The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 19, 2002, 10:57 AM   #1
Timothy

Suggestion.......for the vocabulary impaired!

I have a suggestion:
Let me preface it by saying as a relatively new member without a large number of posts, I have gained a wealth of knowledge from all the posts I've read and from all those members who have patiently answered my questions. As embarrassing as it may be to admit, although I feel I am not alone, I often come across terms, abbreviations, and acronyms of which I do not know the meaning. What I must do is read enough posts until I figure it out or by chance find someone's post wherein they have used an abbreviation and followed with an explanation or 'spell-it-out" in parenthesis.

My suggestion:
Provide an area on TFL for a glossary of terms and abbreviations that members could quickly referrer to as they come across something unfamiliar. I don't know about everyone else, but when I encounter an unknown abbreviation etc., I get hung up on it and loose the continuity of the post. Even the new-age electronic vocabulary abbreviations could be included for us old geezers. Filling the glossary would be easy. As each member uses one of these literary short-cuts, he/she could check the glossary and if is not there, put it in! Yes, a 'search' feature would be necessary to enter the abbreviation and maybe even the first couple words of longhand if you are looking for an abbreviation to use.

Boy, will I be embarrassed if this already exists! Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Tim
Old January 19, 2002, 11:02 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

And the embarrassment begins...

See: http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/li...TFL_Primer.htm

That's the link provided by the "Web Acronyms/Firearms Terms" button near the top of each page.
Old January 19, 2002, 11:02 AM   #3
BigG

At the top of the screen there is a link to Web Acronyms/Firearms Terms. Click on it and be enlightened. Welcome to TFL!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old January 19, 2002, 11:05 AM   #4
Timothy

Yes, it sure has. What do you say? Think twice, post once!
Sorry but thanks.
Old January 19, 2002, 11:19 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

"And the embarrassment begins..."

Now why would you be embarrassed by that?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 19, 2002, 12:25 PM   #6
yankytrash

Ah hell Tim, it took me 7 or 8 months to find that link. No shame in feeling stupid among the stupid.
Old January 19, 2002, 02:56 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

Link ? What link ?

After you reach a certain age you become unembarrassable.

Sam
Old January 19, 2002, 08:27 PM   #8
Sodbuster

Embarrassment? How about receiving a private message on 10-18-01 and realizing it only yesterday, three months later. I never look at the bottom part of the forum index page. I guess I should look at least one per month. And Sam, I don't think I want to know what the threshold age for that is.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino