The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 22, 2021, 02:13 PM   #1
tex45acp

The .41 Magnum Club

Well my .41 magnum fascination began over 30 years ago.....purely by accident!! Ruger mentioned they would release a DA revolver in .44mag, well I went down and put my name on a very long list. Two years later when my Redhawk arrived the gun shop called me and I got there as quickly as I could only to find that a mistake had been made and the gun was in the caliber .41 magnum. It had funny looking D shaped cuts in the 7.5" barrel rib to mount a scope with supplied Ruger rings. Luckily the shop also had some .41 magnum ammo on the shelf. I bought four boxes went to the range and fell in love with the caliber. I’ve been hunting with it, competing with it, and reloading for it for over 30 years. As of Christmas this year, I now also have a Henry Big Boy carbine in .41 magnum as well! That’s a total of four .41 magnum’s now.
My first a 7.5” stainless Redhawk topped by a 2X Leopold Handgun Scope, a 4” Stainless Redhawk I customized from a 5.5” for carry in the woods, a stainless Taurus 415 in .41 magnum with a ported 2 1/2” barrel and my new Henry. Are you a .41 magnum lover like I am...if so lets see em!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41mags Small.jpg (404.8 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Henry .41mag small.jpg (773.1 KB, 198 views)
Old January 22, 2021, 02:52 PM   #2
RC20

I had a Ruger 44 mag back about 1973. Hated the safety bar as it had a slight issue that you had better pull hard or it would not fire.

Then a SW 44, nice, but I saw a guy with a 41 for sale, Rosewood grips, bought the 41 and sold the 44.

I don't shoot it a lot but with the Eypal I can shoot it and see the iron sights.
Old January 23, 2021, 07:28 AM   #3
rodfac

Tex, you have been badly bitten by the .41 bug. Your odyssey is similar to my own. In '72, I was looking for a .44 Smith M29, but my local gunshop was only able to find an 8-3/8" bbl'd M57. I bought it, found it superbly accurate but I didn't like the long bbl.

On close inspection, I found a chip in the muzzle crown, called Smith up in Springfield and they said bring it in. Living an hour's drive south, this was soon accomplished and Smith replaced the bbl. with a 6", then did an action/trigger job on it. It's a wonderful gun, far more accurate than I can shoot, and a prize that'll go to one of my son's some day.

Since then, I've acquired three Rugers (an Old Model 3-screw with 4-5/8" tube, a New Model with 6-1/2" bbl. and a blued Flattop with that same 6-1/2" bbl.) as well as a .41 Marlin 1894 S. This last .41, the Marlin, is a heck of a good deer gun with Hornady's 210 gr. XTP, and a solid plinker with home cast 220 gr LSWC's. With a receiver peep, it'll do sub 2" gps at 75 yds if I'm doing my part.

Here's a pic of the 3-screw with a pair of my home made grips on it and the Flat Top with some rosewood stocks I made up. The Marlin is last with a Williams FP on the receiver and a saddle ring to replace the $*&^ safety. I'm hooked too....Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 23, 2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old January 23, 2021, 12:28 PM   #4
ballisticxlr

I have the S&W 657-2 6.5" with unfluted cylinder. My singularly favorite revolver of ever.

This is a representative example, not my actual gun.
Old January 23, 2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Don't own one, but it was always on of those...."Hmmmm, I'd like to try that."

Would especially have one to compare and contrast against my two .44 mags.
Old January 23, 2021, 02:58 PM   #6
badge851

I own three 41 Magnum handguns...
• 2012 Taurus® TRACKER™ Mdl 425SS4CP
• 2017 Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® 6½"
• 2018 Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® 4⅝"
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old January 23, 2021, 03:39 PM   #7
tex45acp

I always wanted a 657 with that unfluted cylinder and a 4" barrel, but the opportunity never came to buy one.

Another want of mine that I have never found was a Desert Eagle in .41mag. I shot one once and fell in love with the gun, but alas it was not for sale.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:46 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

My first in the early 80’s was a 6” Blackhawk, didn’t care for SA. Traded it for a S&W 57 no dash 6” after about a year and have been shooting it since. About five years ago I picked up another 57 no dash 4” and it’s a nice shooter, prefer it to the 6” except for the heavy mag loads. Shortly after got my Henry BBS from the first production run and that’s what I mostly shoot now since my arthritic hands don’t like heavy recoiling handguns so much anymore. I have a nice moderate load that shoots well in all three guns, 8.2gr of Green Dot is accurate with manageable recoil.
Old January 24, 2021, 12:54 PM   #9
Ruger45LC

I can't say anything bad about the .41 Mag, I've had several Blackhawks in .41 including one that was stainless, a 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk 41 mag, several 7.5" Super Blackhawk Hunters in .41 mag as well as a S&W 57.
Old January 24, 2021, 03:12 PM   #10
Sanch

I think that the .41 Rem Mag is superior to the .44 Rem Mag due to sectional densities to bullets.

S&W should have modified its "L" Frame to fire the .41 Rem Mag.
Old January 24, 2021, 10:13 PM   #11
rodfac

Quote:
S&W should have modified its "L" Frame to fire the .41 Rem Mag.
Yep, something along the lines of the 5-shot .44 Mag Model 69 would interest me...but I fear the .41 is a cult caliber...just not enough of us aficionados to justify a production run. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 25, 2021, 11:11 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Some years ago I picked up a very lightly used Model 58 Smith.

Love that gun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 25, 2021, 01:31 PM   #13
black mamba

I have a NM Blackhawk 4-5/8" and a 57 (no dash) 8-3/8", and like 'em both . . . but the Smith is an absolute tack driver, and one of my favorites.
Old January 25, 2021, 10:36 PM   #14
SIGSHR

Have had my 4" Model 57 since 1980.
Old January 25, 2021, 11:00 PM   #15
DavidAGO

Some years ago I picked up a very lightly used Model 58 Smith.

Sigh, I have been looking for a nice 58 for years, they have become unobtanium. It is the last of my "holy grail " guns. I sold a very nice one before I went off to dental school years ago, needed the money. Last gun I ever sold

David
Old January 26, 2021, 01:49 AM   #16
Sgt127

I have exactly one .41 Magnum.

My very first carry gun was a Model 58. I wanted Blue, could only find nickel. I used to shoot the lead semiwadcutters. With the soft points, it was miserable. Still is.
Old January 26, 2021, 03:04 AM   #17
STORM2

Tex, thanks for the thread and a club with no meetings. Apparently ongoing dues will depend on how many 41s one can find. Chasing guns of any caliber is Covid challenging but we all need something to do after ‘Make Your Bed’ (it was a speech by Admiral McRaven, worth a listen). The 41 found me, first gun out of the gate for 2021.

It’s a 4 1/2 “ Blackhawk. I picked it up because the 4 digit s/n (1612) was facing up. Anything with low digits always make me reach. Once I picked it up, did the usual count empty cylinders, noticed it was a 41 and no transfer bar, the outcome was sealed. We had already decided to start filling in missing calibers as part of our be ready for any bullet should fit something policy. The Tribe (family trust) hasn’t fired it yet but we have rounded up a couple hundred rounds and it is on the agenda next trip. The brass, dies and projectiles are here or on the way so the 41 branch office is in business.

Pictures tomorrow, I forgot to get the usual mug shots because of caliber distraction rounding all the new stuff up.

Thanks to the others for sharing experiences on the caliber. Our 41 knowledge is nonexistent, we have been in the ‘anything 45 tunnel’ forever. The gun came with leather but the belt lost too much weight for me. The good news is it is not an expensive custom rig and a call to Hunter can solve the fashion issue.

Last edited by STORM2; January 26, 2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old January 26, 2021, 11:11 AM   #18
ocharry

i have a pair of 41 blackhawks. 4 5/8" barrels

love them
Old January 26, 2021, 01:25 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Have had my 4" Model 57 since 1980. "

A few months ago I was picking up a 9mm carbine at my local gun store when I saw that they had two Model 57s in the case -- 6" and 8 3/8".

They were, unfortunately, both nickel plated.

Had one of them been a blued 4" I would have gladly shelled out the $900 asking price.

Old January 27, 2021, 10:51 AM   #20
jetinteriorguy

Just a reminder, no Blue Dot. Bad juju.
Old January 27, 2021, 11:00 AM   #21
SIGSHR

I found the .41 Magnum very easy to reload, in fact it was 10 years before I fired a factory load in mine.
My experience with Blue Dot in .357 was it worked great with 110/125 JHPs, did not work well with lead bullets. Several of the gun writers warned against using in cold weather.
Old January 27, 2021, 11:16 AM   #22
FlyFish

I have two M57s - a well-traveled (has German proof marks) 8-3/8" -1 from 1984, and a 6" -4 from 1993. Great guns - fun to shoot, fun to reload for.
Old January 27, 2021, 01:17 PM   #23
dahermit

I had a M58 back in the late seventies that I milled a slot in the top-strap and attached S&W revolver rear sight. I also machined an intregral ramped front sight to match the new rear sight.

I have a Ruger .41 Magnum Blackhawk that I carried when I lurked in the Pere Marquette River woods adjacent to my 45 Acers.

I also had a M57 with an eight and three-eights barrel. It was a beautiful gun, but found it cumbersome to carry, even slung across my chest, riding under my left arm pit.

I had a S&W 657 with a six-inch barrel with which I took a big Michigan doe, shooting double-action.

Although I do not have a .41 now, it was a great cartridge.
Old January 27, 2021, 01:20 PM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

For loading .41 I generally load lighter loads with WW 231 and lead bullets. Those are very nice easy shooters.

For something heavier I use AA 7.

And if I want really get my magnum on, WW 296.

Old January 27, 2021, 10:53 PM   #25
Ifishsum

6.5" NM Blackhawk here, bought from the second owner. Each owner before me had fired 6 rounds and it came with an old box of Remington ammo with 38 rounds inside.

Great cartridge IMO, and the gun really likes those Speer 210gr half-jacket bullets they don't make anymore. Loaded with H110 and I only have a couple hundred of those Speers left...but it's the sidearm I always pick up as a hunting companion or just knocking around in the woods. I think it's easier to shoot than the .44 and close enough to the energy delivered for whatever I'm likely to run up against.