The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 18, 2018, 09:37 AM   #1
TXAZ

Not certified but crazy veiled threats wants a gun

There have been several discussions here regarding "crazy" people having / wanting a firearm, such as:
"It begins. Florida man has guns taken"

So what can someone do where a person has made veiled threats (using "if (X-happens)..... then I might feel like taking matters into my own hand and (do something...."). Apparently using the word "if" makes it technically not a threat. And a fair number of bad actors have made veiled threats prior to mass events.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 18, 2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Onward Allusion

The longer I live, the more our country becomes the dystopian world in Orwell's 1984. It's just a few decades late.

Case in point? This 3/17/18 article about some guy who "purchased firearms ammunition, camping gear, drill bits, hacksaw blades, knives and more items from Walmart using a gift card."

Weapons Cache Found In Ithaca, N.Y., After Tip From Walmart Employee
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...lmart-employee

I'm sure there will be those here who would argue that "yeah, but he was a prohibited person...". That ain't the point.

Say, post, comment, or even buy the wrong thing and they will come to your home. Try to cover something up as they are questioning you - get taken away.

Last edited by Onward Allusion; March 18, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old March 18, 2018, 12:07 PM   #3
rickyrick

It’s very hard to get anyone in any official capacity to look into the mental health of a person. I tried, I had a crazy person threatening me for years. Basically I was told that not much they could do with a person unless they volunteer themselves.

The psychology or whatever the treatment of mental illness is called had abused millions of people. Many people were in asylums for no good reason, they were drugged, tortured and abused. Peoples lives were taken, minds permanently destroyed, rights forever revoked.
Finally those days ended.

Looks like we are going back to those days.
Old March 18, 2018, 03:11 PM   #4
TDL

The ACLU has successfully fought to push back ability to adjudicate for mandatory treatment for decades now.

It has gotten to the point where the American Psychiatric Association, which has opposed a lot of the ACLU pushback, has noted the US has one of the lowest levels of adjudicated mentally ill in the wealthy developed democracies.

If you look back to the 1970's there have been a dozen major cases that pushed back state authorities' ability to commit.

Last edited by TDL; March 18, 2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old March 18, 2018, 03:51 PM   #5
Minorcan

Document by complaints then try to get a Peace Bond. If they come on your property document with a Trespass complaint.If they make phone calls record them, if they send e-mails save them.
Old March 18, 2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Danoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
Document by complaints then try to get a Peace Bond. If they come on your property document with a Trespass complaint.If they make phone calls record them, if they send e-mails save them.
Minorcan is right. Established documentation of incidents indicating mental illness need to
be recorded, in order to get any action by the authorities.
Old March 18, 2018, 05:34 PM   #7
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
It’s very hard to get anyone in any official capacity to look into the mental health of a person. I tried, I had a crazy person threatening me for years.
Isn't threatening to kill someone, for example, a crime or does that only work if its against the President?
Old March 18, 2018, 06:14 PM   #8
rickyrick

In my case the person actually ended up assaulting me, was arrested after the police officers got one look at me, only to have the charges dropped a few months later.

The arrest did finally stop the person from messing with me after that, I ended up leaving the state to get some peace of mind.
Old March 18, 2018, 06:24 PM   #9
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATN082268 View Post
Isn't threatening to kill someone, for example, a crime or does that only work if its against the President?
I was told by law enforcement that the word “IF” generally makes it not technically a threat.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 18, 2018, 09:09 PM   #10
In The Ten Ring

I've gone the legal route when it comes to threats. I've had decent luck with that. I understand a restraining order is "just a piece of paper" because it is, but it shows the victim did what they could within the law.

I took out a restraining order against a relative that is known for her bad behavior. It was a good move and went a long way to making her calm down. She's been a much better relative since although she never apologized and I will never fully trust her.

Once, a former friend made a threat towards me on Facebook. That was shocking as I had taken that guy to and from work several times in bad weather when he couldn't get a ride. I posted below his threat, "I'm about 30 minutes from home but as soon as I get there, I will print this page, and speak with state police. Threats are a felony in this state. I'll be sure to tell them about how you brag about using and selling drugs. I am on my way home now."

I made it home in 20 minutes, fired up the computer and printer, but strangely, the whole thread on his page was gone. LOL

I sent him a message congratulating his smart move and I wished him well. I then deleted and blocked him. I haven't heard from him since. I no longer use Facebook.

*I think in his case he was trying to look tough to the other morons on his page. I suspect that is a big reason why people of his caliber become Keyboard Warriors....they don't know how to express themselves in an educated manner and want to save face in the "public world of social media."

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; March 18, 2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old March 18, 2018, 10:18 PM   #11
rickyrick

Some mentally ill people are very cunning. My person in question was extremely intelligent. This person could be very convincing and charming.

My personal belief is that while we all agree that certain mentally ill people shouldn’t have guns, I don’t see how restrictions based on mental health could ever be fairly exercised.
Old March 18, 2018, 10:25 PM   #12
Mike38

Quote:
I can't speak for other states, but can on what happened to me here in Illinois, circa 1990. A goofy brother-in-law of mine physically abused my sister one too many times and she called and asked for help moving her out. During the move the BIL threatened to kill me, had a .22 rifle in his hand when he made the threat. Witnessed by 5 other people. After the move, I went to the county sheriff's office to report it. I was told that threats like this, even while holding a firearm, were not against the law. The deputy rambled on about not pointing the gun at me, not knowing if it was even loaded, I was on his property, etc. So in Illinois, around 30 years ago, threats of murder wasn't a crime. Or maybe I got ahold of a lazy cop?
Old March 18, 2018, 11:46 PM   #13
riffraff

Oh it's a crime, in NH can be a felony and I assume other states are similar. Threatening to kill someone is very serious. Of course probably hard to prove that such an event occurred and that the intent was serious as well.

As far as the odd shopping list - not sure if it's ever happened to you guys but I've looked down at the completely unrelated stuff I'm checking out with and thought "hmmmm this might not look too good"
Old March 19, 2018, 05:30 AM   #14
Hal

Quote:
If they make phone calls record them, if they send e-mails save them.
Don't record them if you're in one of these states:
California
Connecticut
Florida
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington (not D.C.)

These states require all parties give permission. Federal law only says one party as do the other states not mentioned.

Even then though, things can get weird in a hurry.

https://lifehacker.com/what-you-need...ies-1795226719
Old March 19, 2018, 07:23 AM   #15
Lohman446

While I am heavily concerned about this new movement of vague statements creating a prohibited person and resulting in removal of property or incarceration the cases cited above our not the test cases you want.

I've stated my concerns and even I look at the ones cited in the first two posts and go "yep, should not have had guns"