The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 26, 2022, 03:07 PM   #1
stagpanther

More Wolf Polyformance Fun--PSA AR47

I have visitors about to show up for a few days--but decided to take a break from the endless cleaning to get some lead in the air. Decided to squeeze off 10 rounds of bulk ammo through my "bottom of the barrel" AR 47 upper I scored for $149 some years ago. I probably pulled a few of the shots, but still this is pretty close my best 7.62 x 39 handloads.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSA AR47 polyformance.jpg (104.6 KB, 194 views)
Old June 26, 2022, 06:34 PM   #2
44caliberkid

Nice group, scoped rifle I assume. In my own recent testing, Wolf was the best, even compared to commercial brass loadings. PMC brass was the next best, or equal to. I have dies but haven’t reloaded 7.62x39, just because I’m still shooting Wolf Polyformance that I bought in the early 90’s, case lots, averages out to $2.00 per box.
Old June 26, 2022, 06:53 PM   #3
stagpanther

Thanks, simple Primary Arms scope. 5 shots I could probably get close to MOA--10 is harder to keep that tight (for me anyway). The polyformance is excellent performance value--even at today's prices. Having said all that, I bought a bunch of their 5.56 as well and it seems a bit more erratic in my 5.56 AR's, in a couple of my rifles it short-strokes occasionally while all other bulk stuff I've used doesn't.

My AR47 is decidedly "low tech."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7132.jpg (104.8 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 26, 2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old July 9, 2022, 07:18 PM   #4
stagpanther

While out shooting my 6mmCreedmoor today I thought--just for grins--why not try your AK and Polyformance at the same distance? Never shot an AK past 200 yds before, so here is 7 shots at 352 yds using wolf Polyformance and Bushnell AK Optics @ 4x.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7266.jpg (176.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg wolf polyformance PSAK 352 yds.jpg (107.6 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; July 9, 2022 at 07:32 PM.
Old July 10, 2022, 01:26 PM   #5
stagpanther

Just to "double my fun" I loaded up a batch of one of my best 7.62 x 39 hand loads that uses 123 sst's and AA1680 to shoot at the same distance to see how they compared to the wolf polyformance. I have on occasion got these to group at under MOA at 100 yds.

I was fully expecting my hand loads to paste the polyformance--but was a bit shocked to see instead a group that flew apart at more than a foot in dispersion of the impacts. Not sure why that is--maybe they slowed down enough at that distance they destabilized or maybe they don't engrave to the lands/grooves as well as the rooskie boolits--I dunno. Interesting result though.
Old July 11, 2022, 05:17 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

I love the SST’s in my AR47, they are the only bullets I’ve been able to load that shot under MOA. In my AR Stoner upper the best results we’re using RE7, which these days seems to have pretty much evaporated.
Old July 11, 2022, 07:53 AM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
I love the SST’s in my AR47, they are the only bullets I’ve been able to load that shot under MOA. In my AR Stoner upper the best results we’re using RE7, which these days seems to have pretty much evaporated.
I've used that combo as well and it does shoot well. Other good powders CF BLK and shooter's world BO.

What I'm doing is really an excursion to see what an AK can do past 100 yds. Part of this is using a rudimentary optic and the BDC hold-overs so I don't have to change the default elevation and windage turret settings at 100 yds. I've shot pretty good groups out to 100 to 175 yds with my handloads, but then they start coming apart no matter how tight they group at shorter ranges past that. I'm curious as to why that is, and why the Wolf stuff seems to hang a little better at the longer distances even if it isn't as accurate as my handloads at closer distances. I suspect it has something to do with the inherent design of the bullets which simply are not meant to be shot much past 100 yds. I have fun doing stuff like this.
Old July 13, 2022, 04:54 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

When I bought my first AK47 it was a Norinco, cost me $108.00. I have no idea what ammo I was using at the time, but I had no trouble ringing a 14” gong at 350 yds with about 90% hits just using the iron sights. Of course that’s back when I had eyes like a falcon and nerves of steel. I was pretty impressed with how that rifle shot. But after the Clinton ban I sold it for $1100.00 and used the money to buy a BAR in 300WM with a nice Redfield mount and scope, plus I bought my first .41mag Ruger Blackhawk. I later traded the BAR to a guy for a nice Yamaha 650 plus he gave me $600.00 cash due to the sound of the timing chain slapping when you’d let off the throttle. Took me five minutes to fix the bike which I then sold for $2400.00. Guy crashed the bike four blocks from my house after buying it. I then used some of this nice profit to buy my MAC90 for $119.00 and I still have it to this day, and it shoots just as good as the Norinco did.
Old July 13, 2022, 06:55 AM   #9
stagpanther

I've shot a lot at the 350+ yd distance the past few days with my AK, usually groups in the 8 to 10 shot range. In all cases, regardless of the type of ammo I used, I noticed the first couple of shots generally landed very close to the POA but the group walked up and left with successive shots. I even removed the canted flash suppressor and it still did the same thing.