The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 12, 2016, 06:39 AM   #26
Geezerbiker

I've seen lots of elk in Western Oregon where I live but never during elk season. There's an elk preserve that has thousands of elk in it during hunting season. It's like they have a map to it and a calendar of when to be there.

Tony
Old April 13, 2016, 08:32 AM   #27
kraigwy

In reality hunting in Alaska sucks unless you're rich. A bit different when I first moved there in 72, when I left in 94 it turned into rich man's sport.

Most people are confined in the larger towns, Anchorage bowl and Fairbanks. The last few years the limited road system was bumper to bumper during hunting season. Better were the rivers, but now even those are bumper to bumper.

You have to fly out for any sort of success. That means money. A lot more money if you're a non-resident.

You want to pick an area for hunting, then choose the Mountain West.

Yeah Wyoming will have a Grizzly season starting in 2017, but Im betting not many on this form will live long enough to draw a tag. The problem is introducing wolves to NW Wyoming caused a lot of competition for food so the bears are moving out of the Parks. That with the increase in Grizzly populations will generate some tags. But there will be a huge demand.

If hunting, I'll stick to Wyoming. If I decide I need a Griz, I'll bit the bullet, spend some bucks and hunt the Yukon. Two years ago, I was quoted a Price of $16K for a combo Moose/Caribou/Griz hunt. I'm sure its higher now.

I might go Grizzly hunting in AK, but I wont go the Guide route, I have a friend who lives in a good Grizzly area and I have a son who still lives there that can by my "first kindred" guide. The Non-resident tag by itself isn't that pricy.

Of course whether I do is a different story. But other then the big bears I see no reason to leave Wyoming.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 13, 2016, 08:17 PM   #28
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlerer2
First, I don't agree that there are far more Elk in CO than in any other state. The wilderness in Co is compressed into less than half of the state. I have traveled quite a bit in CO and it's a beautiful wilderness. Being smaller than MT , I believe it's easier for guides to find the best trophy's. I have read that the best trophy elk are coming from CO, but it is much easier for a hunter to get an elk in MT.
Colorado's elk herd is on average 100,000 elk more than Montana. Don't feel bad though Montana has the second largest elk population in the United States. It's pretty easy to check any State that has elk monitors the population closely.

You may be right about it being easier to have a successful elk hunt in Montana than Colorado. I do believe though it's still easier to get an elk tag in Colorado compared to any other state that allows elk hunting. We have over the counter bull tags every year no need to put in for them and wait for draw results.

Last edited by taylorce1; April 13, 2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old April 13, 2016, 09:40 PM   #29
tric3imagery

Lots of elk in Colorado mtns, except 1st day of hunting they huddle in private lands, saved for high dollar hunts,and do gooders who don't allow hunting my observation

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old April 14, 2016, 02:00 PM   #30
old roper

Lot of good elk hunting in Co if you know where to hunt on public land.
NRA Life Member
Old April 15, 2016, 08:15 AM   #31
Bucksnort1

Photon Guy,

If you are interested in hunting for large bulls and bucks in Colorado, find a book titled, "Colorado's Biggest Bucks and Bulls." I haven't seen the book in many years but I believe it will indicate where most of the big bucks and bulls have been taken and I believe it is still available.

Also, many years ago, I asked a game warden where, in general, will we find the biggest bulls. His answer was something like, the game units directly on either side of the continental divide.