The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 9, 2018, 12:39 PM   #1
bspillman

If you could only own one of these choices

I’m looking at the Taurus 605 357 and the Smith n Wesson 637 38 plus p. If you had to chose between the 2. Which would you pick and why please? Thanks in advance.
Old August 9, 2018, 12:43 PM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspillman View Post
I’m looking at the Taurus 605 357 and the Smith n Wesson 637 38 plus p. If you had to chose between the 2. Which would you pick and why please? Thanks in advance.
Mmmm. Either?

I've got a stainless 605 in my pocket right now, that I've had for 10 years (give or take). It's fine. But I almost never shoot .357 through it.

The S&W gets you practically the same gun, but without Taurus' legendary customer service. </sarc>

Quote:
Features
• Lightweight alloy frame for easy carry
• Stainless steel barrel and cylinder
• External hammer
• Rated for continuous +P Use
Is an external hammer something you want?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 9, 2018, 02:05 PM   #3
bspillman

I like the idea of having the single action option if I chose it. But no the external hammer is not a must. Thanks.
Old August 9, 2018, 02:15 PM   #4
Targa

The 605’s I have shot have been excellent and nicer to shoot than the J frame Smiths. I don’t care for .357’s out of any of these snubbies, .38’s for me.
Old August 9, 2018, 02:15 PM   #5
FITASC

Then you might want to consider the S&W 649:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-649

While it has a hammer for SA use, it is shrouded so pocket carry doesn't result in a snag from the hammer spur.

In either event, I would take the S&W.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2018, 02:18 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

S&W over Taurus, every single time.

Why? a lifelong history of ownership of S&Ws. My father had some, and I've had at least one since reaching legal age to own one, over 40 years ago...

I know what to expect, and if it ever happens I don't get it, I have an American company to deal with.
Old August 9, 2018, 02:18 PM   #7
bspillman

Thanks for the suggestion but that’s more than I’m looking to spend. Thanks again.
Old August 9, 2018, 02:30 PM   #8
Wishoot

I have a 637 and it's been 100% reliable. +P is a handful to shoot, but practice makes it easier to manage.
Old August 9, 2018, 04:03 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but that’s more than I’m looking to spend. Thanks again.
The "hammerless" (fully enclosed hammer) 442 and 642 are relatively inexpensive. there are good reasons to go hammerless with these type guns.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 9, 2018, 04:16 PM   #10
buck460XVR

A 637 is my EDC. I, myself, like the SA option. In a coupla decades of carry, never had the hammer snag. Have had to pull it several times for dogs running at large and threatening my dog. Never had to pull the trigger, but had the gun cocked a coupla times. Practice with it both ways at the range and at SD distance, accuracy is very similar. What I like about the 637 is, because of it's size and weight, many times I forget I even have it on.
Old August 9, 2018, 04:44 PM   #11
kenny53

My wife has a Taurus 85 in her night stand, doesn't get shot much but it works fine. I had a S&W and it was a better gun. I gave the gun to my oldest son. Don't over look Ruger. I love my SP 101 and it is hard to beat the GP 100.
Old August 9, 2018, 05:17 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I would have to choose the S&W because the other choice is a Taurus.

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
Old August 9, 2018, 05:27 PM   #13
lee n. field

Is the LCRx affordable for you?
Old August 9, 2018, 05:29 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
A 637 is my EDC. I, myself, like the SA option. In a coupla decades of carry, never had the hammer snag. Have had to pull it several times for dogs running at large and threatening my dog. Never had to pull the trigger, but had the gun cocked a coupla times. Practice with it both ways at the range and at SD distance, accuracy is very similar. What I like about the 637 is, because of it's size and weight, many times I forget I even have it on.
Your choice. I contemplate bobbing the hammer on my 605, myself.
Old August 9, 2018, 06:37 PM   #15
Charlie98

Quote:
I would have to choose the S&W because the other choice is a Taurus.

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
+1

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old August 9, 2018, 10:13 PM   #16
Doc Holliday 1950

Since I bought my first S&W a 686+ 3" 357 in magnum IMHO the Smith beats the Taurus in every area.

Doc
Old August 10, 2018, 07:35 AM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but that’s more than I’m looking to spend.

If you said it I missed it. What are you looking to spend?
Old August 10, 2018, 08:42 AM   #18
pete2

Never ever would I choose a Taurus over an S&W-------------------NEVER!
Old August 10, 2018, 09:13 AM   #19
Nathan

Smith....better trigger, better machining, better finish, better collectibility.

Really no comparison. If you like the Taurus, their revolvers have an ok rep.
Old August 10, 2018, 10:14 AM   #20
CajunBass

I don't care much for "J" frame size revolvers, but if I was going to have one, I'd get a Ruger LCR, mostly because I like the grip better.
(My real choice is a Ruger LC9s. I like it and shoot it better than ANY small revolver.)

However, between the Taurus and the Smith & Wesson. I've owned both, had no trouble with either. I just don't care for them, so pick the one you like best.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 10, 2018, 11:40 AM   #21
T. O'Heir

The Smith. Taurus has reputation for extremely bad customer service. Mind you, it'd be a 2" Smith 19 or 66. I know they'll fit my hand.