The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 2006, 02:15 AM   #1
tINY

Dura Coat over receiver/barrel transition?

Alright, my hunting rifle shoots well now (way better than needed, but hey, who's complaining...)

The problem is that it is a little too shiny. So I want to paint it with Dure Coat so that it's matte. The problem is that the oversized recoil lug is already set and the whole thing is bedded. So I don't really want to take the barrel off the receiver right now. But, I do wan to be able to get it off latter if needed.

So, can I Aluminum Oxide blast it and paint it as one unit and get the barrel off later, or will the epoxy make it near impossible to unscrew the barrel later on?

-tINY

Old July 16, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

The coating should have no effect on barrel removal.

Since the coating isn't going to "soak" into the joint and into the threads, it's isn't going to "glue" the barrel on.

I doubt you'll notice any difference at all when removing the barrel.
Old July 16, 2006, 02:48 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

info for you

Tiny, if you did a fine job of bedding the rifle, it shouldn't hurt it one bit to remove the gun and do all of the work and then put it back in the stock once you have it finished.

It might take you a couple of shots to rezero it back perfect, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't blast it without using the tape that prevents any damage to the stock and scope completely wrapped around the scope and stock. Then you might be ok, but most likely, the grit will get inside everything, like the trigger group and you won't be very happy with the resuts. Best bet is simply remove the stock, then the bolt and trigger group and blast the gun and paint it. Once it is cured, put it all back together and I think you will like the results a lot better than what you proposed trying. Best of luck with it.

I always Park my guns before Duracoating them if I can. Make sure to remoev anything that isn't steel though as aluminum won't Park. All I do is blast aluminum and then spray it down before painting it.
Old July 17, 2006, 01:43 AM   #4
tINY

Thanks guys.

I have no issue taking the stock off and removing the trigger group, scope mounts and bolt shroud. I just don't want to remove the barrel from the receiver because the recoil lug (this is a remington) isn't pinned. That means that removing the barrel can easily cause the luge to end up in a different orientation....

I'm afraid that I can't parkerize anything - it's stainless with aluminum trigger guard and floorplate. I was hoping to degrease and paint the aluminum over the existing paint. I will aluminum oxide blast the barrel and receiver.

-tINY

Old July 17, 2006, 04:08 AM   #5
cntryboy1289

you'll be good to go

I don't remove the barrels when I paint rifles and it doesn't "glue" them in at all.

You can go with the duracoat over the aluminum with or without blasting it. I prefer to roughen it slightly myself when applying Duracoat.

As far as it goes with the barrel, You can mask it off after blasting it to dull it to a matte finish and paint the receiver only or paint it as well. I would blast it first no matter what you decide to do though with fresh beads or oxide. That way you don't contaminate the SS with rust or carbon steel from the receiver if it is made of 4140.

Best of luck with it.