The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 12, 2016, 08:36 AM   #51
603Country

These days I hunt mostly with a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 260 that was rebarrelled with a Brux #4 contour barrel. Scope is a Vortex Viper 4-16 PST FFP. That rifle replaced, as the go-to, my Sako in 270. Just as my Dad did, later in life, I have gone toward a lighter rifle, which is the Tikka.

Just to mention it, since the scope seems a bit much on a deer rifle, I only ever crank turrets for distant coyotes. In my younger days, shots on deer ranged out as far as 450 yards, but now it'll be a rare day indeed for me to take a shot on a deer at 300 yards. For the last few years, 225 yards is my longest shot on a deer.

I swear I feel guilty about leaving the Sako in the safe, since I used it for decades and at least 100 deer, but the Tikka leaps into my hands.
Old June 13, 2016, 08:31 AM   #52
Rifletom

What model Sako sleeps in the safe?
Old June 13, 2016, 08:43 AM   #53
603Country

Rifletom, the Sako is a Lightweight Hunter that I bought back in the 1980's. Beautiful wood. Leupold 4.5-14 scope is on it.
Old June 13, 2016, 06:43 PM   #54
gw44

My 35 marlin a1952sc my first hunting gun, it has been a great hunting partner !!!!
Old June 13, 2016, 06:52 PM   #55
Rifletom

Yeah, those are nice indeed. I'll be using mine this season IF I get drawn.
Old June 25, 2016, 02:13 AM   #56
bamaranger

over the years

From when I first started at age 12, up until about age 21, I used my heirloom rifle from my Grandad, a Win 88 in .308. Truth was, I wasn't getting to hunt all that much, and the old rifle only went to the woods a week or so a year. As I aged and relocated, seasons and opportunities became longer and more frequent. After killing about a dozen deer with Linclon's old rifle, I put it in semi retirement, as it was starting to lead a harder life than it deserved. The conclusion of that tale is I took a meat buck for a sick pal this winter with the M88, it's first kill in about 25 yrs or so.

I got bit by the bowhunting bug hard, and bowhunted more than I carried a rifle for close to three decades. Sure I rifle hunted, I loved tinkering with rifles, and still do, but I never really had a favorite. The past 5 yrs or so, I've eased up on my bowhunting, and have carried rifles a good bit more than in years past.

I hunt a pair of short, light carbines, a Ruger tube feed.44 mag, and the other a Ruger 77 bolt in 7.62x39, that see regular use. I still have strong bowhunter tendencies, and many of my stands will produce shots at relatively close range, so I can tolerate their moderate power for their ease of portability. But I recognize their lack of serious reach limits their overall utility.

So, as a "go to" I'd have to pick something bigger, and currently it,s been a toss up between a Savage Hog rifle in .308 and a Mark X mannlicher stocked 30'06. The two rifles have some similarities. Both have short, 20" tubes and are relatively portable. Both wear fixed 6x Leupolds. Both have a bent to lob relatively heavy 180 grain slugs into satisfying tight little clusters. That is far more punch than I need to anchor whitetails, but the extra power is nice for longer shots or bad angles or misfortune.

Appearance wise, the two .30's are worlds apart. I tend to carry the Mark X when the going is easy and the weather nice. It is a looker with relatively blonde wood and deep, dark blueing. The vertically split rings and the gloss scope add to its Euro appearance. It always draws comments from guys that see it.

If its rough and wet, the Savage gets the nod. The utilitarian green poly stock is near ugly, but worry free. So to the matte finish on the barrel and scope. The big XTR rings, medium heavy barrel and A2 flash hider I couldn't resist adding yield a very business like and leathal appearance.

Grandad could appreciate the Mark X. I suspect he'd be a bit taken back by the Savage.