The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 2, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
shooter_john

First Suppressor (308)

Hello All! Hopefully I will be going Monday to put down my cash and begin the purchase process on a .308 suppressor. I'm getting it from Rock Creek Guns (Nick Hope) in Birmingham, AL. This suppressor will primarily be used on my 700's, a DPMS LR-308, and a couple of AR's (I was told that a 308 will also work on 223's).
Now here are my questions...
He offers a 6 1/2" and an 8" model for 308's. Which do I want, and will the 8" really be much quieter than the shorter model?

Will the 308 suppressor be effective on a 223, or at least what kind of reduction should I expect?

Unfortunately I can't afford any of the super duper titanium cans, but this guy has a great reputation locally, and has done a few cans for some friends of mine.

Thanks in advance for your help! (I haven't been this giddy about any gun stuff in a LONG TIME!)
Old June 2, 2010, 09:14 PM   #2
oldcspsarge

compare his price to those of Yankee Hill for their 308 can which works great for 223 as well.

http://www.yhm.net/store/phantom762.html
Old June 2, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Joat

All else being equal, greater volume=greater db reduction. If the baffle design is the same in both cans, the larger one will be quieter.

When using a .308 can on a .223 you should expect to loose 3-5 db of reduction.

I will second the Yankee Hill Machine recommendation. Their .308 can is quite good and very affordable. When used with the QD mount, it can be moved between guns very easily. The 308 can will fit on the 223 mount but not viceversa. So if you eventually get the 556 can (and you will get another one, damn things are like potato chips) you already have the mount attached to your 223.

Joat
Old June 2, 2010, 11:34 PM   #4
shooter_john

Thanks for the replies... The suppressors I'm looking are still considerably cheaper to buy, and are also QD type, with lifetime warranty. I was set on a YHM until Nick Hope was recommended to me, so I'm going to try his out at his range and go from there. But thanks just the same for Your advice, it is good to know that I will still be good to go on my 223's as well.
Old June 6, 2010, 11:46 PM   #5
wackendogs

I love the SWR Omega 30.. Check into that one. Can be used on a 300 win mag also.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:41 PM   #6
shooter_john

Filled out my forms today, CLEO signature and fingerprints as soon as get to work tomorrow, and then the wait. Went with the 8.5" QD can. The deal was unbeatable to start with and then even got a LE discount. I shot his demo can while I was there and military ball was easily as quiet as a standard velocity .22 LR. Tick, tock, tick, tock...
Old June 7, 2010, 10:11 PM   #7
SpeedLoader

When you get everything mailed you will be in the hurry up and wait mode.

Be sure to get your dealer to mark the form AND give you the contact number so you can call and check on the status.
Old June 8, 2010, 02:06 AM   #8
David Hineline

Have not shot Nick's product, have heard the name many times. In general the most expensive silencer you can buy is the one you regret buying later. Lifetime warranty is only good for the lifetime of the manuf. who made it. With a company that is not keyed about the FFL existence of one person than lifetime warranty might mean something. There are plenty of one man shops around, including myself.
Old June 8, 2010, 08:10 AM   #9
SR420

The SEI/Fisher suppressor that I purchased for my M14s is outstanding, it fits the
DC Vortex flash eliminator on my M14s, 7.62 AK and it works just fine on .223 guns.
Old June 9, 2010, 12:31 PM   #10
shooter_john

Thanks for the info guys! Everything has been mailed and the wait has begun. (My suppressor will also work off of the Vortex QD flash hiders.)
Old October 18, 2010, 09:10 PM   #11
shooter_john

I had to dig up this old to thread to after a phone call to BATFE this afternoon. My application was approved on 10/08 and is now en route back to the dealer and my suppressor should be in my hands very soon.

I ended up getting him to do a QD setup on it and I'm getting two QD mount/ flash hiders to start with. One for my 700PSS and another for an AR.

Now the suspense is really killing me!!! (and I'm already contemplating an SBR for my next stamp!)
Old October 19, 2010, 09:44 AM   #12
VUPDblue

The suspense is a real killer. I have a can that was approved on October 4th that I still don't have paperwork back on
Old October 21, 2010, 09:00 PM   #13
shooter_john

VUPD you may have just answered the next question that I have... How long does it usually take once you're approved to get the paperwork back? (And what exactly is the cause of this apparent delay???) It seems like the next step after approval would be the mailbox.
Old October 22, 2010, 09:05 AM   #14
Joat

After approval, the Examiner has 30 days to mail the stamp. Disregarding the efficiency of the US Postal Service, most stamps take 8-15 days to be delivered.
This does not take into account that not all dealers check their mail daily, or even open the mail on the day that it is delivered.
Also, have your dealer check each stamp envelope they have received, there have been cases lately where the examiner has put two otherwise unrelated stamps in the same envelope to a dealer.

Joat
Old October 24, 2010, 12:19 AM   #15
VUPDblue

I have never had a stamp take longer than a week or 2 to get from NFA to my dealer. This 3 week or more business is NOT what I want to see. My dealer has had stamps approved AFTER mine show up in the mail, but mine and 3 others that were approved on the same day for my dealer have not showed up yet.
Old October 24, 2010, 09:54 AM   #16
shooter_john

Thanks Joat and VUPD... I guess I'll give it another day or two and then get back on the horn. Waiting SUCKS!!!
Old November 6, 2010, 10:31 PM   #17
shooter_john

Found out yesterday that my paperwork came in on the 18th. My manufacture however failed to recall that I wanted a quick detach model, and therefore is machining me a new endcap, and then he is Duracoating it. I should pick it up Friday if all goes well. CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Old November 7, 2010, 12:12 PM   #18
MrM4

Thats cool, the 1st can is always the best.