The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 23, 2021, 02:45 PM   #101
TunnelRat

Years ago I went the route of trying aftermarket extractors and this ejector or that ejector. My experience was what came in the pistol worked the best. If you want to grab the parts just because, by all means, but give the stock parts a try for some time. And yes my experience over the past decade is that most production pistols are quite reliable out of the box. The ones that weren’t had serious issues that required trips back to the factory. Even the used pistols I’ve bought (as many as new) have been very reliable.

I agree with AK about the sights. Find something you like along those lines and go with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 23, 2021, 03:42 PM   #102
Alan0354

Thanks AK103K. I have an appointment at 2pm today. the shop has both Glock 19 or 26. Thanks to you reminding about the 26 as I keep thinking it's like the 43 with 6 rounds only. Both are $650.

I'll see whether the shop has CZ to look at. I definitely need to buy .38special for my two snubies!!! I "qualified" my S&W659 with Federal hollow points. I hope they still sell the same style I have. Or else, I have to go test out the new rounds with the 659 again.

Funny, I am very into pistols and I don't know anything about pistols at the same time. I was so into it for years 30 years ago and dropped it. Now I am getting back in again and everything is new. I belong to the pre-polymer days, it's like new toy to me.

BTW, when I said buy after market extractor and ejector, I don't just change for the sake of changing. I meant I buy the spare ones, modified them according to my experience on fixing those in the pass, put it in and try. If I have problem, I just put back the original parts that come with the gun. No harm no foul. i don't trust any more on the after market parts. It's just for me to modify and try.

I am not going to polish the feedramp or the chamber as Glock looks to be very smooth already, nothing like what I saw from the pass. That would be modifying the gun and I would avoid that.

It's all by examining the parts when I actually have it in my hand to determine. I am just speculating.

Last edited by Alan0354; January 23, 2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old January 23, 2021, 04:04 PM   #103
Alan0354

I am nervous and excited going there!!! Have not touch a new gun for 30 years!!! Everything is new to me, brand changed. In my days, Colt is "The" gun, now, I hardly hear this name anymore. CZ was supposed to be cheap stuff before, Now, seems to be very famous. Only S&W seems to be as famous as before. Wish me luck!!!
Old January 23, 2021, 04:58 PM   #104
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I said they have been doing things to try and stay relevant, there is a difference
I concede that the two things are not exactly equivalent, just very tightly linked. If there's no danger of losing relevance, efforts to stay relevant are pretty much the definition of pointless.
Quote:
I cannot imagine semi auto pistol has no jam out of the box.
There are several companies putting out sem-auto pistols that are almost always reliable right off the shelf. It is reality.
Quote:
My experience is all my semi auto pistol become very reliable ONLY after I do a lot of work myself on the feedramp, chamber, ejector, extractor and ejection port.
That would not be tolerated in today's gun market. These days, it's my experience that people cause more problems working on their guns to make them better than they fix. And, for what it's worth, to be fair, even 30 years ago there were pistols that were reliable right out of the box--as well as some that weren't. The latter has become far less probable these days.
Quote:
When I buy the Glock, I would immediately buy the ejector and extractor and the extractor spring, save the original parts and work on the new parts and see what happens.
It's your money and time, but you could burn the money and spend the time watching TV and likely end up with the exactly the same result in terms of the effect on the pistol.

That said, if you want to buy parts with the goal being reliability, buying factory parts would probably make more sense.

Definitely shoot the gun before you buy any parts or make any changes (other than maybe the sights).
Old January 23, 2021, 05:26 PM   #105
Alan0354

I just got back from the store, I did not buy one yet. I looked at the 19 and 26. I love the size of the 26, but I really like how the 19 feel!!! I know I should get the 19, but I have the 659 already, my mind tells me I should go for the 26, but I just love the way the 19 feel.

It doesn't help the guy is very unfriendly. I had to make appointment, I couldn't decide, I said I need a few minutes to think, he said, don't think too long!!! I am going to call other places to see whether someone else carry Glock, or even CZ and Sig.

I/we have a much bigger issue, I can't buy either .38 or 9mm. ALL OUT!!! They said this is NOT limited to Kalifornia. Even in Kentucky has shortage. This is scary. I don't reload, so I am going to have issue just to test out the gun. I have limited amount of rounds.

Last edited by Alan0354; January 23, 2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:37 AM   #106
Willie Lowman

Did you just discover that there is a nation wide ammo shortage?
Old January 24, 2021, 08:11 AM   #107
tomrkba

Guys! Alan0354 lives in CA! Most of the guns you are recommending are not available due to the roster!
Old January 24, 2021, 08:30 AM   #108
tomrkba

Alan0354’s choices for a polymer framed 9mm pistol are rather limited. If you go through the roster, which I periodically do, you will see he can easily order the following 9mm polymer framed guns:

(I skipped cheap, unknown or small makers; variants not included):

Beretta PX4 Storm
Glock 17.3
Glock 19.3
Glock 26.3
Glock 34.3
HK USP 9
HK USP 9 Compact
HK P2000
HK P2000SK
Kahr CW 9
Kahr PM 9
SIG SP2022
S&W Shield
S&W SD9 VE
Springfield XD (various models 3”, 4”, 5” barrels)

This is all that is easily available to him! He can buy off roster guns, but choices will be random and very expensive. A SIG P210, which retails for $1450, will sell for $4,000 or more. A new Gen 4 or 5 Glock will easily sell for $1,200 to $1,500. Get on Calguns to see the horror!!!

The good choices come down to Glock, HK, SIG and the S&W Shield.

Last edited by tomrkba; January 24, 2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old January 24, 2021, 08:43 AM   #109
highpower3006

To the OP, You have certainly picked a difficult time to get back into shooting. While guns are difficult to buy and the selection is rather limited, ammo is by far the hardest thing to find right now. Thank goodness I have a decent stash of factory ammo and a goodly supply of reloading components.

I believe you are way overthinking this. I am most definitely not a Glock fanboy, but I have used a Glock 19 as my EDC gun for a number of years. It is still 100% stock and it goes bang every single time I pull the trigger. IMO there is absolutely no reason to tinker with the mechanism. The G19 is not a target gun and a carry piece doesn't need a silky smooth 2 pound trigger. I personally prefer a trigger somewhere in the 4-5 pound range so it takes a little pressure to shoot, that way if I do have to pull it out for some reason, I have to think before shooting. It's not a target gun and all it needs to do and it does it very well, is to hit an area the size of a small saucer at relatively close range. I know I'll get some flack for that, but that is how I see it.

After who knows how many rounds through mine (I have never bothered to keep track) the trigger feels just right, but then again I thought it felt plenty good enough when I first got it. I know a fellow that has a gun range and he told me years ago that of all the Glocks he rents out, the Gen3's give him the least issues.

Over the years I have found that the grip of a handgun is the hardest to conceal and if that was my only consideration, I would carry a G26. However, the G26 grip is too stubby for my tastes and if I lengthen the grip by using a G19 magazine with a sleeve, then what I have is a short barreled G19. Because the barrel goes lengthwise down my leg (IWB four o'clock carry), it is the easiest part of a gun to conceal. Because of that, I see zero advantage in owning a G26. If it is real hot and my choice of clothing necessitates carrying a smaller gun, I switch over to my Shield instead.
Old January 24, 2021, 10:04 AM   #110
cslinger

Tomrkba,

Now I think California’s laws and roster are arbitrary and ridiculous. I am in no way condoning them.

That said ..... that isn’t exactly a SUPER limited amount of poor choices or anything. Alan has options.
Old January 24, 2021, 01:10 PM   #111
Alan0354

Thanks guys for the comments.

Hey thanks Highpower3006. You gave me a good idea, my reservation about 26 is the short grip, I can buy the longer mag to make up if I want to. Seems like the 26 is the way to go.

Yes, sadly, I live in Kalifornia. I am not that into guns like you guys. I have my share already. If it's not because of our current Resident in the WH, I don't even think I would even consider buying another gun. I am so out of touch in the gun world I have no idea we have ammo shortage!!!

Why there's an ammo shortage? I can see there's a problem with Kalifornia, why other states? It's been months the BLM and antifa burning and looting the cities, can't they crank up the production?

Don't tell me I am forced to learn reloading!!! That's another can of worms!!!
Old January 24, 2021, 01:19 PM   #112
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Alan0354’s choices for a polymer framed 9mm pistol are rather limited. If you go through the roster, which I periodically do, you will see he can easily order the following 9mm polymer framed guns:

(I skipped cheap, unknown or small makers; variants not included):

Beretta PX4 Storm
Glock 17.3
Glock 19.3
Glock 26.3
Glock 34.3
HK USP 9
HK USP 9 Compact
HK P2000
HK P2000SK
Kahr CW 9
Kahr PM 9
SIG SP2022
S&W Shield
S&W SD9 VE
Springfield XD (various models 3”, 4”, 5” barrels)

This is all that is easily available to him! He can buy off roster guns, but choices will be random and very expensive. A SIG P210, which retails for $1450, will sell for $4,000 or more. A new Gen 4 or 5 Glock will easily sell for $1,200 to $1,500. Get on Calguns to see the horror!!!

The good choices come down to Glock, HK, SIG and the S&W Shield.
Thanks for the the list of guns. Another one that looks interesting is S&W Shield. that is thinner. How is this one? Reliable and durable?
Old January 24, 2021, 01:58 PM   #113
eflyguy

The shield is practically identical to the G43. I bought my 43 pretty much as soon as they came out, to replace the 26.

I bought the shield for my daughter, because she is more comfortable having a manual safety when carrying with a round chambered. I don't have that reservation with my 43. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same firearm. Call out technical differences all day long, in practice, it makes no difference to us.

I guess I'm fortunate to have all of them in the family, and I guess that just reinforces trying before you buy - but you can't carry for a while when you're just trying. The 43 (or shield) suit me far better than any double-stack, even if I shoot the latter better in USPSA.
Old January 24, 2021, 05:04 PM   #114
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Don't tell me I am forced to learn reloading!!! That's another can of worms!!!
Don't worry. There's no primers to be had so you won't be doing any reloading either.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:08 PM   #115
Alan0354

Usually how long this kind of ammo shortage last?

I have two boxes of 9mm Federal JHP, one box of 380 Silver Tip for Walter PPKS, two boxes of 25ACP for my Beretta. I guess it's enough for self defense for now. The one I am short is .38special for the snubies, I only have about half a box.

Problem is what am I going to do buying another gun?!! I got no bullets to spare to even go shooting. The ones I have are proven for my existing guns already and I am not going to use them up.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:29 PM   #116
cslinger

Traditionally you are looking at 2 to 3 years. This time around I would probably bank on 3-5 as it is just the perfect storm of crap all at once.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:38 PM   #117
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
Traditionally you are looking at 2 to 3 years. This time around I would probably bank on 3-5 as it is just the perfect storm of crap all at once.
Why, can't they just crank up the production? Like toilet papers, they raised production right away, the shortage only lasted a month.

I bet if they run over time 24/7 for a month, they can resolve the problem already.

Now I am at a dilemma, buy a new gun, no bullets. Don't buy, Stupid liberal might ban the guns.

One side question, I was in the store yesterday, I saw they display a lot of long guns that look more "assault weapon" like than AR15, I thought they banned all those in Kalifornia already. Of cause, I have no idea what those are, I don't know anything now!!! In my days, it's uzi, AR15 and AK47!!!
Old January 24, 2021, 06:44 PM   #118
cslinger

Long story short.

Manufacturers of ammo cannot increase long term production (assets, plants, machines etc.) for a short term increase in demand. The ammo manufacturers are running full tilt but are also at the mercy of COVID restrictions etc.

It is what it is and you get used to it in the modern shooting community although this time there are so many factors in play it’s just a perfect storm so to speak.

Things will get back to some kind of normal but alas it takes time and like a forest fire sort of has to burn itself out.

I mean I am sure folks will come along and give all kinds of additional reasons and fears etc. but that’s kinda it in a nutshell.
Chris
Old January 24, 2021, 06:46 PM   #119
AK103K

Theyve been running over time 24/7 for most of the year now.

Thank the people who dont plan ahead and went into full blown panic mode. Again.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:50 PM   #120
TunnelRat

Thinking about a Glock19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Theyve been running over time 24/7 for most of the year now.

Thank the people who dont plan ahead and went into full blown panic mode. Again.

While that’s definitely part of it, there are also a lot of new firearm owners as well. People generally don’t own ammo before they own a firearm. For those new owners I have some sympathy. For the rest we have had record low prices and wide scale availability in recent years. If people didn’t take advantage of that then now they’ll learn the hard way.

Old January 24, 2021, 06:51 PM   #121
cslinger

Quote:
Thank the people who dont plan ahead and went into full blown panic mode. Again
It’s not just that. There is a huge influx of new gun buyers. Now the vast number of them will probably never be “shooters” so to speak but they are going to want to buy a box or three of ammo and even if they buy one box, never to shoot a single round, that’s still like 7 or 8 million boxes of demand that didn’t exist 8 months ago.

Factor in 2 or 3 boxes and sprinkle in a few who become “shooters” and your demand has risen exponentially.

Like I said forest fire. Let it burn out.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:55 PM   #122
cslinger

Also keep in mind that it’s not as simple to “stack deep when it’s cheap” for everybody. It’s not just a monetary consideration but a storage/physical space consideration for many.

Now should you have few hundred in case stuff rounds, absolutely!!!! but keeping enough ammo on hand to shoot when you want supply be damned is a logistical undertaking.

Then there are wives.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:56 PM   #123
TunnelRat

Thinking about a Glock19

Quote:
It’s not just that. There is a huge influx of new gun buyers. Now the vast number of them will probably never be “shooters” so to speak but they are going to want to buy a box or three of ammo and even if they buy one box, never to shoot a single round, that’s still like 7 or 8 million boxes of demand that didn’t exist 8 months ago.

Factor in 2 or 3 boxes and sprinkle in a few who become “shooters” and your demand has risen exponentially.

Like I said forest fire. Let it burn out.

I think that’s an excellent point about gun owners vs. shooters. Hopefully this will be more of a short term jump in demand than long term. I think that’s also why you probably won’t see new factories built just for this. By the time they came online that demand might already be decreasing. Before all of this prices were quite low and shelves were packed. Bringing a new factory online to end up back at that isn’t something manufacturers want.

Old January 24, 2021, 06:59 PM   #124
Alan0354

It's dangerous to buy guns and not going practice!!! Particular for semi auto, you need to proof the gun first!!! How are they going to know how to rack the gun and all if they don't go shooting. Me and my wife went shooting twice every week for years and she shot loose a little Charter Arm snubies. That's how much she practiced. I even practice ambidexter.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:04 PM   #125
Alan0354

Quote:
Also keep in mind that it’s not as simple to “stack deep when it’s cheap” for everybody. It’s not just a monetary consideration but a storage/physical space consideration for many.

Now should you have few hundred in case stuff rounds, absolutely!!!! but keeping enough ammo on hand to shoot when you want supply be damned is a logistical undertaking.

Then there are wives.
Ha ha, it's my wife that reminded me to go practice shooting again this time!!!

Or else, I might not even thinking about buying a new gun. For my purpose, I already have plenty of guns. But..........What is one more Glock!!!)

Too bad she can't rack the slide, or else, I'll get her a semi auto. Well, she has two snubies and the Colt Trooper to use.

I was even thinking of getting her the Beretta 32ACP that's like my 950 25ACP. You can tip the barrel up and put the round in the chamber and close it. You don't need to rack the slide. But I read the reviews are not that good.

Last edited by Alan0354; January 24, 2021 at 07:10 PM.