The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Marlin 882 - Firing pin problem

A friend of mine recently bought a used Marlin 882, bolt action .22 WMR. He's experienced a series of misfires that appear to be from a light firing pin strike.

Through a little experimentation, we noticed something strange. If he closes the bolt easily, it misfires almost every time. But if he slams the bolt down, it fires every time .

The firing pin appears free-floating and the assembly is cocked the same as most bolt actions, by a cam that pulls back and locks the mainspring upon lowering the bolt handle (forgive my blundering through the description here guys; it's obvious I'm not a gunsmith ). The mainspring seems strong and the firing pin channel is clean and well oiled.

Any ideas?

(By the way, we checked Marliln's website and neither the owner's manual nor an exploded view is available.)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 29, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Bump. Anyone?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 29, 2010, 01:25 PM   #3
CowTowner

I can help you by linking to an exploded view:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=4096

Hope that provides some assistance
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 30, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Cow Towner. That will definitely help, and was more than I was able to find.

Now to find the source of the problem, and the fix.

--Capt. Charlie