The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 4, 2002, 02:59 PM   #1
bjdealer

Raging Bull disassembly

Harley,
Embarrasly simple question:
I have a 6 month old Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag stainless.
and having a "bear" of a time cleaning around the cylinder, frame, and extractor rod.

Does the extractor unscrew from the extractor rod or are they permanently attached to each other? I have not yet taken a pair of plyers to the rod.
Thanx
Old January 4, 2002, 05:41 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, bjdealer,

First off, removal of the extractor rod and extractor is not a part of normal cleaning. You should be able to clean adequately by using a good spray gun cleaner like G96 Gun Treatment. It should be sufficient for your purpose to just remove the crane and clean it and around the cylinder.

To remove the crane (Taurus calls it the "yoke") remove the front sideplate screw, being careful not to lose the yoke retaining plunger and spring underneath it, and note how they go in. Open the cylinder and holding the cylinder and yoke, pull the yoke forward out of the frame. Be careful not to lose the cylinder stop spring and plunger in the bottom part of the yoke. Again, note how they go in.

Slide the yoke forward off the cylinder. This should be sufficient takedown for cleaning.

Using a good cleaner, spray the inside of the cylinder center hole and drain. Clean the hole in the yoke and the hole in the frame with a Q-Tip or something similar. Oil both parts of the yoke and the extractor rod lightly and reassemble.

Jim
Old January 5, 2002, 04:55 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Cleaning:

I think Jim covered it quite well. I don't have a disassem for this piece, but it is quite simple the way Jim explained it.

HJN
Old January 5, 2002, 11:48 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Email me your snail mail addy and I can send you instructions.
Old January 5, 2002, 02:30 PM   #5
bjdealer

JIM,
Thanx. none of that was explained in any of the material I got from the dealer and/or Taurus.

Ihave an older Dan Wesson and the crane comes off when the barrel and shroud are removed and its an easy task to dissassemble the extractor and rod.

Thought the R.B would be that easy.

Thanx again.