The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 14, 2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Bucksnort1

Colorado Big Game Preference Points

Later this summer, I will be moving to Arizona. This year is the first time in 38 years I have not either applied for a big game license or for a point only. I have seven elk points and seven pronghorn points that will be unused because, as a resident of Arizona, I'm not paying $600 for a non-resident license.

A few weeks ago, I called CPW to see if there is a program set up to donate points to a wounded warrior. There is not such a program. What a waste of points a warrior could use. This irritates the heck out of me, big time.

I can hold onto those points for five years without any activity before CPW drops them from their records. Maybe in that time a program will come on board.
Old April 14, 2016, 10:45 AM   #2
old roper

Co points are in your name and CID #. WW program here in Co has land owners who donated tags to WW program and host them during their hunt. WW will also provide any assistant hunter needs to complete the hunt
NRA Life Member
Old April 14, 2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Bucksnort1

Old Roper,

It's good to know there is some type of program for wounded warriors. And speaking of warriors, thank you for your selfless service to your country. I can tell you are a Marine and a veteran of a foreign war.
Old April 14, 2016, 12:26 PM   #4
taylorce1

I can't figure out why you didn't apply this year? Yes, you don't have enough points to get a premium area but I'd have applied and used those points. With seven points you still had shots at areas that have good elk and pronghorn and would have been guaranteed a hunt. Plus it wouldn't have mattered if you were living in AZ by the time the hunt came around as you would have been a resident of CO at the time you applied.

It's nice to want to donate your points but unfortunately as you found out CO isn't set up that way. I wish CO would allow something like what you wanted to do. However, like Old Roper stated there are programs in place to help many organizations like the Wounded Warrior Project.

If I were you I wouldn't loose those points, I'd keep building them. You get the majority of the money back in the end. Plus when you do draw that premium tag, you might be willing to spend the $600+ on an elk hunt and the $300+ for pronghorn.
Old April 14, 2016, 10:32 PM   #5
Bucksnort1

Taylorce,

I will move to Arizona in August. I'm not driving back or flying back to CO for the pronghorn hunt then the elk hunt. I've hunted elk in unit 76, near Creede, for about twenty years, off and on and I've taken several elk.

I could have applied for a point only but what is the sense in doing that if I'm not willing to come back for the two hunts. At this point in my life, I have no desire to hunt big game in Arizona or anywhere. In Arizona, I will concentrate on trout fishing and dove/quail hunting.
Old April 14, 2016, 10:38 PM   #6
Bucksnort1

Taylorce,

I am satisfied with my big game adventures in Colorado, especially when I drew my Rocky Mountain Goat license, a few years ago. I drew after seven years of applying. Opening morning, I shot a nanny. She isn't one of the late season billies with the long goatee, the heavier horns at the base, the full body of winter hair or the puffy knickerbocker hairy legs but she is a goat. I am a believer in the old saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", if you catch my drift.
Old April 16, 2016, 08:08 AM   #7
taylorce1

Well hang onto those points anyway, once you get to AZ you might find your best option for hunting elk and pronghorn is coming back to CO.
Old April 16, 2016, 11:51 AM   #8
Bucksnort1

Taylor,

You are absolutely 100 percent correct. I will hang onto the points and maybe occasionally apply for points only just to keep them active and, who knows, someday I may feel froggy and jump at a chance to come to Colorado and hunt big game again.

I don't want to be like a fella I knew from Colorado Springs. He had been accruing elk points for many years so he could draw a tag for GMU 1 in northwest Colorado. At about fifteen points, he died.
Old April 16, 2016, 12:57 PM   #9
taylorce1

I had 9 points last year only to shatter my ankle a week before season started. I got all 9 points back and just applied for PP this year so I'll have 10, and I'll probably have 11-12 before I get to hunt elk again, While I worked enough last year to have vacation, this year is a whole different story as it's looking like July before I get back to work.

Things happen, and I'm sorry to hear about your buddy.
Old April 16, 2016, 02:41 PM   #10
Bucksnort1

Take care of your ankle.
Old April 17, 2016, 11:05 PM   #11
doofus47

Good luck down there in AZ, bucksnort.

Donate them if you can, but keep those points rather than drop them.
In another couple years, you might want to come back just for the cool weather!
Old April 18, 2016, 02:19 PM   #12
Bucksnort1

doofus47,

You and taylorce1 are correct. I will be stupid to not hang on to the points. Every couple of years or so, I will apply for a "point only" to keep them active until I decide what to do. Hunters now have ten years in which to keep points active by either applying for a point only or applying for a license. In Colorado, if you don't draw your first choice hunt code, you accrue a point. My major consideration is my age. I am 72 and 1/2 years old and at present, I am in very good health so if I can maintain my good health, I may be headed to Colorado as a non-resident.

Now that I think about it, I wish I had applied for a point only for this year for both species.