The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 10, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
hogtiming

a silence question

I was wondering if their was any way I can silence a .270 or a .243? I am wanting a high powered rifle silenced. If you have any information please fill me in. I am looking for a homemade one or anything thank you.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:21 PM   #2
kkb

Check out the NFA section of this board about the hoops to jump through to get a silencer/suppressor/muffler/moderator or whatever the heck they're called.

If this is for hunting double check your regulations. Some locals don't allow a suppressed gun for hunting.

Last edited by kkb; January 10, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:56 PM   #3
5whiskey

Yeah, supressing a hi power centerfire rifle is an excercise in futility. What it's best for is to make range time a tad easier on the ears, not many other practical applications IMHO. A .22lr on the other hand...
Old January 11, 2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Crosshair

Quote:
Yeah, supressing a hi power centerfire rifle is an excercise in futility. What it's best for is to make range time a tad easier on the ears, not many other practical applications IMHO. A .22lr on the other hand...
Do you even own any suppressors? Have you ever shot guns with suppressors?

Please quit repeating this myth.

Suppressing a high power centerfire rifle is most certainly worth it. You cut down the muzzle blast to a level that is most often hearing safe. (Under 140 db) All you are left with is the sonic crack and that isn't that loud.
Old January 11, 2010, 09:00 AM   #5
1911rocks

Reason for Suppression

First it's suppression, not silencing. The reason we suppress High Power weapons in the military is detection. I urge anyone, who gets a chance, to "work the butts" with someone firing a suppressed weapon. The supersonic crack is right over your head and you have no idea where the report came from. Even if you are down range and perpendicular to the bullet path you will be hard pressed to find the source of the report. Yes, even a 338 Lapua. I keep a can (suppressor) on my m4 all the time, besides I like the balance better. I have a can on my Cheytac M-200 Intervention in 338 Lapua. The people on the range around me prefer it. Yes, you still have noise reduction, but, it's certainly not Hollywood, but close to the 338 Lapua you'll want a set of attenuators!! OH, a can also changes gas dynamics on short barreled gas operated weapons.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:06 PM   #6
WoofersInc

Quote:
I was wondering if their was any way I can silence a .270 or a .243?
That size might be difficult to find without it being a custom job. Some manufacturers will build for odd sized calibers on occasion. You can do what some people do and get a 30 caliber suppressor. They then shoot 308 and under in it.

Ask over on SilencerTalk.com. Someone there can point you to something that will work for you.
Old January 11, 2010, 04:10 PM   #7
1911rocks

Gemtech

These are the only suppressors I use. They are superb. The link is to the AWC Thundertrap. I think you'll everything but 270.

http://www.awcsystech.com/products/s...s/thundertrap/

Last edited by 1911rocks; January 11, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:14 PM   #8
RAnb

Quote:
Why do we keep hearing this crap? If suppressing high powered rifles is an excercise in futility, then I guess I am a f--king idiot for making these on my lathe in the garage. The suppressed high powered rifles are not quiet by any definition, but the noise is reduced dramatically. It usually impresses anyone who is not expecting the BS Hollywood performance.

Try standing next to two shooters without hearing protection, one suppressed and one unsuppressed. This should make a believer out of anyone as to how effective they really are. Since the sonic wave of the supersonic bullet doesn't pass the shooter's ear when shot out in the open, the muzzle blast is by far the greatest noise component.

Ranb

Last edited by RAnb; January 11, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:22 PM   #9
RAnb

Quote:
I was wondering if their was any way I can silence a .270 or a .243? I am wanting a high powered rifle silenced. If you have any information please fill me in. I am looking for a homemade one or anything thank you.
Contact the manufacturers at these links; http://www.silencertests.com/links.htm . They can tell you if their 308 silencers are warranted for use on 270 or 243 rifles. It should not be a problem as many silencer owners report good results using a silencer intended for the 308 Winchester on their 5.56 rifles. Check out the subguns and silencertalk forums for advice on buying and making silencers. Expect to pay about $1000 and up for a 308 silencer from a reputable manufacturer including the tax.

Making or buying a silencer both require routine ATF authorization and a one time $200 tax. It is unlikely that any hobbyist like myself would be willing to make you one for liability reasons. Also if you live in different state from the unlicensed maker, then are two $200 taxes to be paid to get it to you and that makes a homemade silencer not worth it.

Feel free to PM me.

Ranb
Old January 12, 2010, 03:28 PM   #10
WoofersInc

Ranb.

Seems you and I are on a quest lately concerning education on suppressor legality and use.
Old January 13, 2010, 04:17 AM   #11
RAnb

Yes, I have been for the last several years. Thanks for the help. WA state bans use and I have been trying to educate as many residents and law makers as I can. It is an uphill battle as all kinds of people tend to resist to admit that silencers are useful or even legal. They sometimes persist in this even after they read my posts about the legalities and how they work.

Lately I have grown tired of being nice to those who decide that I am a criminal because one of my hobbies is making silencers. They anger me of even more when they think an apology is enough instead of explaining why they made the accusation in the first place.

Ranb
Old January 13, 2010, 10:08 AM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

RAnb, the suppressors on those AR15s appear to have a pretty big hole in the can. Are those higher caliber suppressors mounted on an AR or did you manufacture them that way to give yourself some "oops" room?
Old January 14, 2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Crosshair

Quote:
RAnb, the suppressors on those AR15s appear to have a pretty big hole in the can. Are those higher caliber suppressors mounted on an AR or did you manufacture them that way to give yourself some "oops" room?
To me it looks like he is using a K-baffle there.
Old January 14, 2010, 07:43 PM   #14
RAnb

The first AR photo is a 458 socom, the silencer bore is about .520" to ensure no baffle strikes. The second AR photo is a 5.56 NM. The end cap is cone shaped like a baffle. Sideways it would look like the letter M. The bore is about .28" and the end cap opens up to about .65" on the outside to reduce weight. I care more about accuracy than suppression, so I give myself some more "oops" room than some others think is required.

Ranb
Old January 14, 2010, 10:17 PM   #15
Crosshair

K-baffle. M baffle. my bad. I was close.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:21 PM   #16
PTK

Quote:

Here's a dramatic demonstration video as proof of how wrong you are.

Video link.

That is my rifle, my silencer, and my camera with a friend filming.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:30 AM   #17
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I am looking for a homemade one or anything thank you.

???
Old January 29, 2010, 10:27 AM   #18
s_markum

Everyone can make a comment on whether or not it's worth it, or they work, or even their own design ideas. The best thing that you could do is to look up a SOT2 manufacturer in your area. Yes, there are plenty out there. They will run the specs for you and transfer it to you legally. You're going to be out the price for the can and the $200 tax stamp, but it will keep the "homemade" garbage from biting you in the future. The only way to own a class III item is to own it legally.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:01 AM   #19
jmorris

I also built one for a 458 socom that I use for hog hunting. I made it so it came back over the barrel to add volume to help out for its lack of length. Here is a video http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...urrent=458.flv

Old January 29, 2010, 11:49 AM   #20
dreamweaver

I'm very impressed with the workmanship of you guys making your own cans!
I only have one, in 9mm, and it has aluminum baffles. is aluminum sufficient for higher pressure rounds, .223 for example, or do you use stainless for those?
Old January 29, 2010, 02:26 PM   #21
jmorris

For rifle rounds aluminum isn’t the best choice for longevity. Steel is better but the best use other metals that are even more abrasion/heat resistant like Inconel.

Most of my Form 1 suppressors use a Mix of 4130, 4140 chromoly steel and 6061 or 7075 aluminum.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:41 PM   #22
RAnb

My first 223 can was 4130 tube end caps and blast baffle. The remaining bafles are all aluminum. My second 223 can is all 4130. The aluminum is holding up ok, but I do not heat it up much.

Ranb
Old January 29, 2010, 06:19 PM   #23
dreamweaver

thanks gents!
RA- can that over the barrel can be used on a ported barrel?
Old January 29, 2010, 07:39 PM   #24
Lawyer Daggit

Firstly can we stop talking about silencers. Silencers aim to silence a firearm they are large and bulky and are what Hollywood and the media have got politicians all worked up about.

What you want is what is widely used in NZ and the UK- a sound moderator- something that will cut the decibels of a firearm by 30% or so reducing hearing damage to the shooter and annoyance to the public if shooting in settled areas.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:49 PM   #25
jmorris

Quote:
Firstly can we stop talking about silencers.
I'm not a lawyer, Lawyer but all of my form 1's and 4's for suppressors state "silencer" as the type of firearm.