The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 27, 2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Prof Young

Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag . . .

I'm looking at a used Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel for five bills.

Please tell me about your experience with yours.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 27, 2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Nanuk

Super Blackhawk?

Ruger single action revolvers are great. I have 2-44's and 3-22's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 27, 2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Model12Win

I greatly prefer the flattops as the action lines up with the loading port on the clicks.
Old June 27, 2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Targa

My 5.5” barreled SBH is excellent. I did have to change out the grips to Pachmayr’s do to a bit of knuckle slap but other than that it is a very fun gun.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Bob Wright

I am very fond of my Super Blackhawks:

Several of these have in excess of 15,000 round fired through them.

Bob Wright
Old June 27, 2018, 08:29 PM   #6
Prof Young

Right . . . Super Blackhawk!

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Model12win - I still have a lot to learn. Can you tell me that again in less "revolver" language?

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old June 27, 2018, 08:44 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young
I still have a lot to learn. Can you tell me that again in less "revolver" language?
It can't be explained in "less revolver language," because it's a revolver issue.

With modern double action revolvers, to reload you push [something, depending on brand] and the entire cylinder swings out. But the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk aren't modern double actions, they're quasi-modern single actions.

If you know anything about cowboy revolvers, to reload a Colt 1873 Single Action Army (or any of the Italian clones thereof) you move the hammer to half cock and open the loading gate on the right side of the revolver. One chamber will (hopefully) be lined up with the loading gate, so you can punch out the empty case and insert a loaded cartridge. Simple.

Old Ruger single actions worked the same way. But, when Ruger eliminated direct hammer firing and created the transfer bar ignition system they also changed the loading operation. The new large-frame Ruger's don't have a half cock position. Opening the loading gate releases the cylinder, and you have to manually move it to align a chamber with the gate. If you go too far and miss the alignment -- you can't go back, you have to go all the way around and try again.

Ruger apparently took enough heat over this that the even newer flattop models have a revised loading sequence that is an attempt to overcome the widespread dissatisfaction with the way the Blackhawks have to be handled to load.

There was a recent thread that got into this in some detail:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=596307
Old June 27, 2018, 09:28 PM   #8
tallball

I have a 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum. It is my favorite handgun out of many. I got mine on a $399 bid, but it took several months to find one that cheap. They are excellent revolvers. Mine is very accurate.
Old June 27, 2018, 10:12 PM   #9
44caliberkid

I've had two. $500 is a little high. The squared rear part of the trigger guard raps your middle finger hard upon firing, so rubber or wood grips that fill in that part are recommended. Since you aren't accustomed to one type of loading gate or loading procedure it won't matter, you'll just learn the one you buy. In casual shooting it won't matter.
Old June 27, 2018, 11:31 PM   #10
rclark

First, all .44 Mags are on the same size large cylinder frame ... BH, SBH, Vaquero . Assume we are talking about the SBH, but there was the first Old Model large frame flattop BlackHawks from '56 to I think '63. The OM SBH was introduced in '59 with a new grip frame, some protective ears around the rear sight. Of course in '73 the New Model SBH came along. Then there is the 50th Anniversary flattop .44 Mag BH in 2006. One thing about Ruger, you got 'some' variations!

That said, I like my 50th Anniversary .44Mag 6 1/2" a lot... It is my goto revolver when shooting .44 Mag. BTW, it has the loading pawl that lets the chamber line up for easy loading/unloading. Have a 7 1/2" NM SBH also that is ok... But I like the flattop better. No reason other than 'I' prefer it.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old June 28, 2018, 07:16 AM   #11
Real Gun

Quote:
Targa - My 5.5” barreled SBH is excellent. I did have to change out the grips to Pachmayr’s do to a bit of knuckle slap but other than that it is a very fun gun.

There is no current production 44 Mag Bisley Blackhawk in a 5.5" barrel, but Lipsey's expressed interest, when I inquired about it. I have the Anniversary Flat Top but there isn't enough grip on the Flat Tops to really control a 44 Mag with a serious load.
Old June 28, 2018, 07:19 AM   #12
Real Gun

Quote:
I'm looking at a used Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel for five bills.
Are you referring to a Bisley Hunter or Standard SBH?
Old June 28, 2018, 02:02 PM   #13
Prof Young

It's the standard . . .

Yeah, it's the standard Super Blackhawk, not the hunter model.

On line reviews have warned of the squared off trigger guard.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 28, 2018, 02:02 PM   #14
SIGSHR

New or Old Model ? Strictly an Old Model man myself.
Old June 28, 2018, 04:19 PM   #15
Prof Young

Bought it . . .

Went to put some rounds through the 1911 today and looked at the Super Black Hawk again. Katie (the range lady) told me the previous owner had shot 12 rounds and decided he/she didn't like the squared of trigger guard. Because I'm a regular there she offered me the gun for $450 so I went for it. Will let you know how it goes in a week or so.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old June 28, 2018, 05:04 PM   #16
MSD Mike

I enjoy mine. Its a 7.5'' unconverted old model. Some don't like the squared trigger guard but I don't have a problem with it. I did have to do some work to equalize the throats and I keep a screwdriver on hand if I'm going to put a lot of rounds through it. The ejector rod housing screw occasionally needs to be tightened. Mine handles full power ammo easily and its really mild with mid level ammo.

Mike
Old June 28, 2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Dufus

The trigger guard has never been a bother to me. Yeah, I got rapped a couple of times, but I learned to adapt.

SBHs are a joy to shoot. No one says you gotta shoot max loads all the time. I tame mine for casual shooting and cast bullets.

My best two loads are with a 250 gr cast SWC and a 260 gr cast hollow point. You can make them shoot any way you want.

My grand eldest daughter loves shooting my cast bullet loads.
Old June 28, 2018, 06:21 PM   #18
jsust

I owned an 8 inch model and it was a great shot. Now that was all it was for me. The novelty of the single action wore off and the square trigger guard hurt to shoot. I put some rubber grups on it and it became a dream to shoot after that. Now thats where I had a problem. I loved to shoot it with the new grips but it lost what made it a beautiful single action. I bastardized and had to do it because I only enjoyed it thay way. Then I concluded what I realy wanted was a 629. I gave my super black hawk to my cousin and got me a 629! Now that 629 doesnt shoot as well but I enjoy it more. I probably should have kept it for a show off piece but it would have gone to waste in my safe.
Old June 28, 2018, 06:57 PM   #19
2damnold4this

Enjoy your purchase! I sure enjoy my SBH with a 7.5" barrel. I don't always shoot it with full power loads as a 240 grain hard cast over 9.3 grains of Universal makes a nice fun load.
Old June 28, 2018, 08:42 PM   #20
ThomasT

I have a SBH with a 5.5" barrel. The trigger guard never bothered me but the sharp corner at the bottom of the grip frame cut in to the palm of my hand. And I have medium sized hands at best. I added one of the ugly Pacmeyer rubber grips and that made it shootable with any loads.

I have full bore heavy loads but way more mid range and pop gun loads. I like a 240gr lead with just 5grs of Bullseye powder. That lod was accurate in the model 29 I stupidly sold and is accurate in this gun. Plus its just fun to shoot.

I have cast bullets for 30+ years. I use a cast iron skillet to make Pucks of lead that way around 25 pounds. I shot one of the pucks with a full power 9mm round and the bullet buried up to its base. I then shot one of the 5gr Bullseye loads with 240gr lead bullet and it buried in the lead and then cracked the other side with radial splits. Those that like heavy, slow bullets are on to something.

And at $450 you paid the right price. I bought mine over 10 years ago NIB and paid $425 with the box and paperwork. Worth every penny too.
Old June 28, 2018, 09:22 PM   #21
Nanuk

If you don't like it I have a set of Hogue's I can make you a good deal on.
Old June 29, 2018, 12:23 AM   #22
Sequins

My SBH is one of my favourite guns. The sharp angle on the knuckle simply encourages me to maintain a good grip, or at least that's what I tell myself.
Old June 29, 2018, 06:52 AM   #23
Nanuk

I think the reloading thing is overblown. I grew up with a new model single six, after 10's of thousands of rounds I never thought twice about it.
Old June 29, 2018, 12:31 PM   #24
Bob Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
I think the reloading thing is overblown. I grew up with a new model single six, after 10's of thousands of rounds I never thought twice about it.
You're right about that. I've put thousands of rounds through my New Model Blackhawks and never noticed any problem loading nor extracting empties.

Maybe I'm just such an adaptable cuss!

Bob Wright
Old June 29, 2018, 12:42 PM   #25
Wyosmith

I bought the very first New Model SBK I ever saw. It was in 1973 from a shop in Reno. I still have it.
I sent it back to Ruger in 1978 for a new barrel because I shot it so much I eroded the forcing cone/throat of the 1st barrel.
The gun now has about 15,000-16,000 rounds through it's second barrel.

I put over-travel stops in the hammer and trigger and tightened the action with a full "smooth and tune" about 6 months after I got the gun in 1973. Other then having the 2nd barrel installed I have never done anything else to it except for cutting the 2nd barrel off to 5" and re-installing the front sight. Functionally it's still as good as it was the day I got it.

They are reliable and accurate.
Outstanding field revolvers.