The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
oojamison

Help with my reloading my .45

I've got a Glock 36 and loaded nosler 185grain JHP, accurate #7 powder, remington 2 1/2 caps. I started with the starting load of 10.8 grains and a month ago it blew up in my hand (case failer). Recoil was off the charts. Long story short, it's fixed. I took new brass, same everything as above and loaded 5 rounds today, payed close attention to everything. I've loaded a bunch of .223's and never a problem. Fired first 4 rounds and shot great, the last one had a big bulge in the bottom back of the case. The recoil was off the charts again, but that God it held together. I use lee reloading dies with a seating die. I don't have a factory crimp die. I seat the bullets at max length of 1.275.

Any help would be great.
Old August 26, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2
The_Shadow

You may want to verify your scale's accuracy!
Try checking with another scale or check weights!~

My books say that load is within proper limits so either the charge weight is wrong because of the scale is off or the powder is not correct! I have read that the G36 factory barrel has poor case support. But the 45ACP is a lower pressure round!

Another thing to check is the recoil spring rate and slide to barrel lock up! Is the load exceeding the lock up of your gun?
Old August 26, 2012, 06:37 PM   #3
carprivershooter

sit back

possible it could be the bullet is getting pushed deeper into the case causing higher pressure. All my semi autos get a factory crimp. Just a thought. Check and insure weight and case voulme are correct.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4
oojamison

Thanks guys. I've checked the weight with other scales. It's the same. But I plan on getting a FCD pretty soon. Thanks again
Old August 27, 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Clifford L. Hughes

OOJANESON:

Have you set up a procedure where you check the powder height in in every case that you charge? I use a flash light or a length of a dowel to check for over charges. Your problem sounds like double charged cases.

Semper Fl.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old August 27, 2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Hammerhead

I highly recommend making dummy rounds for autos. Make up at least 3 rounds with no powder or primer. Load them in the magazine and slingshot the slide so that they are subject to the same feed cycle that they would be when you fire. The bullets should not be pushed more than .005" or so into the case after three times through the gun.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:34 PM   #7
oojamison

I did that, and they all a getting pushed in more that that. I did 5 and 5 different measurements. So thanks, think that's my problem.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:37 PM   #8
oojamison

I've loaded with checking 2 different scales and every case, they are all the same. I trimmed, deburred, did everything to make it right.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:54 AM   #9
pilpens

Glocks have unsupported (or partially supported) chambers.
A bulge on the lower end of the case with hot loads may be expected but probably not safe.
I strongly recommend lowering the chamber pressure by reducing powder, lowering bullet weight, and/or reducing seating depth.

check crimp, maybe be too tight ---
Old August 29, 2012, 12:40 PM   #10
chris in va

Might want to switch powders. 10gr of anything will nearly fill a 45 case, so any setback might increase pressures. I use PB or Universal which only takes about 5gr to send it downrange.

I also highly recommend the use of homemade dippers so every charge is consistent. Once you find a good charge load just make one out of a spent shell case.

BTW the forum has a 'reloading' section this belongs in.

Tags
.45 acp , glock 36