The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2015, 10:35 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

.357 Remington Maximum

Anyone have ideas regarding what brass could be used to form .357 Maximum brass?
Old July 11, 2015, 01:33 AM   #2
steveno

there isn't any brass that can be used to form 357 max. I think Starline is making it
Old July 11, 2015, 05:14 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

The best way to get .357 Maximum brass is to place a backorder with Starline.

The second "easiest" way to make .357 Maximum brass is to cut down .223 Remington cases, after expanding in small steps, up to .35 caliber. Then ream the cases to accept a .358" bullet. And, most importantly, spend a bunch of money modifying your firearm to use some type of moon clip (revolvers) or c-clips (single-shots).

A slightly cheaper way to get .357 Maximum brass is to have someone like Rocky Mountain Cartridge lathe-turn some cases from solid bar stock. You must, however, keep pressures quite low. The brass cannot be used in full pressure loads (not even remotely close to full pressure).

The worst way to make .357 Maximum brass is to cut down .357 Mag or .38 Special, ream the cases to accept an internal union (small piece of C260 tubing), and solder the union in place while also adding a case extension made from 3/8" C260 tubing. It has been done, and does work. But you must keep pressures fairly low, like with lathe-turned cases.

....Just give Starline a call, or place an order through their website.
Old July 11, 2015, 07:43 AM   #4
Coogs

Once a year. I believe, Remington still does a run. I usually get mine at Midway.
Just checked, unavailable, seasonal run. Seems to me I've gotten there before in the fall. Throw out a post for some here, try Rugerforum.com or the IHMSA.org and post a wanted add. I don't really have any to spare right now. Hope this helps. Coogs.
Old July 11, 2015, 10:49 AM   #5
ammo.crafter

max

Thanks for the advices.
Old July 11, 2015, 09:25 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

Just post on line that you need some of this brass. I did it on castboolits.com and got seven hundred cases as a pretty fair price. Since you easily get ten or more loads out of each case you'll be set for a very long time. Lots of guys sitting on this brass and will sell you some.
Old July 15, 2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Peter M. Eick

Yeah, you need to stock up on the yearly Remington Run.

I bought a lot a while back and folks scoffed at me but with now 5 maxes to feed, I am set.

Old July 15, 2015, 09:28 PM   #8
bluetopper

Midway, Grafs, Midsouth, Natchez all sell it from time to time. Put in a backorder, you'll get some.

I have a 13" Contender 357 Max barrel. Fun cartridge, just don't expect 223 accuracy at 100yds.
Old July 16, 2015, 11:01 PM   #9
Clark

Quote:
Peter M. Eick
Yeah, you need to stock up on the yearly Remington Run.
I bought a lot a while back and folks scoffed at me but with now 5 maxes to feed, I am set.
Right now there is a brass shortage, and those who looked foolish when hoarding, now look wise.

I hoarded for the bargain hunting fun, not out of wisdom. I did not foresee that a shortage one type of brass would cause a shortage of another.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 17, 2015, 04:04 PM   #10
ammo.crafter

Max

Thanks again.