The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 14, 2018, 01:30 PM   #1
simonrichter

Bug out gun (hypothetical) question

Imagine you have one main handgun + say 50 rds of ammo for your bugout bag. Would you prefer having an additional small & cheap, minor caliber (.22lr, .25acp, .32acp) handgun (akin to a Saturday Night Special) with say 25 rounds or would you favour using the weight of the secondary + ammo for more primary ammo?
Old November 14, 2018, 08:57 PM   #2
shurshot

I would prefer the extra ammo for my primary sidearm.
Old November 14, 2018, 09:10 PM   #3
FITASC

No need for another gun, mag and ammo taking up space and weight.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 14, 2018, 09:51 PM   #4
Rachen

No need. I will instead choose to put together a repair and maintenance kit for my existing firearm and also stock up on extra ammo and ammo loading components.

Kit will include extra springs, screws, sears/ratchets and other parts that may become lost or broken easily. It would suck, and I mean suck BAD, if I am in a situation way out in the wilderness well away from any source of help, like starving and ill, and could not hunt because the mainspring on my revolver is broken. Have done numerous OTR runs through the Southwestern desert. Many places along the route, vehicle breakdown might mean death very quickly under the sun. Many guys don't like hauling trailers through that part of the country. That's why carriers want self-driving rigs for straight line runs. But the pay is good for people like me who take the assignments. Doubles and triples, even unbaffled tank lorries are made easier because of such open and wide roads. Modern hi-tech comms equipment, tracking and onboard diagnostics for large rigs are only superficial. Everything else is brains. Remember Murphy's Law. There is a reason why it is called Murphy's LAW. Because it has been proven true time after time. Along with the spare parts like springs and such I might also procure an extra barrel. Other things in the kit would be a few cleaning supplies and basic tools for takedown and field repairs.

One thing that is common in almost all adventure stories, whether it is fact, like the stories of ice road truckers and oilmen in the Alaskan wilds, or fiction like Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet" series of novels, is that gear and equipment, no matter how solid and reliable they are in testing, often fail in real-world conditions, with tragic results. The pessimist (or rather, REALIST) in me, try to arrange for a few more backup strategies just in case.

Last edited by Rachen; November 14, 2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old November 14, 2018, 10:23 PM   #5
big al hunter

If I am bugging out there is likely not a shelter, store, friend, or other way to get food or supplies for many days of hiking. My choice is for a 44 mag primary defense. And a 22 revolver for hunting small game. I am just as likely to encounter bears and cougars as I am 2 legged predators, therefore a 44 mag makes sense to me for primary carry. The most plentiful game would be grouse and rabbits. A 44 mag does a little too much damage to the eating parts. I don't mind the extra weight. Both pistols are less weight than any of my long guns that I would consider taking instead.
Old November 14, 2018, 10:38 PM   #6
Rachen

Quote:
The most plentiful game would be grouse and rabbits. A 44 mag does a little too much damage to the eating parts. I don't mind the extra weight. Both pistols are less weight than any of my long guns that I would consider taking instead.
You got a nice straight-walled .44 that can shoot a big variety of different loads. You can load a few .44 Specials with FMJ and a tiny dollop of powder for perfect small game hunting rounds. Get a 200 grainer going at about 600 feet/sec, that should whack a grouse mighty good with very minimal damage. Have the casings marked with a different color Sharpie dot to tell the small game rounds apart from the big bruisers.
Old November 14, 2018, 10:54 PM   #7
TXAZ

More ammo for the primary gun.

I can only accurately fire 1 weapon at a time.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 14, 2018, 11:02 PM   #8
big al hunter

Quote:
You can load a few .44 Specials with FMJ and a tiny dollop of powder for perfect small game hunting rounds. Get a 200 grainer going at about 600 feet/sec, that should whack a grouse mighty good with very minimal damage.
Yeah, I could do that. I could also load up some shot shells too. But they make louder reports that may atract the 2 legged predators. I don't have an issue with defending myself or my family if needed, but if I can avoid it I will. And I like to KISS ...keep it simple stupid....when I need a full bore 44 mag there might not be time to change the ammo in my cylinder. I carry this same duo when hunting. 44 on strong side and 22 cross draw.
Old November 15, 2018, 12:09 AM   #9
ROCK6

Bugging out is always hypothetical, but simply being prepared (including the habits of carrying and training) is more realistic. I'm very much an advocate of training and simply being prepared to life's circumstances. That said, the moniker of "train as you fight", is more apropos than planning for hypotheticals.

I'll avoid the whole bug-out-bag scenarios as that's mostly inappropriate when it comes to firearms (considering likely events like floods, wildfires, hurricanes, your focus is on traveling quickly not kitting up for a fighting scenario). They shouldn't really be in a bag and ready to go, they should be on your person (or close by in your home or with your vehicle when you travel). Time spent on training with your primary CCW is a much better investment. If you really have a need to keep a firearm in a go-bag, stick with what you primary is...get a second gun set up the same way. Once you start thinking about non-standard firearms that you routinely train with just creates more problems you don't need.

ROCK6
Old November 15, 2018, 11:37 AM   #10
peterg7

Bug out gun (hypothetical) question

I don’t need a bugout scenario to justify a BUG, my LCP frequently goes with me when I’m also toting a bigger gun.

Because the mags for LCP are small and light tossing 2 loaded with .380acp fmj in a bag isn’t an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 15, 2018, 12:21 PM   #11
hdwhit

I don't have a special "bug out" gun. The gun I carry every time I carry is the gun that goes with me when I grab the "bug out" bag. The "bug out" bag just contains some spare loaded magazines.
Old November 15, 2018, 09:31 PM   #12
shurshot

Unless there is a biohazard, radiation, invasion or California type wildfires, in my opinion "Bugging out", is a poor choice. Far too many wack jobs will be waiting to lighten your load (rob you), if not slit your throats, or snipe you from a distance on the roads and trails. Safer to bunker in if at all possible. Store up guns, ammo, water, food, medical supplies and gardening tools, seeds, etc.
A "Get home" bag is more appealing to me. If I'm on the road, at work, etc. and roads close down, EMP attack, etc., I'm going home, one way or another. Like others, my .44 Mag 29-10 S&W appeals to me for 2 and 4 legged varmints, as would a .22 Ruger pistol for small game. Extra ammo for both. Fishing line, hooks, poncho, trauma pack, knives, energy bars, rammen noodle packs, h2o filtration straw, cash, compass, lighter, multi tool, hatchet, space blanket, map, solar-hand crank radio with USB charger, small green tarp, paracord, duct tape, mess kit, TP, soap, hiking boots and extra socks, all crammed into a big dark blue backpack.etc. Camouflage draws unwanted attention... I want to blend in, look like an old LL Bean poster boy out hiking.

Last edited by shurshot; November 15, 2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old November 15, 2018, 09:38 PM   #13
Dano4734

No bug out for me. I got all my guns reloading stuff , game, why leave
Old November 15, 2018, 11:36 PM   #14
Rachen

Quote:
Unless there is a biohazard, radiation, invasion or California type wildfires, in my opinion "Bugging out", is a poor choice. Far too many wack jobs will be waiting to lighten your load (rob you), if not slit your throats, or snipe you from a distance on the roads and trails. Safer to bunker in if at all possible. Store up guns, ammo, water, food, medical supplies and gardening tools, seeds, etc.
A "Get home" bag is more appealing to me. If I'm on the road, at work, etc. and roads close down, EMP attack, etc., I'm going home, one way or another. Like others, my .44 Mag 29-10 S&W appeals to me for 2 and 4 legged varmints, as would a .22 Ruger pistol for small game. Extra ammo for both. Fishing line, hooks, poncho, trauma pack, knives, energy bars, rammen noodle packs, h2o filtration straw, cash, compass, lighter, multi tool, hatchet, space blanket, map, solar-hand crank radio with USB charger, small green tarp, paracord, duct tape, mess kit, TP, soap, hiking boots and extra socks, all crammed into a big dark blue backpack.etc. Camouflage draws unwanted attention... I want to blend in, look like an old LL Bean poster boy out hiking.
I just re-read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and read the novelization of the "Homefront" game. Very chilling stuff. One thing that "preppers", and I am talking about the ones who base their prepping from movies and who intends to "play hero" after disaster strikes, fail to realize, is that they will be facing a lot of competition from other armed folks once the SHTF and it will not be a meet & greet at the mall. If normal, civilized life produces an already high amount of criminals, psychopaths and predators, imagine how it would be like after civilization collapses. There will be bands of cutthroats roaming around for no other purpose than sadistic torture and murder. If someone thinks they can be strutting around in the sunlight with an AR slung over their shoulder and wearing a camo pack or fatigues, they will not make it a few steps before they get set upon by wolf packs of psychos and brigands. Because in that reality, you are not a badass walking around with that rifle and pistol. You are a walking jumble sale and plenty of people are going to show up with shopping carts ready to relieve you of your inventory. Problem is, they don't intend to pay and they see your very life as yet another item on that inventory too.

There is a reason why in medieval Japan, samurai will travel the country always in the disguise of a poor peasant, a farmer going to market or a traveling monk, with their swords well concealed in their shoulder-poles or walking sticks. Because in a land where samurai are seen as oppressors by many common folk and competition by other clan warriors, a warrior is not going to boast to everybody around him that he is a warrior. Those who do so do not live very long. Likewise, those who are stupid enough to be displaying or brandishing weapons in places where weapons are common often end up slumped on the ground, ruefully staring at the hole opened up in their chest or stomach and wondering "how the f*** did that happen?" as they are bleeding to death. When all Hell has broken loose, the worst mistake someone can make is failing to keep a low profile. Display a weapon or high-tech gadget on you, especially with a strutting, arrogant style? That is simply an insult, threat, challenge and invitation all at once, and there are plenty of people who will gladly take up such a challenge and let you know what they think of you and your tiny little gun. After they have taken it from you and left you dying in a pool of your own blood that is.

When a situation becomes dire enough that evacuation or relocation is the only choice, only do so discreetly and under the cover of darkness. Blend in with your surroundings and move only when you are certain that you cannot be spotted or distinguished from the background noise. Automobiles may be tempting, comfortable and fast and there may be plenty of them laying around, maybe even with fuel ready to go, but if you happen to be the only person kicking up dust down that highway when no other vehicles are moving or even in sight, you just painted a big old bullseye on your chest. Ever see flies swarm a decomposing and liquefying animal carcass? That would be a similar scene of what is going to happen to you. When situations have deteriorated to this level of madness, survival becomes an issue of pure necessity and innovation, not pride or heroism. If you have to cover yourself with the putrid liquid from a rotting animal and put on clothes soaked in sewage or blood in order to pass yourself off as a "disease ridden individual", so no one would suspect that you have an entire week worth of food and a gun with 400 rounds of ammunition tucked into your traveling bag, that is what you are going to have to do if you intend on putting as many miles under your feet as possible. That is what survival means.
Old November 16, 2018, 09:28 AM   #15
cslinger

People see bug out and fantasize about Yellowstone blowing up, and EMP weapon, nuclear or bio weapons, lions and tigers and zombies ohhh my!!!

I tend to track a little closer to the middle of the bell curve so to speak.

Bugging out for me likely means a weather event or some other fairly large event causing damage to my house like a fire, maybe at the FAR end of the spectrum some minor civil unrest.

Bugging out to me is not heading to the hills in a Mohawk with chaps and no pants on living like a sighted Eli but involves me moving in with a friend or family elsewhere.

So for me my small get out of dodge pack has some food, some protein bars, extra glasses, drugs, some basic medical supplies, basic tools, batteries, flashlight(s), knife/knives, water, water bottle, 4 pistol mags, a spot for a handgun, notepad pencil/pen, matches, chargers for phones etc. electrical and or duct tape, and a few other odds and ends I am likely forgetting about.

The point is for me I don’t plan on Mad Max, I plan on Motel 6.
Old November 16, 2018, 10:08 AM   #16
lamarw

I am with a few others and bugging in. I live where I can fish, hunt and plant a garden. I have plenty of water and firewood.

I have shelter and a comfortable bed. I do not have to rough it.

I also will not treat strangers entering my domain kindly.

If you plan to buging out, watch out for who's property or domain you might me entering.

The bugging ins belief is the bugging out's are looking to take what is not theirs.

If you ever had the chance to talk to anyone who lived in the country, not in the city, during the Great Depression, you will find out property owner's were very protective of their wildlife and farm animals. Wild game was over hunted and extremely scarce.

Instead of the un-romantic dream of bugging out, one should be more realistic. Develop a plan for ownership of a remote property to survive on vs. living foot loose and fancy free.
Old November 16, 2018, 10:11 AM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

We really don't do End of the War bug out scenarios. So, I'm closing it.

Sorry.