The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 31, 2019, 10:44 AM   #51
Onward Allusion

Definitely go with a 10/22 to complement your 60. You'll have 2 of the best selling 22LR's out there and for good reason.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:18 AM   #52
flashhole

idek - thanks for the link
Old June 18, 2019, 07:19 PM   #53
Picher

I've bought the following used .22 LR rifles:

Winchester 52C, heavy-barreled target rifle;
Winchester Model 60 bolt-action;
Anschutz 54 target rifle with BR Stock;
Remington 40XB target rifle with BR stock;
Ruger 10-22 Deluxe
Rem 540x HB

JP
Old June 19, 2019, 10:33 AM   #54
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
Currently own a 1985 Marlin 60. Looking for a second 22 rifle (plinking, range, squirrels, etc). Love the current Marlin and thinking of a new Marlin 60SB (stainless barrel). Primarily because I love the look and know what I’m getting.

However, not sure if I should pop for a known commodity or try some other brand/model. Does it seem rather odd to have two of nearly the same thing??

If not another Marlin, what to buy??
If nobody popped for some other brand/model, we'd all be shooting 1903 Springfield's in 30-06! My favorite 22 semi auto is the Marlin mod 60 hands down. But I have no use for a stainless rifle in any caliber! Really really ugly! Maybe a can of high temp black paint would help it!
Old June 19, 2019, 08:40 PM   #55
Rockhanger

Try a Henry lever action
You won't regret it
Old June 20, 2019, 04:35 AM   #56
PatientWolf

Congratulations. You are going to love that Henry. Levers are lots of fun.
Old June 20, 2019, 12:00 PM   #57
DaleA

Quote:
Winchester 52C, heavy-barreled target rifle;
Winchester Model 60 bolt-action;
Anschutz 54 target rifle with BR Stock;
Remington 40XB target rifle with BR stock;
Ruger 10-22 Deluxe
Rem 540x HB
Picher, it seems you like REALLY accurate .22's.

I'm a fan of all things Ruger but in that group I suspect the 10/22 comes in a distant last place. I sure wouldn't mind being proven wrong in this case though. What's been your experience with these?

P.S. I've mentioned this before but when I started shooting there was a Ford/Chevy like debate going on between the Winchester 52 and the Anschutz 54. Winchester seem to reign at Camp Perry and Anschutz at the Olympics.
Old June 20, 2019, 12:35 PM   #58
SIGSHR

One my most accurate 22s is an H&R Model 800 Lynx.
Old June 20, 2019, 07:12 PM   #59
Picher

I've developed some great mods to standard Ruger 10-22s that turn them into really great shooting rifles. I prefer the Deluxe stock without a barrel band.

Mods include trigger improvements, bolt-face alteration to minimize headspace, extractor mods, firing pin nose reshaping; cocking piece honing to minimize firing pin binding to eliminate first-shot flyers; bedding improvements, trigger stop installation.

Although the rifles shoot pretty well as they come from the factory, improvements make them nicer to shoot and more accurate. A replacement barrel is often recommended to add forward weight and more accuracy, should the factory barrel not allow close to 1 MOA accuracy at 50 yards, after other mods are done.

My B.I.L. had such a rifle. I did everything I could to make it a tack-driver, but it had a crappy factory barrel. After replacing it with an after-market one, it shot MOA! I should have bought that rifle instead of selling it for him when he was getting out of shooting.

BTW: I believe that my accurizing tips are still available on a RimfireCentral.com, despite being about 10 years old.
Old June 20, 2019, 07:35 PM   #60
Picher

I was heavily into Rimfire Benchrest for several years, including initiating and running the program at Capitol City R&P in Augusta, ME for several years.

Like other shooting venues I've been into, it was time to get out. I enjoyed buying used target rifles and making them shoot to their best. Finally, I bought the 40X built by Butch Hongisto and it won several matches. One day I shot two perfect scores and dropped only one point on the third (last)target and figured that was about the best I could do and was tired of the arguments and pettiness of some shooters. Fun was gone.

Now, I still like working on guns to improve their accuracy/function, but don't do it for profit.

BTW: My 10-22 has shot 10 consecutive 5-shot groups on a "Prove-It" target that averaged less than a half-inch at 50 yards. I can't seem to find the picture of that target and the website is down. If I find it, I'll post it.
Old June 20, 2019, 10:54 PM   #61
kenny53

22's I like to shoot and would recommend for a future buy.
10/22 I have two.
Marlin model 60, look in pawn shops you should be able to get one for under $100. I got three left, given some away.
Marlin 25N bolt action if you can find one. Tack driver.
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 22