The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 20, 2018, 09:36 PM   #101
SaxonPig

No photos yet?

PS: Somebody said the 41 isn't much more than the 357. Actually it is much closer to the 44 than it is to the 357. It is 15% less than the 44.
Old October 20, 2018, 09:55 PM   #102
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Actually it is much closer to the 44 than it is to the 357. It is 15% less than the 44.
That's correct. IMO, the fact that it ended up being a .44Mag -P instead of a true half-step between the .357 and 44 is part of the reason it never caught on. There might have been a real market for a middle-ground cartridge, but there wasn't any call for a cartridge that was essentially a light version of the .44Mag.
Old October 21, 2018, 06:50 AM   #103
Real Gun

Shot my 41 Special yesterday along side a 357 and 44 magnum with more or less comparable loadings for caliber and could easily think of it as the true middle ground between 357 and 44 magnums, considering the respective guns were not the same size. The 41 Special is in a very packable 3" GP100. I put on a glove after a couple of shots of 41 Special.
Old October 21, 2018, 09:13 AM   #104
azsixshooter

I traded a 4" 686 for a 5.5" Blackhawk Bisley in .41 Mag. For me, that was a great trade. I carry an SP101 in .357 Mag daily and I love that gun so much after working the trigger and adding a XS big dot tritium sight and hogue grips I hatdly ever shot the Smith anymore. I wanted something bigger for deer hunting and have always wanted a Blackhawk since I started shooting my uncle's old 3 screw .44 Mag. I tried for years to get anyone to trade me a .44 Mag BH straight-up for the 686 but never got any takers. When I saw the Bisley in .41 Mag I remembered an old cowboy friend of mine in AZ. He always carried a .41 and I valued his opinion a lot. He liked that the .41 shot flatter and kicked less than the .44 Mag and that he never needed more power than what the .41 delivered. And he was quick to point out that the .41 is a true .41 while the .44 is really .429. So what is a difference of .019"? Something like 3 or 4 human hairs? Not much. I knew ammo could be tough to find locally, but there is a lot of options available online and I handload so I wasn't too worried about that. So far I don't think the ammo is ridiculously priced at all. I got a box of Remington XTP 210 grain soft points with 788 ft/lbs of ME (more than either of Remingtons .44 Mag offerings in their XTP line) for about $45/50 rds. I shot a couple of cylinders of it and accuracy is superb, power level feels great. The gun I got has aftermarket Wolfe springs so the trigger is outstanding and I'm sure that contributes a lot of the accuracy as well. I just placed an order for a couple boxes of "bear loads" from Grizzly Cartridge company....265 gr hard cast lead wide flat nose slugs at 1153 ft/lbs of ME. Those were only $22/20 rds so for that kind of performance I don't see that as excessive.

In the end, if I was buying something new I would probably choose .44 Mag or maybe even .45 Colt. The more I learn about .45 Colt the more I think that might just be the best choice of all for me. My point is this though...I got a great gun that fits my needs perfectly and that I am very happy with because I wasn't afraid to go with the .41 Mag. It is a beautiful gun in awesome condition, looks like it was hardly ever shot at all. Locks up like a bank vault and not a scratch on it. Easy to shoot accurately, plenty of options for power levels, very packable (I even committed to buying a Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig for her) and popular with a lot of knowledgeable revolver experts, silouette shooters and wilderness-living folks. So I guess I can understand why many people would opt for the .44 Mag or, especially, the .45 Colt don't be afraid to get a .41 Mag if you come across a good one and if the chamberung picques your interest. So far she is a dandy for me, I can't wait to hit the deer woods with her next month!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old October 21, 2018, 09:26 AM   #105
agtman

Quote:
* * *The 41 Special is in a very packable 3" GP100. I put on a glove after a couple of shots of 41 Special.
Just a thought experiment:

Let's say Ruger offered a dedicated 3" GP-100 in .41 Special - say, with a fixed Novak rear sight and fiber optic front, like their TALO Edition 3" 10mm GP-100.

Would a .41 Special in that set up be preferable to a 3" Charter Arms 'Bulldog' in .44 Special?
Old October 21, 2018, 09:36 AM   #106
agtman

Quote:
Seems like one of the cartridges more difficult to source than 41 magnum is 10mm and certainly 10mm Magnum. Arguing ammo availability seems rather laughable.
'Difficult to source' 10mm AUTO ammo?

The magnum variant aside, I can go into any one of several LGS today, not to mention the regional Cabelas, and find a minimum of 5-6 different makes of factory 10mm AUTO, including Buffalo Bore, Sig, et al.

I'll maybe find one box of .41 Magnum, but some will have exactly none.

The Cabelas does have a few .41Mag loadings, but they have way more brands of 10mm in stock on the shelves.
Old October 21, 2018, 10:04 AM   #107
rclark

Quote:
Would a .41 Special in that set up (GP-100) be preferable to a 3" Charter Arms 'Bulldog' in .44 Special?
I have both in .44 Special. The nice size and weight of the Bulldog is so much nicer to carry than the GP-100. The .41 wouldn't make the GP-100 any smaller or weigh less. My thoughts anyway.
On the other hand, I don't feel bad about burning lots of ammo in the stout GP-100, where the Bulldog I just shoot one or two cylinder full and call it 'good' every few months for familiarization. It's not an everyday shooter.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 21, 2018, 10:26 AM   #108
rclark

Quote:
because I wasn't afraid to go with the .41 Mag.
I don't think the problem with getting a .41 Mag is being afraid of them. I am sure the .41 Mag is a dandy cartridge... But to a man who already has .357, .44 Special, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt revolvers.... What is the logical point of owning and investing in the .41? As you say .41 is close to .429 anyway. As a reloader, I have a wide range of options for these cartridges, so I have no 'need' for the .41 ... or the .44-40, or .32-20, etc. Now I really like the .45 Colt and .44 Special, so I concentrate on them. That's my preference ... but others may really like the .41 Mag. I don't see the controversy here. A deer is just as dead being hit with a .41 as a .44 or a.45, or an 30-30... And a hole is a hole in paper targets, or tin cans... All good
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 21, 2018, 12:37 PM   #109
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Just a thought experiment:

Let's say Ruger offered a dedicated 3" GP-100 in .41 Special - say, with a fixed Novak rear sight and fiber optic front, like their TALO Edition 3" 10mm GP-100.

Would a .41 Special in that set up be preferable to a 3" Charter Arms 'Bulldog' in .44 Special?
Me personally, no. Why would I bother with a .41 Special, as in not even a .41 Magnum, when Ruger already makes this gun in 10mm Auto? IDK what .41 Special's pressure levels are and what kind of power I can expect from such a gun.

With 10mm Auto in a revolver, I'm probably getting equal velocity to a .357 Magnum, but am shooting larger, heavier bullets.
Old October 21, 2018, 02:04 PM   #110
stagpanther

I've loaded both 10mm auto and 41 mag for years. If you're loading the 10 mm to full power--it's a dinky little case you're cramming volatile powder in. belling the mouth and seating the bullet is much more "delicate." I stretch those cases more often then the 41 cases--and I've also had them fail more often. 41 mag is closer to 44 mag in that it's more "comfortable" shooting powerful loads over and over.
Old October 21, 2018, 02:34 PM   #111
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Shot my 41 Special yesterday along side a 357 and 44 magnum with more or less comparable loadings for caliber and could easily think of it as the true middle ground between 357 and 44 magnums, considering the respective guns were not the same size.
What "41 Special" loading are you using?

I used the quotes because, as far as I can tell there's no SAAMI spec for a 41 Special cartridge so it can be pretty much anything the person/company loads it wants it to be within the safety limits imposed by the specific pistol in its converted form.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:19 PM   #112
Charlie98

Quote:
I'll admit that most of my thoughts on 10mm Magnum are theoretical. There are currently no production revolvers in the chambering, the only way to get a 10mm Mag revolver is to send a 10mm Auto revolver to a gunsmith and have them ream the chambers out.

I'm just saying if Ruger or S&W made a 10mm Mag revolver, I'd buy it over a .41 Mag. When I can shoot factory ammo in it for a quarter dollar a shot, even though it's weaker, it's more sensible to me given I have several guns chambered in .40 and would gladly reload the 10mm Mag for the extra power when it's needed.

The thread is about why people don't like .41 Mag as much as other options and I've given many reasons why I'd rather spend my money on something else.
Look, I'm not arguing about the validity of your idea... you axed me a question, I answered it. If I didn't own a .41 Magnum already and you posed that question to me, my answer might be different, I don't really know. As I say, I think the 10mm as an autoloading cartridge is fantastic... it's the firearms it's been chambered in previously that kind of gave it a black eye... the Colt Delta Elite, the ill-fated Bren Ten. It looks like it's making a resurgence... and I argue the .41 Magnum is, too. Why else would Henry chamber a new rifle in it, and why Ruger continues to crank them out? As far as reloading components... I was reloading for the .41 back in the late '80's when there really was a shortage of components and ammunition, not so much today. No, it doesn't command as much shelf space as 9mm or even .44MAG, but it's there in a lot of places, and I suggest to you that most folks that shoot the .41 do so with handloaded ammunition. In 30 years I can count the number of boxes of factory .41 ammo I've bought on one hand.

As far as taking the 10mm MAG seriously... no. You think .41MAG ammo is rare on your LGS' shelf? ...and you are talking about a round that is not even chambered in a current production firearm. Will the 10mm MAG evolve and come to fruition? Don't know, don't care. I will throw you a bone, though... the 10mm MAG will probably show up before my L-frame .41MAG will.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old October 21, 2018, 07:36 PM   #113
Charlie98

Quote:
But to a man who already has .357, .44 Special, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt revolvers.... What is the logical point of owning and investing in the .41?
My reverse logic is true... I own a .41... what do I need a .357, a .44SPC, or a .44MAG for?

And, for that matter... you find no logic in 'owning and investing in the .41' but you have 2 different .44's, a .45 Colt, and a .357?

I own a .44SPC... it does nothing that my medium .41MAG loads don't do already, except it comes in a very nice, handy pistol (a Ruger Flattop.) It is just about as handy as my .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero, give or take a few ounces.

Quote:

I used the quotes because, as far as I can tell there's no SAAMI spec for a 41 Special cartridge
I actually have the same criticism of the '.41SPC'... I know Starline makes brass for it, essentially reverse engineering it (-1/8" off the .41MAG case) but unless I've missed it, it is not produced in a production firearm. You can handload '.41SPC' cartridges, but what makes it a .41SPC and not just a light .41MAG load is the absence of definition.

Old October 21, 2018, 07:37 PM   #114
Real Gun

Quote:
I am using a magazine article on the cartridge, I believe by Brian Pearce.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:39 PM   #115
Charlie98

Since we are throwing pics out there... my model 57 and 58...

...and my favorite .41 combo... my Marlin 1894FG and Dan Wesson...

Old October 22, 2018, 06:56 AM   #116
rodfac

Charlie, what's that rear sight on your Marlin. Can't tell from the pic...a Lyman or Williams receiver by any chance?

I've use them a lot over the years, but have a Skinner on my 336 in .44 mag now, like it a lot, but it's a PITA to zero initially. Very slim too.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:07 AM   #117
Real Gun

Quote:
I actually have the same criticism of the '.41SPC'... I know Starline makes brass for it, essentially reverse engineering it (-1/8" off the .41MAG case) but unless I've missed it, it is not produced in a production firearm. You can handload '.41SPC' cartridges, but what makes it a .41SPC and not just a light .41MAG load is the absence of definition.
.41 Specials are conversion guns in smaller frames than used for "large" caliber magnums. Mine is by Clement Custom and done on a 3" GP100 with adjustable sights. It holds 6 rounds. It is intended for concealed carry, which for me is in colder weather, when wearing enough for better concealment and including suspenders.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:47 AM   #118
dahermit

I have owned, cast bullets for several .41 Magnums: Ruger 5" Blackhawk (three-screw), M57 S&W 8-3/8, S&W M58, and a six inch M657.

One "advantage" I found relative to hand loading the .41 Magnum was that the size of the casing seemed just right to manipulate into the loading press whereas .38/.357 seem too small to get a good grip and the .44/.45 ACP/.44 Magnum cases seemed slightly too large in diameter for my small hands to get a comfortable and speedy grip. That may seem trivial to some, but the size of case allowed me to process it through the handloading process at faster rate than other cartridges. Some are going to discount that concept, and say that handloading speed is not important, but I am one that would rather be shooting than handloading.
Old October 22, 2018, 08:46 AM   #119
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Seems like one of the cartridges more difficult to source than 41 magnum is 10mm and certainly 10mm Magnum. Arguing ammo availability seems rather laughable."

I'm not sure where you live, but it doesn't come anywhere close to matching my experience. When I had a 10mm (EAA Witness) I had no problems finding multiple flavors of ammo.

Finding ammo for my .41 Mag? I'd be lucky to find one or two boxes of Remington or PMC; most often I'd find zero boxes.

Even at the big gun shows in the area it was always a chore to find .41 Mag. ammo.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 22, 2018, 08:50 AM   #120
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I don't think the problem with getting a .41 Mag is being afraid of them. I am sure the .41 Mag is a dandy cartridge... But to a man who already has .357, .44 Special, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt revolvers.... What is the logical point of owning and investing in the .41? As you say .41 is close to .429 anyway. As a reloader, I have a wide range of options for these cartridges, so I have no 'need' for the .41 ... or the .44-40, or .32-20, etc. Now I really like the .45 Colt and .44 Special, so I concentrate on them. That's my preference ... but others may really like the .41 Mag."

Well, first off, to have is FAR better than to have not.

I love my .41 Mag. I have multiple .357s, a .44 Special, and a .45 Colt. I don't have a .44 Magnum as I have absolutely zero interest in the .44 Magnum.

If I were to come across an S&W Model 29 at a good price, I wouldn't pass it up, but I'm not on the hunt for one.

All of the above noted revolvers ARE Smith & Wessons. I've got a serious liking for S&W (2 of the .357s are earlier Charter Arms).

Oh, and I've also got two .32-20s, a Smith and a Colt.

As I said, to have is far better than to have not.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 22, 2018, 09:41 AM   #121
Charlie98

Quote:
Charlie, what's that rear sight on your Marlin. Can't tell from the pic...a Lyman or Williams receiver by any chance?

I've use them a lot over the years, but have a Skinner on my 336 in .44 mag now, like it a lot, but it's a PITA to zero initially. Very slim too.
It's a Williams... all my lever guns wear them, and I'm working on my .22's right now...

I bought a 336 that came with a Skinner, I swapped it out for a Williams... I needed the elevation adjustment to shoot out to 600yds. I could see where the Skinner would be a good peeper for hunting, but that's not what I do. I was hitting steel at 600yds with the .41... I had the Williams just about out of the stops to do it, though. For that matter, I was hitting 500yd steel with the same load out of the 4" 57!

Old October 23, 2018, 01:05 AM   #122
rclark

Quote:
Well, first off, to have is FAR better than to have not .
I understand that mentality .. but, well, obviously, I see it a bit differently now. Shooting my tuned big bore .44 Special and .45 Colt revolvers coupled with the .22LR will keep me busy for the rest of my life. I've found my 'niche' and really enjoy this corner of the shooting world... I don't see owning something I probably will hardly ever shoot. I've never been into safe queens. Then their is always some black powder revolver shooting to be done with ROAs and reproductions .

Quote:
And, for that matter... you find no logic in 'owning and investing in the .41' but you have 2 different .44's, a .45 Colt, and a .357?
Quite a quandary huh . See I started with a .357 BH as a teen (my uncle had one and he though it da best EVER, so of course I had to have one when I was old enough!). Carried everywhere in the woods... Then picked two .44Mags in my 20s (the testosterone thing I guess). Later in life I found the .45 Colt with an original Vaquero purchase... Sold a SRH .44Mag to finance it. Yep, found the cartridge I was looking for all those years. Felt right, shot right, plus all the romance/history/experience behind it ... like coming home... Finally when Ruger offered the .44 Special on the medium frame, that was another ah ha moment (Yes, Taffin, Keith, Skeeter, Pearce, Wilson, and others had some influence here). So yes, investing in the .41 just doesn't fit in the picture... for my use -- that is. Maybe I shouldn't have said 'logic', just didn't and don't have a need for it through my life's experience.
Old October 23, 2018, 09:16 AM   #123
Charlie98

I don't consider buying a firearm an 'investment...' mostly because it winds up costing me MORE money...

Truth being stranger than fiction... my introduction to the .41 was much like yours... my brother bought a 6" .41 from a friend, and that was the first pistol I ever fired, a love affair that continues to this day. Is it rational? No, not really, with the exception that it has basically kept me away from the .44MAG and, finally, the .357. Like you, I bought a .45 Vaquero, mostly to match with the Winchester Trapper in .45 Colt that I bought my brother for his birthday one year, but I have pretty much given that to him, too... and the .41 remains the only centerfire revolver chambering in the safe.

EDIT: I'm wrong... I have that dastardly .44SPC Flattop in there, too. Very enthused about the .44SPC cartridge when I bought it, it's lost it's luster pretty quickly. Part of that is the pistol itself... typical Ruger with crazy cylinder throats and a barrel bulge. If I ever get it sorted out it might have a permanent home... or not.

Old October 26, 2018, 07:14 PM   #124
E.J.W.

I have a 657 Classic Hunter. Came about it at an estate sale 26 years ago. It was there with a Colt Anaconda that I was admiring, but I was told the Colt had a deposit on it. So I handled the 657 some and liked the way it felt. I gave $250 for it and never looked back. I have killed many a whitetail with it using strictly handloads. I'd like to find a 41 Marlin to compliment it some day.
Old October 28, 2018, 11:41 AM   #125
223 shooter

I reload my 357s and 44s usually with JHP bullets from Hornady and Sierra and the availability of 41 cal. bullets is pretty limited , at least at Midway where I usually order components. A few choices at 170 and 210 grains.

With the 44 I have the lighter weight bullets - 180, 200 , and 210 available which covers the 41 weight range along with 220 , 240, 250, 265 and 300 grain bullets. The 629 shoots them all well and I never really had an desire to acquire a 41.