The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 24, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Sea Buck

Deer Decoys

Recently talking to some hunting buddies on line and we are going to try deer decoys this year just for some more fun. Any one have success with deer decoys, bucks or does? How about "Shadow Deer" decoys?
Old July 24, 2011, 02:33 PM   #2
C0untZer0

I thought those things were just lawn ornaments.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:50 PM   #3
g.willikers

Get the archery 3D version, made from hard foam.
If it doesn't work out for deer hunting, it's great for archery practice.
If you get bored with that, it will make a perfect Christmas season Rudolph, for the holiday lawn display.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:59 PM   #4
oneounceload

Make sure they are legal to use during hunting season - on many areas, they are not
Old July 24, 2011, 03:27 PM   #5
chack

Game and fish has had alot of success with them catching poachers.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Hog Buster

Down here us coonasses (cajuns) use a special decoy for deer. it’s called a bucket of corn.
Old July 25, 2011, 10:52 AM   #7
m17s_guy

Quote:
Game and fish has had a lot of success with them catching poachers.
Had a friend who set up decoys on some semi=private land. (Privately owned but the guy let anyone with a truck hunt it) He got about one season out of that decoy. It was shot so full of holes from people who saw antlers and started blasting away that it wasn't even funny.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:03 PM   #8
FrontSight

I used does on an archery hunt on a trail I knew a mature doe and her young adult doe offsrping used...it spooked them at first, they circled around & came back from the other direction in about 5 mins & were very interested...
Old July 25, 2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Wild Bill Bucks

I have used them before, and the problem with them is that you have to put them up in the morning and take them down at the end of the day. This makes you have to walk into your hunting area, leaving your scent as you go.
The other problem I had, was does coming in and knocking it over. This kept me having to go out and stand it up all day.

As far as bringing deer in, it will get their attention, and bring them in to investigate, but when they come to it, the does seem to want to kick or push on it, so if you don't intend to shoot them, it causes more trouble than it is worth.
I never had a buck come in close to one, but it does make them stop and look for a minute, if they cruise through the area you are hunting. Problems I had were mainly with the does.
Old July 25, 2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Maxem0815

Last time I saw a Deer Decoy it had a game warden attached to it. Some how it looked like entrapment, if someone is dumb enough to take a shot.
Mace
Old July 25, 2011, 05:00 PM   #11
bullethole1

Shooting deer off the road is not worth it.You go to jail,you will never drive your vehicle again because it will be seized along with your gun.Yes I agree that the deer decoys that the game wardens use is considered entrapment in my opinion and the case could be easily dismissed in court with a good lawyer.Just like speed tramps UNFAIR!!!
Old July 26, 2011, 12:04 AM   #12
C0untZer0

I've fallen prey to beer decoys on more than one occasion.
Old July 26, 2011, 12:13 AM   #13
chatman_55

Just make sure none of your friends that are not hunting with you know where you are at. I know a game and wild life guy that had one setup to catch guys shooting from roads who for some reason mentioned to one of out buddys that they were doing it in the area, which then meant our buddy had to sneak out there, run at the decoy screaming his lungs out with a giant knife to tackle and kill said decoy. In front of the game guy and one of his newer people.
Old July 26, 2011, 01:43 AM   #14
trymorne

haha

i think i want to move over there you yanks have all sorts of cheeky toys
Old July 29, 2011, 09:23 PM   #15
Prof Young

Fawn Decoy

Biggest deer I've ever seen in shooting range came to a fawn in distress call and a fawn decoy . . . when I was coyote hunting. Course it was not deer season and I didn't have a tag and I didn't shoot. Tried it a couple times during season with a tag and they came, but not into range.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 31, 2011, 04:18 AM   #16
bamaranger

rutting bucks

I have seen cruising ruttng bucks note and move good distances to investigate LIVE deer/does in the open and have often been tempted to use a deer deke to up the odds, but never have.