The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 23, 2022, 08:00 PM   #1
Deltadart

Ithaca Navy Hawken

I have an Ithaca Navy Hawken in .54 cal. that I need to replace the nipple on. I have been trying to find the correct size with no luck. Since this is an American made rifle I thought it would not be a metric thread, however I am starting to think it is. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Deltadart; June 23, 2022 at 08:09 PM.
Old June 25, 2022, 10:59 PM   #2
Hellgate

I believe either Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gun Works is where you can send the mystery nipple to and they will see if they have a duplicate.

A little sad history From Track of the Wolf:
"Ithaca Hawken Rifle discontinued, warranty void, no factory parts or support
Ithaca Hawken Rifle discontinued, made by Ithaca Gun Company, Ithaca, New York from tooling and patterns created by Cherry Corners' Gun Shop, Lodi, Ohio. Later sold to Navy Arms Company, who made Ithaca - Navy Hawken rifles. Later made by Aldo Uberti, Italy, as his Santa Fe Hawken Rifle.No factory parts or support after the factory closed.Happil"
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 25, 2022, 11:44 PM   #3
Deltadart

Thanks Hellgate
Yes it is a sad end to a great history. The Ithaca is fairly close to the original Hawkens and plains rifles of the 1820s to the 1850s. Cherry Corners did a great job back in the day of building them. So few parts were available in any quantity back then much was hand made. As the black powder interest grew more parts were factory made in quantity. As stated in your article, Cherry Corners sold to Ithaca who made a great gun but no a lot of money on it, sold to Navy, same thing, and finally to Uberti. In the mid 70s the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle, and the Ithaca Hawkin were excellent rifles, however they could not compete with the much less expensive Thompson Center guns, those were not original, but great quality and much lower prices. Mine has been well maintained and is in very good condition, with few minor bumps but still a good shooter. I thought the nipple was a 1/4-28 as in my Browning Mountain Rifle, but it pretty snug, however a 1/4-28 will start to thread. It may be when this particular rfle was made in 42 years ago the tap was just a little worn-out. I have contacted Track and they said it is probably the 1/4-28.
Old June 26, 2022, 12:47 PM   #4
Deltadart

The correct thread is 1/4-28, I put a tap in and gently turned it in. Very light resistance. The new nipples fit perfectly now.
Old June 26, 2022, 08:59 PM   #5
Hellgate

YAY!!!
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 27, 2022, 09:38 AM   #6
bladesmith 1

Deltadart is right. All my metric threaded nipples are now American threads. For rifles it is 1/4x28 and there is hardly any difference in that and the metric thread. Get yourself a tap from the hardware store and have at it.
Old June 27, 2022, 02:37 PM   #7
Deltadart

I do not think the tap cut any metal, the resisitance was as I said very light. Probably just fouled. However Bladesmith is right, I contacted Pedersoli about my Kentucky rifle a couple years ago and they said it was 1/4-28 as well. So now the next thought is converting to a musket cap. For an odd reason I have a bunch of musket caps. So I need to make one of these Hawkens use musket caps, or use that as an excuse to buy the P1853 I have long wanted.