The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2018, 06:12 PM   #26
308Loader

"contentious" causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial.- (of a person) given to arguing or provoking argument. Excellent choice of words sir. I am amused at how fast these types of posts are instantly derailed before they even leave the station. We have yet to even consider the OP's question or intent and we are off the rails. To some one like me these types of questions are at the root of my thinking when considering how to "tweak" my loading for optimal performance (not that I can shoot better than a given cartridge in a given chamber).

I am the only reloader that can admit that I might not fully understand something. Weather that be the right terminology to explain something I am new to, or the correct process to use to achieve my goal. I believe that is why we are all here talking about this stuff, well, that and we aren't out shooting.
Old August 13, 2018, 06:18 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I can not find a reloader that feels comfortable with moving away from the '.002" bump'.
Then, I suggest you aren't looking very hard. I'm not only "comfortable" moving away from the ".002" bump", I don't even approach it.

I began reloading in the dark ages, and pretty much stayed there. Press ram all the way up (no "Cam over") sizer die all the way down, contact with the shell holder. I size everything this way, and don't have cases fail very often. (exception .303 British and SMLE rifles...)

I've got brass I've been loading since the 70s, and its still serviceable. Yes, I have had a few case failures, but nothing like the Internet makes it out to be. Maybe its just me...

I don't load for match shooting, I don't have benchrest guns. I have some varmint rifles, and can do 3/4" groups, (which is probably the limit of my personal ability not the rifle). Most of my guns are sporting rifles, not target guns, and the advanced "tricks" used to get that last 1/4MOA shrinking of group size is irrelevant to me and my guns.

I don't measure to the "datum line" nor do I worry about bumping back the shoulder to a set amount. I take what the FL die gives me, and it works for me.
Old August 13, 2018, 06:30 PM   #28
hounddawg

Quote:
Two years ago one of the guys first time out with the chrono ,the kind you shoot through a triangle . First shot he mangled that thing , had to walk away , couldn't stop laughing , he was so pissed off at himself . Just gotta love the sport .
LMAO

that's what laser bore sights are for, put a piece of cardboard in front of that triangle and a laser bore sight in the chamber and you know exactly where that bullet will be going over the chrono.

I just bought a target cam and was using it at the 800 yard line the other day and another shooter asked me if I wasn't afraid I would shoot the rig. My reply was that if I or my rig was shooting that far off it was God's way of telling me I did not need a new toy. Just to be safe I made sure it was on the upwind side of the target
Old August 13, 2018, 06:41 PM   #29
308Loader

delete double post.

Last edited by 308Loader; August 13, 2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old August 13, 2018, 06:50 PM   #30
308Loader

So back on track, "When sizing your brass with minimum headspace dimension is it for case life or accuracy?" "Maybe powder charge is most important?" Or is it a combination of all factors, to fit the case to the chamber + appropriate "jump" of given bullet to the lands and groves + a "flat" charge node? I only ask because I too am interested.
Old August 13, 2018, 10:10 PM   #31
cw308

308Loader
Went down all the roads , minimum case headspace dimension for accuracy , didn't care how many reloads I got out of them. Jumping and jamming the same bullet , Sierra 168 grain HPBT MK . Found a reload that gave me tight groups , stopped tweaking and started working on my form . You could have the most accurate reload but if your form is off you'll never know it . So I guess both are just as important. Knowing how to shoot accurately should be first , knowing when you throw a shot .

I was even placing a mark on the case to insert the round on the follower in the same position every time . Way to much thinking . I still prep my brass to be as close to exact as possible , same with powder charge and seating . No changes . My only excuse now is me and barrel wear .
Old August 14, 2018, 09:15 AM   #32
F. Guffey

Quote:
I was even placing a mark on the case to insert the round on the follower in the same position every time . Way to much thinking . I still prep my brass to be as close to exact as possible , same with powder charge and seating . No changes . My only excuse now is me and barrel wear .
Lonf before the Internet a shooter/writer/reloader purchased 500 cases from one manufacturer; who knows if the 500 cases came from the same lot; but out of the 500 cases he sorted the cases until he was left with 47 perfect cases.

And then he went back and started over, he found he could get the same accuracy with rejected cases if he indexed them. No one on this forum read the article; with one exception.

F. Guffey