The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 26, 2001, 01:25 AM   #26
Karsten

Stage is set, You and you other half live in an apartment building. Thin walls, studs either 16 or 24 on center. 5/8 inches of dry wall on either side of the wall and hollow core doors, none of which have a lot of stopping power .223 and even a small grain is going to get you in possible trouble. Face it guys and gals, you are in a room 8x8 to maybe 10x10...there are live bodies just a few feet away.
9MM will get someone with an errant round, 45 will do the same and .357 may get someone you don't even know 3 doors down. If you have to use a pistol, try to find what Pin Shooter refer to as Pin grabbers, a hollow point with saw like teeth. They were designed for SD so that the bullet at the would grab and flip, slowing and sometimes stopping the bullet. When you hit a Bowling pin they would flip somewhat sideways from the sping and the suddden stop.Apartment living a nice 410 for her and a Mossberg 500 defender or buy all means 870 if in the budget for you. Nothing more than #4 buck and maybe even lighter and your chances of over penetration will be greatly reduced. Making the risk of hurting and family member or nieghbor lessened greatly. Reguardless of what you use hide behind the bed and wait, cover is always good.
Most of all know your weapon reguardless of what your choice ends up. By VERY familiar with it and operating it is total darkness. cycling it, loading, safety ect and the same for your wife. A weapon can be a greater liablity if you don't know it well. After all what happens if you forgot to chamber a round or left the safety ON? Sure you have the drop on the BG but at a great disavantage when you pull the trigger and nothing happens.

Karsten

PS Those are tried and proven tactic for home SD, learn them, know them and some day they may save your life. Honestly, I pray you never have a reason!!!!

[Edited by Karsten on 01-26-2001 at 05:49 PM]
Old January 26, 2001, 07:25 PM   #27
exgi

our township police gave up on their
shotguns and now carry ruger .40 cal carbines. such a gun might be more suitable for home defense. worth thinking about anyway.
Old January 26, 2001, 08:15 PM   #28
Deadman

I'm pretty sure in the film Predator, the character Billy ( the N.A.Indian/hispanic tracker ) had a M16 with an underslung shotgun instead of an underslung M203 grenade launcher. Best of both worlds I suppose.
Old January 26, 2001, 10:12 PM   #29
Karsten

edited to suit Erick

[Edited by Karsten on 01-27-2001 at 03:28 AM]
Old January 27, 2001, 02:24 AM   #30
AAChang

I would definately go with the Shotgun. The legendary "racking" sound should be enough to deter most criminals inside your home. Also, at close ranges, birdshot would be effective enough and it won't over penetrate.
Old January 27, 2001, 10:46 AM   #31
EnochGale

If the BG is close enough to hear the rack, then you are an idiot who has been unloaded for far too long.

You don't fight with sound effects. This is an urban myth that the untrained like to blather on lists.

The second you pick up the gun, you rack it.

Sorry to be harsh.
Old January 27, 2001, 06:48 PM   #32
M1911

I have to say that I'm with Enoch on this. Depending upon the situation, the first thing the Goblin will hear from me is either 1) a challenge -- "DON'T MOVE, DROP THAT WEAPON", or 2) a gunshot.

M1911
Old January 28, 2001, 11:42 PM   #33
Arizona Fusilier

On the sound thing

You wake up to a loud crash, you just "know" the door has just been broken down, there is a loud and obvious clatter of footsteps through your apartment (or other abode) as unknown forces charge as fast as they can towards where they think you are, before you can mount an effective defense.

Of course I'm chambering a round, as soon as I grab the darn thing!

Scenario two: You wake up to a small, barely discernable noise, you don't know what it is or where it came from. You don't know if you are in a self-defense situation or not, but because your cautious, you grab your Mossberg 500 Persuader and investigate. As you near the living room, you hear the front door knob being jiggled.

You yell "hey, who's there!?", and the jiggling suddenly becomes pounding and kicking.

You yell "I'm calling the cops", and the pounding and kicking are accompanied by threats and swearing.

You then yell "I've got a gun!" because you actually believe it when the NRA says the mere presence of a firearm, without a shot being fired, is often a deterrent to crime.

There's only one problem with that. 280 million people in this country can actually yell that. Only 70 - 80 million can actually mean it. So rack the slide on your shotgun, and they know which side of the ledger you fall on. But you do so behind cover, when you have the time, yet also know this is absolutely NO susbstitute for the willingness to use it. Because if that does NOT deter them, you have some bona-fide maniacs on your hands.

One of my fundamental assumptions in my advice is that one does not actually want to harm anyone, if they can avoid it. The noise "option" is one that, admittedly, can and should be exploited only under very narrow parameters. But it CAN be an option under the right circumstances. And as I mentioned in my first post, I like having options.

Old January 29, 2001, 04:34 PM   #34
EnochGale

OH give me a break. How do you know that some other member of the breakin crew hasn't come through your back door?

Or has soon as you start yelling whatever, the door kicks in and you are standing there with your thumb up your butt.

Of course, the script goes the defenders way. Right.

Listen, dude, if you want sound effects, get an alarm system that you can trigger from inside that sounds big loud sirens outside.

When you need a gun, you need a gun and not some fairy tale of how you scary away the cowardly bad guy.
Old January 29, 2001, 09:46 PM   #35
Edmund Rowe

It's the man, not the gun

12 gauge vs AR-15:

I have both, have trained with both, and can easily use both for home defense. I submit that a good man can use either for HD, and the difference will be between his ears, not with what's in his hands.

With any firearm, the only ethical resting place for each shot is the body of your (lethal) aggressor. Put another way, you are responsible for the terminal resting place of every projectile you launch.

Ideally, this means you only shoot when you can hit. Both the shotgun and the AR-15 have their own idiosyncracies to be aware of. Shotgun pellets make patterns, and the max size of it must be intimately known for the home defense load chosen so every pellet can be shot with certainty into the perp. Don't forget that the perp might not be showing a full frontal profile. Shotgun slugs don't have a pattern, obviously, but their point of impact must still be a known quantity.

AR-15s typically have a large offset between the sights and the bore, which leads to a similar difference in point of aim/point of impact at short range.

With either AR-15 or shotgun, I'd have a set of hearing protection right next to the gun. It would not do to have ears ringing and not hear the police yell at you to put your gun down.

The biggest plug for long arms: they are very easy to hit with at typical civilian engagement distances. Good handgun accuracy suffer for most people starting at like 10-15 feet. Even less for some people. However, long arms are a snap to hit accurately with at these ranges (see caveats above, though). Gabe Suarez mentions in his book "The Tactical Rifle" that a SWAT veteran of several shootouts took his longest range shot at 57 feet. That's less than 20 yards and a very simple shot for a rifle.

With either AR-15 or shotgun there is a lot more authority making the perp cease aggressive behavior. The wounds created are not in the same ballpark as a handgun. BUT regardless of which one I used, I'd still cover down and make sure the perp is really down and stopped fighting. There are enough stories of perps taking multiple gunshot wounds (even with 2 x 12 gauge slugs! see Jim Cirillo's book) that caution is wise.

I hope I made sense

Edmund
Old January 30, 2001, 02:54 AM   #36
Arizona Fusilier

My last feedback

I don't have a backdoor. I live in a third-story apartment, specifically to limit my potential opponents options and to expedite my decision-cycle under the circumstances described. If I did have backdoor, this one variable would drastically alter the options that I exercise.

We have a great dichotomy on our hands here. I believe there are limited parameters under which the "cowardly' bad guys would choose the better part of valor; this would appear a more unlikely scenario under the same circumstances that you envision.

It will be noted, under different threads under different topics, that "bad guys" do not willingly engage in firefights with formidably armed opponents under barricade conditions. The culture of cowardice of those bent on ill-will towards their fellow man is a constant and recurring theme amongst those who believe an armed society actually deters crime.

I find myself believing that, and find difficulty in abandoning it, despite the salient points mentioned in this debate.

If I am in a no [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] situation that finds me in a "get ready to shoot" scenario, you'll have to believe that this guy, who has 10+ loaded guns at his disposal, will act accordingly.

Failing that, if I can take one-second out of my time to avoid lawyers, (wrongful) lawsuits, and any other baggage that comes with taking a human life, I will take that one second.

Like I said before, I like having options. Not killing someone is just one of them.
Old January 30, 2001, 03:12 PM   #37
Ned Roundtree

Thanks Eric for the reminders. No... shooting through the door would be a no-no here in this state. And yes the appearance of the evil and military looking black rifle to a jury is not helpful. Home defensive shotgun or pistol would be better swallowed. But if I an fearful for my life and my CAR-15 is there, bad guy go bye bye. And I'm not too sure how the appearance of a Scattergun Tech 870, side saddle, ghost ring sights and tactical sling in black is going to appear to a jury, either. But back to the subject at hand....I'll have to do a little more research on ballistics and ask some folks I know. For me, I am more comfortable with a shotgun and/or 9mm Glock indoors.
Old January 30, 2001, 05:24 PM   #38
huntsman

shotgun or ar15

I agree with the gent's who say if your racking your shotgun with a BG in the house your to late.After you have determined the target is not a friendly the first thing they should hear is Satan saying welcome to hell son.
Old January 30, 2001, 07:27 PM   #39
Jeff White

I Hope I'm Reading Some of These Posts Wrong

I've read a lot here about racking the shotgun as an intimidation factor and a couple thoughts about shooting through the door, but only one post mentioned verbally challenging the intruder.

Laws differ from state to state, I don't think anyone lives under a must retreat standard before they can use force to defend themselves in their home. Here in Illinois you basically must be able to establish that you were legitimately in fear that you or another was in fear of losing your life or in danger of great bodily harm if you took no action.

So given that standard and you are awakened by the sound of breaking glass and footsteps in the hall, what action would you take? You have your AR or 12 gage or handgun accessable.

I would gather the family into the master bedroom, bolt the door and call 911. If the intuder approached I would challenge him/her with "Stop! The police have been called and I have a gun! Any further move towards us will be considered an attack and I will take appropriate action!!" this is said loud enough, close enough to the phone that it gets on tape at the 911 center.

Of course all situations are different and the intruder may not give you time to issue such a challenge before you have to act. When the States Attorney reviews the shooting for affirmative defense so I'm not charged, I'd much rather have him hear that on the 911 tape then the sound of the bolt going forward on my AR15, the slide racking on a pump shotgun or an auto pistol chambering a round. Followed by gunshots.

Jeff