The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 8, 2006, 05:47 PM   #1
threegun

Need some fun practice for kids

Guys tomorrow morning I'm taking my boys ages 7 and 10 out to the range for some fun practice. I'm looking for some fun exercises for both handgun (Walther P-22's & PX4 Storm) and rifle (Ruger 10-22 and Walther G-22). Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 8, 2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure if your range would permit this, or if you have time since you're going out tomorrow morning, but one thing I found to be a real "blast" is a cheapo radio controlled car.

I bought one for around $25. at Wally World, mounted a stiff, thin wire about 4 feet long upright on it, put an alligator clip on the top, and clipped balloons to it.

It makes for great fun and great training on moving targets, but it you try this, make sure you get a car with a wide enough wheel base that it won't tip over on turns.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 8, 2006, 06:23 PM   #3
skeeter1

Two words...

Tin cans. They've been fun to shoot for many years. When a youngster (or an oldster, for that matter) knocks one down, than that's good fun.
Old December 8, 2006, 07:00 PM   #4
fairview mick

kids fun

When I helped run a trap field in the Cleveland area, I used to take some clay targets, set them up at about 15 or 20 feet and let the kids shoot at them with a .22. Or if your going to have a .410 or any light shooting shotgun, the kids really get a kick out of hitting a clay with a shotgun. Just stationary, not a thrown target! make sure they get some hits, or they'll lose interest quickly.
Mickey
Old December 8, 2006, 07:08 PM   #5
Chuck Dye

Reactive targets.

I like to freeze an inch or so of water in everything I have that will unmold the ice easily; bowls, opts, pans, Tupperware, Rubbermaid, disposable containers. It is easy and cheap to produce dozens of targets of various sizes. The ice shatters satisfyingly when hit and provides NO clean up chores. Pick your sizes for the ranges and marksmanship skills and enjoy.
Old December 8, 2006, 09:35 PM   #6
tony pasley

Balloons hanging from a target stand is fun.
Old December 8, 2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Travismaine

I teach the kids class at my local gun club along with a few other classes. When teaching children or new shooters I always use a bolt gun or load one shot at a time. You must pay very close attention to them as the younger they are the quicker ether attention seems to wander. I would recommend only taking ONE child at a time until they have the rules down. As for targets A shoot n see is the best as it teaches them to aim and gives instant feedback. Reactive targets while fun should not be used until they fully understand all the principals of safe shooting.

Travis
Old December 9, 2006, 06:29 AM   #8
locknid

wow I just thought shooting paper targets was fun enough, i guess i am easily amused though. I would, if they aren't already familar with guns, take them to a beginner shooting course at the range, make them pay attention and afterwards quiz them, and give them candy for right answers or something kids love candy. then it will be more enjoyable then on if they know safety
Old December 9, 2006, 07:10 AM   #9
38splfan

Necco Wafers.

Necco wafers are cheap and pretty much vaporize with a .22 hit. If they don't completely disappear, they are very biodegradable. A few good rain showers and some birds will have them gone in a day or two.

They aren't too small within 25 yards or so, but they are small enough to make your kids aim very carefully.
Old December 9, 2006, 07:13 AM   #10
threegun

Thanks for all the input. My boys while young have been shooting and properly handling guns for years. The system I have employed is simple, one at a time, no gun handling except when dad is supervising, and dad always stands behind the shooter (to correct any possible wondering attentions or other potential muzzle violations......instantly). I must say that my boys are more muzzle/safety conscious than many adult shooters.

Quote:
wow I just thought shooting paper targets was fun enough, i guess i am easily amused though
They are fine with punching paper. I want to insure that they have the greatest time possible each and every trip. Plus I want these fun tasks to aid in their marksmanship skills as well.

Capt Charlie, My boys heard your idea and started jumping and running around the house like crazy kids with excitement. I am a range officer so the chance that it will be allowed on the private section of range (if it can be done safely) is good. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old December 9, 2006, 07:25 AM   #11
locknid

i know when i used to go out to the desert i would bring a lot of old water bottles(plastic) and fill them up, always fun to see the water splash everywhere. also would shoot gi joe's and other action figures, cans, etc.
Old December 9, 2006, 10:10 AM   #12
skeeter1

I like the Necco wafers and ice ideas. Fun and biodegradable. Beware of shooting target clays where pigs might be around. It's my understanding that they can be toxic to them.
Old December 9, 2006, 01:34 PM   #13
Makarov The Lucky

My favorite ideas were Huck Phinns, Capt Charlies and Locknids ideas.
I think I might even try a few of these out next time I go to the range. :P
After all I am still young and paper is getting dull. =D
Let us know how it goes Threegun.
Old December 9, 2006, 03:38 PM   #14
cz223

How about Marsmallo Peeps

in their various shapes like bunnies, chicks, etc. They also come in various colors as well. Just take a board and drive a bunch of nails through it and skewer the the little buggers on the nails as a target stand. Although I have not tried it yet, I came up with the idea several months ago, I think they might stand up to a couple of shots each from a 22.
Old December 9, 2006, 07:01 PM   #15
mete

As a kid , I tought myself by putting small cans like 7 oz frozen orange juice cans in a field at 50 yds .If you hit them they will move so each shot they present a different picture.If you want to go 'big game ' hunting get some animal crackers !!
Old December 9, 2006, 07:54 PM   #16
motorep

Troll dolls. We get the little ones at garage sales for 5 or 10 cents each. You can bounce them around like cans, but the amusement factor is much higher.
Old December 9, 2006, 09:29 PM   #17
Swan Hunter

Golf Balls

Our local club does a Youth Camp and the old golf balls on a string are fun. Screw eye screw into ball, tie 3 foot string to 2x2 mount it horizontally about 20 feet away and shoot with pistol...Ball string wraps around the board with multiple hits...
Old December 9, 2006, 11:14 PM   #18
22-rimfire

I use clay pigeons (at 100 yds) and necco wafers (25 and 50 yds) if I want something other than cans. Pencils are pretty tough too at 25 yds. Stick them in the ground or duct tape them to something and shoot for the top 1" and then work your way down. The distances really depend on their shooting abilities and your's of course.

Clay pigeons are good with handguns at closer ranges too. If I can hit them consistantly, I feel pretty good about my shooting.
Old December 10, 2006, 01:05 AM   #19
chris in va

Bowling pins. Get some free from the alley, drill a hole at the top and hang them from a tree with some wire. A 22 will make them dance pretty good at closer ranges and they have a nice swing to try and hit.

That being said...Tannerite is always a crowd pleaser. So are those green 1# propane cans. Set a fire behind one, hit with a higher caliber. Ooooh, aaaahh.

Old steel scuba tanks make a nice loud PING when hit.

Cheap soda. WalMart has a 12 pack for $2. I usually pick up a few. Shake them up first for a nice pop.

Golfing with guns. Set a few balls on the ground, have the kids hit a fairway shot for a 100 yard drive if hit just right.
Old December 10, 2006, 07:44 AM   #20
threegun

Well guys I ended up using soda cans lined up on a 2x6. They had a blast (pardon the pun). I video taped them popping the cans off the board I'll try to post it when the Mrs. gets time (I don't know how to do that stuff). I think I'm going to buy a dueling tree and some other reaction type targets that emulate the cans. Our range banned bowling pins due to rebounding lead.
Old December 10, 2006, 11:13 AM   #21
raymond-

i would *not* go with bowling pins. they are hard and the 22 slug will rebound
unpredictably....I seen this several times...and with injury.

to add to the list, go to Costco (et al) and pick up large container of animal
crackers. have kids go on a safari. another environmentally friendly target
Old December 10, 2006, 06:26 PM   #22
threegun

Raymond, I'm going to try the animal cracker thing and maybe some cowboys and indians........okay mostly indians LOL.
Old December 13, 2006, 09:47 PM   #23
Slugthrower

Fun shooting.

When I was 12 yrs old. I and my best friend would take four cinder blocks , the thin solid ones. More like patio blocks. Two would be on bottom as a base, then we would take a 6 pack of empty Coke cans and line them up. Putting the last two blocks on top. We would then take our CO2 BB guns and lite the cans up. we would shoot the cans till they collasped. It takes alot of BBs. We would move and shoot them. I go , you go. It was a good challenge and helped make us pretty good shots on the move. We also used to ride bicycles and shoot cans on a fence post. I suppose you could say we were doing "peddle bys".
Shooting full cans was fun too, but what a waste of good soda pop.
Old December 14, 2006, 05:13 PM   #24
PzGren

My kids shot popsicle sticks at that age
Old December 14, 2006, 08:30 PM   #25
threegun

Pz, I was shooting hovering dragon flies at 8 yrs old. The bluegills in grandmas pond use to love me.