The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 28, 2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Glimpse Into the Future of Appeasement

I noticed that California and New York, two states who already have draconian gun laws, are proposing even more gun laws in response to a shooting that didn’t take place in their state involving a weapon both states already ban.

Apparently, the past gun control laws are still not restrictive enough to satisfy the mob there. I’m sure this next round will be the end of the impositions though. I mean otherwise you might start getting the idea this was less about “common-sense gun control” and more about punishing people for holding different beliefs from the majority.
Old February 28, 2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Lohman446

The problem is "common sense gun control" also uses the goal of "not ONE more" Even very near total bans and confiscation such as Australia have failed to meet this goal.
Old February 28, 2018, 02:32 PM   #3
croberts

Quote:
involving a weapon both states already ban
I'm assuming you are talking about an AR-15. I don't know much about those states laws, but aren't they legal in California if you have a 10 round mag, and a rifle stock instead of the pistol grip?
Old February 28, 2018, 02:55 PM   #4
SIGSHR

Neither state has the RKBA in their state constitutions.
Old February 28, 2018, 03:05 PM   #5
5whiskey

Quote:
I'm assuming you are talking about an AR-15. I don't know much about those states laws, but aren't they legal in California if you have a 10 round mag, and a rifle stock instead of the pistol grip?
Not exactly. You can have an AR in appearance only in CA. No detachable magazines with "Assault Rifle" features... although there are some workarounds (formerly the bullet button, now the patriot mag release). And yes a pistol grip is a feature that makes it an "assault rifle." Of course there are also the "pistol grip elimenator" stocks that can be had but are butt ugly on ARs...

So honestly, like it or not, CA and New York effectively bans AR15s as originally designed and as preferred to be carried.
Old February 28, 2018, 08:10 PM   #6
HiBC

Appeasement??
I enjoyed the movie "Darkest Hour" recently. While the movie certainly did not flatter Winston Churchill very much,it did portray the appeasers (Halifax and Chamberlain) vs " We will Never Surrender" Winston Churchill.

Interesting movie.
Old March 1, 2018, 02:34 AM   #7
62coltnavy

California recently proposed 10 new gun laws, some of which are duplicative of federal law such as the lifetime ban for misdemeanor domestic violence, and others retreads such as a complete semiautomatic rifle (and possibly pistol) ban that was proposed last year but did not make it out of committee. One bill will require that the rifles not required to be registered under the law that went into effect this year (i.e. featureless rifles) will have to be registered under the proposed law as "assault weapons." Once a firearm is registered as an "assault weapon," it cannot be transferred to anyone else by any means within the state, and can only be transported unloaded and in a locked container between the home and the range. It will also prohibit the sale of any new semiauto rifles. To make the intent clear, a companion bill will prohibit the importation or sale of critical parts (I don't know which ones; I assume that this will include 80% lowers, though whether it will also include uppers and fire control group parts I don't know at this point.)
Old March 14, 2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Gary L. Griffiths

Of course, FL just passed the age restrictions on firearms purchases, and the leftists are already stating that this is only the first step in making their state safe! Where's the barf smiley when you really need it?
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old March 14, 2018, 02:26 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Since the FL laws were passed with the cooperation of 'conservatives', isn't it time that the 'leftist' line be seen as functionally useless. The Good ol' leftists of GWB, Romney and Bob Dole (for instance) were all for the AWB. Leftist Senator Rubio - remember him.

So here's a hint, you get nowhere with this rhetoric. It's fun for the choir but useless. Discuss progun and antigun folk.

I don't see anything more useful in this.

Closed.