The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2015, 09:37 AM   #1
sevt_chevelle

Oversized barrels and plated bullets

I've got a Browning High Power 9mm with a barrel that I slugged twice which has a bore size of .358. At this point I've shot nothing but factory ammo through this gun, seems to group alright.

Would like to start shooting some reloads, I don't cast so any lead bullet would have to be commercial and I doubt finding a .359 sized 9mm projectile would be easy let alone fit in the barrel. I've thought about trying some of the coated bullets, but still it would be undersized.

So my question is, how about plated bullets for my high power? Do plated bullets have a better tolerance of barrel size then lead bullets? Or am I just stuck with factory ammo or buying FMJs to reload?

Am wanting on Bar-sto to reapply back on when they will be making new High Power barrels.

Thanks
Old August 26, 2015, 10:29 AM   #2
F. Guffey

Quote:
Am wanting on Bar-sto
You are waiting on a bar stool? To me? It seems now would be a perfect time for a reloader to re-think bump. For most their whole world evolves/turns around bump. All have the .002" shoulder bump down to an exact science, not me. But if I had a problem with loose bullets in a pistol I would start working on a way to bump small diameter bullets up to a larger diameter.

think about it, I am setting at a red light, without warning a vehicle behind me does not stop, it collides with my vehicle. The collision shortens my vehicle, not only does the bump shorten my vehicle it widens my vehicle, bullets? Same thing.

F. Guffey
Old August 26, 2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Nick_C_S

This tends to be an ongoing issue with 9mm's. People smarter than me on the subject may chime in and supercede my post here; but this is my experience:

I have two 9mm's and although I've never slugged the bores, I suspect they are large too. (Kahr CW9; Beretta 92fs)

When I load lead bullets (all .356), they fly everywhere, pretty much. I've had decent luck with lead 147's though. When I load jacketed or plated, they shoot straight. And the jacketed/plated bullets are .355, so go figure.

I wish I had more data, but I don't shoot 9mm much (ironically, I'm about to go take my 9mm carry piece - the Kahr - to the range here in just a few minutes.).

These are my next 9mm bullet purchase; and maybe you should consider them as well. They are both plated and .357 diameter. http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-147...47rn-b0250.htm
Old August 26, 2015, 02:36 PM   #4
sevt_chevelle

Quote:
You are waiting on a bar stool? To me? It seems now would be a perfect time for a reloader to re-think bump. For most their whole world evolves/turns around bump. All have the .002" shoulder bump down to an exact science, not me. But if I had a problem with loose bullets in a pistol I would start working on a way to bump small diameter bullets up to a larger diameter.

think about it, I am setting at a red light, without warning a vehicle behind me does not stop, it collides with my vehicle. The collision shortens my vehicle, not only does the bump shorten my vehicle it widens my vehicle, bullets? Same thing.
Am waiting on Bar-sto because their barrels are .355-.356 which would solve problems IMO.

So would YOU go about bumping up some lead bullets?
Old August 27, 2015, 09:02 AM   #5
max it

.356 or .357 dia bullets

Nick, I just found that xtremes 9mm x 147gn comes in both .356 and .357" diameter.
as usual I found out the hard way.
so I will use up the .357's in my two .357 mag revolvers and use the .356 in semi auto 9mm.
I have not actually noticed a diff but will check better now.
Old August 27, 2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I just found that xtremes 9mm x 147gn comes in both .356 and .357" diameter.
X-treme has both .356 & .357 in both lead and plated. I just bought the lead .357's for my 9mm's. Should shoot nice n straight, and probably with less leading.
Old August 27, 2015, 09:09 AM   #7
solvability

You can shoot .357 bullets just fine in your 9mm - they will be swaged a bit when you seat them and again if you use a FCD - you may get better accuracy than with .355 or .356.
Old August 27, 2015, 10:52 PM   #8
WVMountaineer

If your bore is that big, bump as stated until you get a barrel in .356 size. It won't take much. God Bless
Old August 27, 2015, 11:35 PM   #9
tangolima

Some caster sell 0.359" cast bullets for 38spl. You can try those if you want to use cast bullets.

The idea of bumping up bullet diameter is interesting. Exactly how is it done? Thanks in advance.

-TL
Old August 27, 2015, 11:51 PM   #10
skizzums

you are a reloader, the world is your oyster, you can buy whatever 358 lead bullet you want and size it down with a 10$ sizing die to whatever diameter you want. you have slugged this bore twice, and are confident in the fact it has a .358 bore, right? if so, then if you don't wanna shoot lead, then shoot jacketed .357's. the sell many .357 diameter jacketed round nose bullets that will load just fine into a 9mm case, I do it all the time. if your bore is truly a .358, I would buy .358 plated bullets, that way even if it's .357 and some change you can be sure your safe because they are soft and swage down to your bore size much better than a true jacket. if your cool with lead, then buy a coated lead bullet that won't give you fits with leading if your sizing isn't dead on, I would buy .358's and a .357 sizing die to start, if not exceeding your expectations then just roll with the .358's as is.

my favorite reload for my CZ is a 358-125 sized down to .357.

I understand your concern. I have recently slugged my old mosin a couple times and keep coming up with .3095 or .310. I have run .3095, .310 and .311 so far w/o issue, I just recently acquired some .312's which make me a little nervous, but I am just going to start 10% below min and keep close eye on the pressure signs and more importantly make sure I have 100% knowledge of where my shot hit, or I will keep checking the barrel.

I have one pistol that doesn't prefer a .357 bullet. I still just buy .357's and have a handy .356 sizing die, works on jacketed as well if only sizing down a thousandth
Old August 28, 2015, 05:28 AM   #11
Mobuck

First off, the max bullet diameter may be limited by the chamber size. Secondly, the plated bullets are quite soft and may "bump up" during firing to fit the bore.
Old August 28, 2015, 08:25 AM   #12
NoSecondBest

I've shot a lot of .357 bullets in my 9mm barreled guns (38Super, 9x21, 9x23) with no problems and they shot very well. If you reload, try some and see how they shoot.