The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 27, 2001, 04:23 AM   #1
jmstr

Marlin Model 39A maintenance?

Hello,

I just bought a used model 39a [.22lr lever action] this weekend and have a maintenance question for anyone who can help. When I clean and lube the rifle, what should I use in the action? I ask because I am used to bolt action rifles and semi-auto pistols. Also, the Marlin currently has grease of some sort on the connection surfaces of the action inside [I looked], so I am guessing I should use a grease on these areas and not solely oil. But, what type of grease should I use and how often [number of rounds vs time] should I break it apart to clean out the action? I have requested an owners manual from Marlin, but the request has to be in writing and it is being mailed tomorrow. I will probably get the manual in about October. I would like to clean and lube the rifle up before then.

Also, should I use the same standards to clean the bore as I do with my pistols and Mauser? In other words, after each time I shoot it? I ask because someone once said that a .22 shouldn't have the barrel cleaned too often, as cleaning it is more likely to damage the barrel than leaving it dirty. This goes against everything I have ever been taught, so I thought I would ask before I followed that suggestion. Thanks!

jason
Old August 27, 2001, 07:12 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

jmstr, Tetra products work well. But a light coat of gun oil will work also. Yes, use the same standards for cleaning this rifle's bore. The only damage might come from using a cleaning rod and entering through the muzzle. You can buy muzzle protectors or you can clean it as you should by removing the bolt and cleaning from the breach end. George
Old August 27, 2001, 07:49 AM   #3
FPrice

Congratulations on a fine purchase! I bought a Model 39A in 1971 and have had it ever since. It is a fun rifle to shoot.

I always try to clean my firearms after I use them. At least run an oiled bore patch down the bore and clean off any visible debris and residue. I cannot imagine a careful cleaning harming any firearm unless you use strong abrasive cleaners or harsh methods. I have gone to using the Dewey cleaning rods which are rubber coated. For my rifles I think it helps. I have also used Breakfree CLP for years, but any reputable lubricant and cleaner should do the same.

On the 39A, I break it down in two pieces using the big takedown screw on the right side of the receiver. Putting it back together can be a bit tricky, you have to swing the lever handle forward a bit and try to manuever the bolt into place. Just practise a bit and you should get it.

Also, the ejector is mounted on the inside left receiver wall. I always used to catch it with the cleaning rod until I wised up and took it out for cleaning. A screw holds the pieces in place, just take it apart carefully and study how the parts fit into one another and you will be able to put it back properly.

If you have any specific questions I will pull mine out of the safe and try to answer them.

Good luck and good shooting!

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old August 27, 2001, 08:34 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

FPrice:
If you look at the front of the ejector "Box" inside the receiver, you'll notice what looks like an odd-shaped screw. This is the ejector lock rivet. Hold the ejector down with a punch, and give the rivet a half turn, and it will lock the ejector down out of the way for cleaning. when through, just turn it back, and the ejector will pop up.
Old August 28, 2001, 07:05 AM   #5
FPrice

Dfariswheel...

I never noticed that. Thanks, I'll take a look.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai