The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 25, 2001, 06:26 AM   #1
Jim V

NY State Marked 1911A1

A friend sent me a photograph of a commercial pre-war 1911A1 ("C suffix serial number, bright blue, wide spur hammer and no lanyard loop, etc.) that is marked on the right side of the slide "PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK". He thought that it was a National Guard pistol but those would not have been commercial pistols and would have been marked US Property. I suggested that it could have been a State Guard / Militia pistol. Any ideas?
Old December 26, 2001, 02:31 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Other Jim,

According to Clawson (Colt .45 Government Models), those pistols (250) were shipped to the New York State Arsenal in Brooklyn on Dec. 16, 1950. Serial numbers were in the range 246799-C thru 247464-C. The pistols were supposedly bought by NY to replace National Guard pistols which were recalled by the Army during the Korean War.

If your friend has one of these, it would be a nice collector's item, though I hesitate to provide a value. You might check with the M1911/A1 forum at www.gunandknife.com and see if anyone can provide more info. The condition of the pistol is very important.

Jim
Old December 26, 2001, 07:57 AM   #3
Jim V

Thanks Other Jim Two,

I've forwarded the picture to you. It is a pre-war production pistol, perhaps one that was still at Colt when they filled the contract?