.
Old July 25, 2016, 03:58 PM   #29
Sledge

Another pic of the barrel stamp.

Here you go Mike. The pic shows the area a bit better. I'll be happy to take more if I missed something else. Still learning about it. Very deep history for such a short period of time.

I'm still in shock that every time I look for some mark I find it. Each one is a rush. Then I calm down thinking: "it can't be". Boom, next thing I check is legit. Another rush. First night I nearly couldn't sleep. I can't keep my hands off it and I think my wife is getting jealous.

I really appreciate all the assistance I have gotten here and on other forums. The community as a whole has been a great source of info.

Probably my biggest unanswered question is: Since I have a replacement stock on the way, should I shoot it or store it? I am itching to take it to the range. What do you guys think about that? It would be a shame if I can't experience firing it.
Old July 25, 2016, 07:55 PM   #30
kilimanjaro

A genuine Paratrooper carbine is iconic and valuable. It's been fired before now, guaranteed, even if only a single magazine. Have it checked out by a pro gunsmith to see if any parts might not take a few rounds, then decide.

I don't think running 50 or 100 rounds through it will hurt it's value one bit. No more, though.

I'd put the replacement stock on it before firing it, and put the original back on before storing it away for a little more appreciation in value. The cost of the new stock is nothing compared to the loss of the original.

Do check your insurance coverage and security.
Old July 25, 2016, 08:15 PM   #31
kilimanjaro

Whatever you decide, do NOT fire it at a padded cotton Chicom uniform, this will make any M1 carbine worthless in the eyes of some 'experts'.
Old July 25, 2016, 08:57 PM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm changing my opinion. It looks to be the real deal.

There's one on Gunbroker right now for nearly $3,000.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 25, 2016, 09:21 PM   #33
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would fire the gun all you want with the new stock, but keep the old one to put back on if you ever sell it. That way you won't take a chance of the "original" stock splitting more.

BTW, ALL U.S. made .30 Carbine ammo is non-corrosive and always was. That may not be true of foreign-made ammo, especially Chinese and French. It is not a matter of cleaning the bore as with other corrosive ammo, but of keeping corrosive salts out of the gas cylinder. The gas cylinder can be cleaned, but cleaning should not be needed if only non-corrosive ammo is used. (That does not apply to the M1 rifle; that ammo was corrosive through at least 1950 and some beyond that.)

Jim
Old July 25, 2016, 10:58 PM   #34
Sledge

btw all the ammo they included in the mags and clips is marked LC4. I read somewhere that is USGI issue 1944 made by Lake City. That would jive with what the family told me about it not being shot since they first acquired it. I guess the brother bought the rounds when he got it and may have shot a few of them since a couple mags are empty and one had some missing. Ok to shoot that old ammo or should I use the new Aquila I bought from Inland?

Not sure I like InlandDepot customer service since I got the ammo already but the stock set hasn't been shipped after 6 days. Ordered both on the 20th, rounds were shipped next day. Email to see what is up not answered yet and call not returned today. I'll give them another shot tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Hey Kilimanjaro: About insurance. What the one mentioned above sells for at auction end (5 days) should give me a good idea of what to insure it for. Do you have a suggestion?

Last edited by Sledge; July 25, 2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old July 27, 2016, 12:26 AM   #35
kilimanjaro

$3,000 is a minimum, especially with all the additional magazines and other period accoutrements. The new stock will also add value.

I've seen these offered for sale for $6,000, which included the cloth bag and a sling, not much else. I have seen one actually sell for $5,500 at a show.

Your insurance valuation should be the replacement cost of every item. The insurance value is not necessarily a selling price, but a replacement cost for an identical carbine in identical condition, so you need to look at more than one sale.

You'll have to go to a special gun policy, your homeowner's policy will not cover this. Look at Collectinsure and ArmsCare. Might want to think about a liability policy as well if you carry concealed, as an aside, just thinking about insurance.

Your NRA coverage may be adequate, look that up, too.